• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do you turn off Auto-Tagging Audio in Premiere v 24.0?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 10, 2023 Oct 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every time I drop a clip into a sequence, Premiere is now trying to Auto-Tag Audio, and I have to click to cancel it.

How do I stop this from occuring automatically?

TOPICS
Audio , Editing , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 13, 2024 Jun 13, 2024

You need to turn this off in the Preferences

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 3 Pinned Replies

Adobe Employee , Oct 31, 2023 Oct 31, 2023

It is sad the feature which was enabled automatically to help people speed up audio tagging process, is actually not being much help. We are already working on the gaps and very soon coming up with the updated version.

However, in the latest release 24.0 the automatic tagging feature is set to Off by default. In case you are seeing the process getting triggered automatically on dropping anything on timeline, please clean your Premiere Prefrences. 

Here is a help doc to clean preferences in Pr-

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Nov 02, 2023 Nov 02, 2023

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Nov 20, 2023 Nov 20, 2023

Really sorry to hear about the issue you are facing. We are already working on the fixes and coming up with updates in the 24.1 beta & 24.2 release version.

@Wheelus In case you don't want to reset all the preferences but only the auto tagging ones, here are the steps:

1. Open the preferences file on your machine

MAC:

/Users/<user>/Documents/Adobe/Premiere\ Pro/24.0/Profile-<user>/Adobe\ Premiere\ Pro\ Prefs/

Users/<user>/Documents/Adobe/Premiere\ Pro\ \(Beta\)/24.0/Profile-<user>/Adobe\ Pr

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't had a chance to look at the Preferences yet. Is there an option for this in the Audio prefs, or maybe on the sequence right-click menu?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi R Neil,

Not that I can see in either location.

Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 11, 2023 Oct 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AnnBens_0-1697029552437.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 11, 2023 Oct 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, that does nothing.  Background task is still trying to generate Auto Tagging, hogging system resources.

Top right of screen shows circle, trying to complete all audio tracks auto tagging, every time a clip is dropped onto sequence timeline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 19, 2023 Oct 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have the same issue. Once i decide to wait but after fue days its hapaning again. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Denis23397902ap5n_0-1697739159799.png

Denis23397902ap5n_1-1697739165465.png

I think that's why Adobe does it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing for me.
Every time I import a file into the timeline, the process starts over again and it is impossible to use the program.
Looking through all the settings, there is no option to disable this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2023 Oct 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hahaha what a nightmare. I'm glad other people are going crazy with this. I looked everywhere, I couldn't find how to stop this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2023 Oct 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Slows down my sequences like crazy and its not a feature I want rn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 25, 2023 Oct 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Adobe, when will this be fixed??

How can such buggy software be unleashed onto paying customers without proper vetting before it gets released?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 26, 2023 Oct 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are apparently only some getting hit by this in an "unhappy" way. Not nearly the rest of us. So you're in a ... "special" ... group. Been there myself.

I had to wait for three months for one major version to work on my system a few years back, and well ... I kept working in the previous while testing the new builds coming out. There were only a small percentage of us in that mess, most users were simply blasting away in the new one.

Sorry, it sucks to not be able to use the new one with the neat new tools. But they'll get this sorted. In the meantime, just keep working in 23.x ... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2023 Oct 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2023 Oct 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same Problem!

What the hell @adobe. I have to open giant projects with hundrets of files in a timeline and it's completely unusable for the time it's auto tagging. Completely slow, glitchy strobing audio tracks and all that for dozens of minutes without an option to turn that off. Also it's generating waveforms during that period which only makes the timeline even slower... 

FIX IT ASAP!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@mattchristensen  please, some folks could use some help here! Could you pop in or connect to someone who could?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving it to Discussions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 29, 2023 Oct 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there an update for the Auto-Tagging Audio bug? Do we have to fill out request for a BUG? I already downloaded the Davinci Resolve. I think it's the response to all the nonsens bugs deliberatly implemented latelly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe @mstegner might be able to hop in and assist?

As to Resolve ... I work for/with/teach pro colorists. Mostly based in Resolve of course. So I use it regularly, am comfortable "over there" ... and am active on the BM and LGG forums.

I think the problem is not "Adobe" ... as much as trying to be one software for all hardware, media, effects, and workflows. Which Resolve is trying to be also. And both the LGG and especially BM forums have plenty of complaints about bugs, odd/bizarre behavior, questions for if ANYONE knows of a stable build, all that stuff.

So ... the particular things may work better for you there ... or ... perhaps not.

And Resolve is a grading app that's added editing functions. And is still, as of the 18.x builds, lacking a lot of features for editing that Premiere has. Johhny Elwyn can give you a long list ... but if you can get by without those, hey, I've got freinds that love it.

Personally, I prefer Premiere's UI.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry, but I totally disagree. They will release a new version forcing people to upgrade again and get discover new bugs. They just don't fix things. It's the same issue with the Microsoft. They all release pre-alpha software and the noobs that decide to be fair and pay for it are te cobay! This is the wrong way for productivity. Yes, it's good marketing and they get a lot of money from people that wants a new shiny button, maybe a rainbow somewhere in a corner. There a unfixed huge bugs for years in all productivity software that are passed on from a version to another, but adding all kind of useless stuff instead.
Ok, you automaticly activated the auto tagging that slows down hugelly a $8.000 PC. But put a damn button to turn it off!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyway, it's only my fault because I got tricked to upgrade to a new version that literraly brings nothing new.

5 times faster timeline 🙂 yeah, I must be some special kind of noob to such a nonsens. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand the frustration. That's a nasty bug that is affecting some, but only some, users. And if you're one of the "lucky ones", it's a royal pain. Been there done that.

But ... to say they're any worse at this time than Resolve or whomever ... I can't agree. And Pr has a lot more editing functionality still than Resolve. Which ... as noted ... is having more performance and bug issues every release.

They're both, for the vast majority of their users, doing very well. And both, for some of their users, are pretty cruddy. At least with the Adobe CC setup, it's pretty easy to test a new major version, while keeping all previous versions installed and working. I mean, why take a risk? You don't need to.

With Resolve, well ... it's a right pain to 'test' a new version. You need a second paid copy on another machine, or ... be willing to uninstall, dupe your database, install the new one, update the duped database, try some work ... and if it doesn't work, then you've got to uninstall, reboot, reinstall the old one ... link back to the old database.

With Adobe? Install the new version, create a project in it. From the MediaBrowser, import assets of an earlier version project. Test. If it ain't working, simply close that version. Open your old one and keep working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 31, 2023 Oct 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is sad the feature which was enabled automatically to help people speed up audio tagging process, is actually not being much help. We are already working on the gaps and very soon coming up with the updated version.

However, in the latest release 24.0 the automatic tagging feature is set to Off by default. In case you are seeing the process getting triggered automatically on dropping anything on timeline, please clean your Premiere Prefrences. 

Here is a help doc to clean preferences in Pr-

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-discussions/faq-how-to-reset-trash-preferences-in-premie...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, fine, but how do I do that?

How does one "Clean your Premiere Preferences"?

There is no obvious setting in Preferences or to turn off Auto Tagging.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They have instructions on dumping preferences and cache in the things like the post always near the top of the forum on troubleshooting performance problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines