• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How To Make Clips Vertical For (or before) Import?

Explorer ,
Jun 03, 2022 Jun 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I shot my clips with my camera vertically but the source monitor plays them horizontally. I would like to make the clips vertical before the important so that they play on the source monitor in vertical orientation and not just in the playback for the timeline (which changing sequence settings does). I am using Premiere Pro 2022 on Windows 10. How do I do this? Thank you.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, you did not shoot your clips vertically, you just held the phone? Vertically. The camera setting were most likely still in a horizontal setting.

This is a phone 'issue'. You need to correct that in your phone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the reply, I shot it on a Canon R5 mirrorless camera and held the camera vertically. I will have to look into horizontal settings on the camera then.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @ColdPizza , do you have some screenshot of your PP?

-Office : Adobe || Home : Resolve-

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Eko, here is a screenshot with a crude drawing of what I'm looking for. I would like the source (marked 1) to be vertical like the program (maked 2).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been curious about this since your previous thread:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-discussions/how-do-i-change-the-source-monitor-s-aspect-...

I could not get any of my vertical videos to "misbehave." They are all Galaxy S21 Ultra phone videos that I shot in portrait mode (vertical), and they all open in the source monitor vertically.

I looked at them in Media Info (and also using an exif metadata tool), and their dimensions are actually "horizontal." The only difference between my horizontal and vertical phone video is that the vertical video adds a "Rotation" parameter of 90 degrees. PR apparently understands this and interprets the pixel dimensions correctly?

Are you shooting vertical with a regular camera? What is the device you are shooting with? What does Media Info show? (Post a screenshot in "tree" view.)

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stan, if shooting with a phone in vertical position and the settings in the phone are not set to vertical but rather horizontal. Then yes you are seeing a horizontal preview in the Source Monitor (we are not talking Program monitor because that behaves differently).

This behavior is not uncommon in phones. Its a user error: not paying attention to the orientation.

The orientation of the file in say an iPhone is easy to correct in the iPhone itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I shot it on a Canon R6 mirrorless camera. I have been looking into it and it seems so far that I'm SOL and going forward I have to enable the screen rotation option which tells other devices which side is up. I have a lot of vertical footage I didn't do this with though so hopefully there is a way for me to re orientate that footage without having to scrub through it all with my head turns sideways. Here is the tree view.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 04, 2022 Jun 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am guessing auto rotation only applies to stills and not movies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 04, 2022 Jun 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> I'm SOL

Yes, get the setting correct for the future. For these clips, I'm thinking you might be able to edit the metadata and add Rotation = 90 degrees? E.g. exiftool?

But bottom line, it really isn't the end of the world if you have to bring the source clip into a sequence to edit.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 12, 2022 Jun 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Stan, I'll check out exiftool and try that. Unfortunately I have 4 hours of footage split up into 250+ clips that I am supposed to condense into 1 minute. What I did was, I have a powerful laptop that is plugged into a monitor and so the monitor was used for the main editing right side up but I kept my laptop propped on its side and had the source monitor playing through that screen only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines