• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How Do To Remove Compression Noise from Flog?

Enthusiast ,
Mar 09, 2022 Mar 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a still of my video in fLog:

trashcaneron_0-1646872122478.png

Looks fine until I grade it!

trashcaneron_1-1646872182776.png

Tons of noise / artifacting in the background gradient.

trashcaneron_2-1646872418163.png

A lot of banding happening.

Any solutions out there? Seems to me an algorithm could fix it 🙂 

TOPICS
Effects and Titles , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Depending on the bits ... the total chroma/luma data in the file ... you can only go so far before banding/artifacting come to join the party. And you're doing some pretty heavy changes there. That would take a very properly exposed 10-bit file, if not 12-bit, to work well.

And if this is 8-bit, well ... you can't get there from "here".

So ... what is that media, what shot it? Your original is pretty low in contrast, and you're upping it a LOT ... maybe lighting for higher contrast and adding some gels in shooting will get you a good share of the way "there" and you won't have to grade so hard.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Neil - ! Thanks for chiming in. It's 4:2:0. I suspect under-exposed gradients are where 8-bit really screws you. In my particular case, the BG imagery is so simple that I'd think there's some plug-in that could do it. I remember using "smooth screen" as a technique for this in the past. 

Forgot to mention - the background color is definitely power windowed which doesn't help me either ! 

Here's what I've tried:

- Neat Video Reduce Noise V5 (not great on debanding after removing other noise, which it is great at)

- RG Denoiser III (did nothing for me for this type of thing)

- Flicker Free (this is not what this product is for, but it's fixed other things for me magically before so gave it a shot in the off chance the banding is consistent enough to be analogous to refresh bands)

- Boris FX Deband (I can see how this could be massively useful but wasn't quite right to solve this issue)

What actually worked best? Instead of using Lumetri:

• I used Colorista's Key Mode to cutout the BG as cleanly as possible, knowing not to push the limit too much.
  • Then I threw a Magic Bullet looks set up on top of it (because I've built out my Lumetri setup clone in MB looks to A/B things in the past) and.... the banding is almost completely unoticeable. Crazy. 

MB Looks shows all kinds of gnarly banding in its preview window (a gripe I have with RG's previewer not being WSIWYG):

image.png

Full Quality:

trashcaneron_1-1646886335682.png

Whaaaaa??? Still there but so smooth now. Mission accomplished it seems (though I'd prefer to use Lumetri). 

Then, just for fun, I turn Neat Video On and render the frame and I end up with this:

trashcaneron_2-1646886561423.png

Hmmm it's almost as if there's something happening within the Premiere engine that interprets noise and compression differently... The footage is HEVC H265 whcih I know has a whole host of problems with Adobe. This one is really specific! 

For those encountering a similar banding issue, the solve might be "as simple as rethinking your FX stack." 🤣

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Continuing to tweak and I'm pretty happy with this, all things considered:

trashcaneron_0-1646887748537.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines