• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to edit the actual text within essential graphics?

New Here ,
Apr 20, 2017 Apr 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have updated to the most current premiere pro. I have the panel for essential graphics open I have browsed for the Bold Title click on bold title and then click edit. How do I edit the text, this may be stupid but I have spent the past 30 minutes trying to figure out what is wrong with premiere pro. Then again I may just be stupid?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 20, 2017 Apr 20, 2017

Hi stingray.s,

Text can be edited in Program monitor using Type tool.

Select the title in the timeline > Select Type tool in the tools panel > edit the text in Program monitor.

Please let us know if you have any other issues.

Thanks,

Vidya

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 20, 2017 Apr 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi stingray.s,

Text can be edited in Program monitor using Type tool.

Select the title in the timeline > Select Type tool in the tools panel > edit the text in Program monitor.

Please let us know if you have any other issues.

Thanks,

Vidya

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 22, 2017 May 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, text can be edited in the graphics panel...so how come I can't seem to use standard key combos that have been in use since Mac and Windows FIRST BEGAN? The ONLY one that works is Ctrl-A (Select All). Go back a word? Nope. Select word? Nope. Go to the keyboard shortcuts window and it's all gray for Essential Graphics. Only deselect is available to map. No other commands are available. These work in the old Titler, in Photoshop, in Illustrator etc. but why not for — sake here?

Can anyone say "NOT READY FOR PRIME TIME", boys and girls? Or would Adobe like a few nice lawsuits for causing carpal tunnel because the only way to edit these items is with the MOUSE which is very wrist intensive, a reason professional editors tend to use as many keyboard shortcuts as possible. HELP!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand the frustration with the new EGP. There are some things it can do that couldn't be done before or at least easily. And other things that it doesn't have the capability to do ... yet. The roll-out of the new feature wasn't what I'd have suggested, but oh well.

For some things you still need to use the old titler, available now via File/New/Legacy Title, and ... I created a Titler custom workspace for it. I also assigned Shift-T to File/New/Legacy Title in the keyboards shortcut box so I can pop it up at need.

And created a custom EGP workspace also, for when I use that.

In time, the EGP will be a vast improvement over the old setup. But you're right, it doesn't have the full tool-set yet. Still, I'll take it as an addition to what PrPro can do for the moment.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No you're right. It's like going back to WordPerfect and DOS (thinking when I started in this business in 1988). No...wait! WordPerfect HAD a way to select text word, sentence or paragraph with the keyboard. Whoever released this without those most basic tools should have something to answer for. It CAN'T be so difficult to put those basic tools in that they needed to release and then build the toolkit. We're kind of a captive audience, and I'm more than a little disgusted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As the "Legacy" Titler is still available, feel free to use that as it does still have the wider set of tools.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2017 May 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wow im dumb! Thank you for this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 15, 2017 Sep 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seriously, one of the most unintuitive panels I've ever seen. Why not just double click on the text and then change it, or double click on where it says, "New Text Layer" and be able to edit it there. You have to select the text tool? Yeesh guys.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 15, 2017 Sep 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

File the feature report ... and they've been very clear, they do want those for the EGP. They released it as-was to get comments before they went further with it. As a couple members of the development team have stated on here. And ... it's pretty rare when the engineers post on here. So ... notable.

Neil

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 05, 2018 May 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like designed by amateurs! what a silly input text box design, deplorable

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Mar 08, 2022 Mar 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, yes.

I have already said this more than once. The second problem is similar with the Color panel.

It requires balancing workspaces for a new toolkit and placing all the tools in their place, and not across the entire program in different places.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2017 Apr 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for asking this question. I felt like something was missing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 17, 2017 Jul 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a video for this? I'm missing something

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 17, 2017 Jul 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're talking about the Essential Graphics thing ... here's some over-views and detailed looks at how to use it ... the first a short but good over-view, the second a slightly different view and posted by one of the developers of the EG panel, the last two more in-depth on using it. As the "philosophy" is rather different, starting with the over-views is useful.

Essential Graphics Links:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAoZme5rOfM&t=205s

https://vimeo.com/211404007

http://www.retooled.net/?p=1693

http://www.retooled.net/?p=1696

As to using the old titler, it's available via File/New/Legacy Titles ... and it's useful to make a custom workspace for it. Also, check the FAQ section of the overview page for this forum, there's a lot of stuff there on it.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 26, 2017 Jul 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I do have a similar problem too. What I noticed is that if there are no other clips in the timeline, everything works fine, but if I have something else and I'm trying to add some text on top of another element, I can add the text, but if I try to edit it in any way, I follow the same steps but when I click on the text to edit it it selects the layer underneath so I can't edit it, even if the other layers are locked.

So I need to move the text to a place in the timeline where there's nothing else below it and then I can select and edit the text.

Very awkward.

Any help would really be appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turn off Selection Follows Playhead under the Sequence menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately it makes no difference. It was turned off in the first place, and then tried on and off and it behaves the same way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got it.

That trick worked for another user, so I took a shot.  As I am unable to reproduce this behavior (it just works for me), I'm not sure what else to suggest except some general troubleshooting.

Unofficial Premiere Pro Troubleshooting Guide

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 27, 2017 Jul 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. It's a long list to go through and maybe at some point I'll go through it. I did uninstall and install again, and tried the same file and the same thing still happens, but this time I tried something else, and I just realised the layer that keeps getting selected (the one underneath) is an essential graphics template I saved from After Effects. Once I removed that one, it works!

It certainly make things a little easier for me.

Anyway, thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 18, 2017 Sep 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you select the layer and then move it down the timeline to where there are no other clips, it's editable. Select the type tool (t) and click on the text and you should be able to edit it. Totally unintuitive, but that's what works for me...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 01, 2018 Jan 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any update on this?

Is there seriously no way to select a few words and make font smaller with shortcut?

(It was annoying enough that the old Title tool didn't have shortcuts consistent with Illustrator and Premiere; this is even worse. It's like there's no one at Adobe that actually uses all these tools at once.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2018 Mar 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ive got this problem too - how hard can it be to edit the text coming up next - ive tried all the above - still none the wiser!

The adobe rule - why do something simply when complicated can be done

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2020 Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How is it 2020 and this is STILL an issue???!  Seriously - I have been using Premiere a long time.  Sometimes I can easily select the text and replace it, and other times it simply adds a new text layer or even a new title - with seemingly no rhyme or reason!  Drives me NUTS!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 23, 2020 Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've no clue what the problem is you're having, so it would help to have more detail. Premiere does as I expect from having worked with it. Depending of course on whether I have the T "text" tool active and whether I click or double-click within a text box or next to it. Inside, I add to the text. Outside, it makes a new text entry point ... or of course text box if I click/drag.

Click to select an item in the EGP or ECP, and it selects that item as active in the Program monitor. I can use the controls to move it.

And now they have a decent selection of text keyboard shortcuts you can use if you go into the Keyboard shortcut window and set them. Finally.

So ... give us some details, maybe we can figure out the troubles. And also lament with you.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 07, 2022 Mar 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Took me about 30 minutes to figure out, but it seems like there is a bug in Premiere Pro when attempting to edit an existing Essential Graphics clip, if there are certain Effects applied to the clip... (ATTN Premiere Devs!)

Under Effects > Graphics > Vector Motion, if you have customized anything here, toggle the "FX" off to deactivate the effect. (If you applied any other effects that may change positioning, scaling, etc, then deactivate those too). Then try to double-click, highlight, etc in your Essential Graphics.

Once you are finished with your edits, you can reactivate those Effects.

It seems that when you are clicking/highlighting/etc within Essential Graphics, it does not consider the Vector Motion that you see in the Program Monitor when it calculates where you are clicking vs where in the graphic that corresponds to, or it performs that calculation incorrectly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines