• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I get the Ken Burns effect on Premiere Pro CC 2015?

Explorer ,
Jan 24, 2016 Jan 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do NOT refer me to a video tutorial for an out of date version, which is all I have found by searching here. Video tutorials make me sit through 10 minutes to get an answer that can be given in one minute, or to learn that the content of the video is irrelevant to the current version (that is a general observation, not just relevant to this question)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want a list of things to do for a Ken Burns effect, a tutorial is the best way to learn. In PrPro, one general uses the Motion effects for that type of work. It involves moving, zooming in and out with keyframes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With respect, the videos linked from the search of Adobe support diverged from my version (for example, the clip popup menu looks nothing like the current one). If you have a video tutorial that explains how to do this in the current version, please post the link

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There have been changes to the program over the years, but the specific method used to do this remains unchanged.  I'm sure YouTube would have something.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The method hasn't changed.  Any video tutorial for any version of Premiere Pro would still apply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI Alfonso:

Taking a closer look at your question "how do I get the Ken Burns effect on" (operative word being "on"), the answer is that you don't.  Or, that you can't.  (Prior responses have probably made that clear, but just in case they haven't I thought I'd state that.)

Unlike Apple iMovie where it's fully automated and Apple Final Cut Pro X where it's pre-configure to push in or push out, Adobe Premiere Pro requires that you manually set Scale keyframes.

Here's a very quick rundown (this assumes some familiarity with Premiere Pro):

1. In the Sequence panel, assemble your still images as you would like them to be presented and add Transitions (to quickly add Transitions, select all of the clips in the Sequence and then choose Sequence > Apply Video Transition).
  2. In the Effect Controls tab, expand Motion and add a Scale keyframe at the start of the transition at the head of your footage and add another at the end of the transition at the tail of your footage.  For a push-in, change the 2nd Scale keyframe from 100% to a greater value.  For a pull-out, change the 1st Scale keyframe from 100% to a greater value.  The other keyframe can remain at 100%.  As far as setting a keyframe to something greater than 100%, 105% to 110% should be good; however, it depends on the picture and the duration of the still image.
  3. To re-use the Motion Effect Controls that you've just created on other footage quickly, either save a preset (Effect presets in Premiere Pro‌) to be applied to other footage in the Sequence or copy and paste attributes (Paste attributes to multiple clips in Premiere Pro | Adobe Premiere Pro CC tutorials) to other footage in the Sequence.

(If you save the Motion as a preset and name it "Warren Heaton effect - Push-in" or "Warren Heaton effect - Push-out", I would not object!  )

-Warren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. This has gotten me partway there. What is the coordinate system? I have 1080p video and I'm trying to insert a couple of still images that I have saves as 1920 wide jpg, and I want to have a vertical pan effect. I sort of got it, but I think by accident.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like almost all Adobe programs, the upper left corner is 0, 0.  In Premiere Pro, the units are pixels.

The Position value is where the Anchor Point is located on the Sequence.

From what you've indicated, you'd want to create Position keyframes with or without Scale keyframes.

You might also find it helpful to set the Anchor Point over the area of interest in the picture.

-Warren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 25, 2016 Jan 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I bet you did not look in the Youtube Ttutorials link, even one made with 2015.

The key note in a KB effect is that the image is twice as big as the framesize to avoid qualityloss.

KB (otherwise knowm as the pan and zoom effect) is not just adjusting scale but also position at the same time.

If both applied the keyframes most of the time need to be linear to avoid strange behavior.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 19, 2017 Apr 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2018 May 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this can only be installed on a mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 31, 2018 May 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'll simplify my answer: Two keyframes for the Scale parameter, then Copy and Paste Attributes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines