Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

I have to render again everytime i reopen Premiere Pro 2017, why ? solution ?

Participant ,
Jun 17, 2017 Jun 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The bar above the clips is yellow again after reopening although before saving last time the bar was all green after rendering. Happens everytime i reopen premiere pro

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you need to render?

Red, yellow, and green render bars and what they mean « Premiere Pro work area

(I do not have a solution for lost render files).

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Off course I need to render otherwise the footage is choppy when the bar is yellow even at 1/4 of a resolution

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it choppy because of effects?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no, there are really no effects. its 4k compressed, not raw, and i have 16 gb ram etc, i thought usually with yellow bar it is choppy, that's why people render , right ?   If Premiere Pro is the flagship I would think there is a solution to this and to other bugs they have

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK.

Instead of creating previews, I recommend using the Proxy process.  You should notice a significant improvement in responsiveness.  Stick to the included GoPro Cineform presets.

Work offline using proxy media |

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim's advice is spot-on. Using the long-GOP heavily compressed media of most DSLR's is a right b-tard on hardware when you have the needs of an NLE for cutting/selecting bits of media here & there. Nothing to do with PrPro being "bad", it's the nature of the media. The spendy high-end rigs that colorists use don't even handle 4k long-GOP well. In anything.

The ProRes and other intraframe media in 8k normally plays back in an NLE easier than 4k long-GOP H.264 or mov.

And as to the yellow bar, even on my desktop editing rig, I rarely have green above my sequences ... and even with 'full' media in say 1080 with some grading & cutting, I rarely have a dropped frame even though the whole sequence is covered with a yellow bar.

That's a warning of possible dropped frames.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 27, 2021 Jul 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Coming to these forums can be frustrating. I've read thru these answers and found nothing that could help this person. Nothing.

The question asks, 'why do I have to re-reender an already rendered timeline each time I re-open a project?' [I'm noticing the same thing, BTW. This didn't used to happen, which is par for PP.] No one had a straight answer. Just ridiculously complicated stipulations and 'work-arounds'. I HATE work-arounds. The program should just work.

Adobe pushes their many problems off on the end user - like it's something WE did wrong. Then quietly - behind the scenes - the problem magically disappears and the program returns to normal functioning. I repeat, this green line back to red didn't happen before. Once green always green. There's a fly in the pudding.

I read, Adobe is coming on board with Blender. Honest to Darwin, my first reaction was oh no, please don't.

Hi, we're Adobe and we've come to help.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, this is an 'ancient' thread ...

Next this issue it can be one of several things. Including making changes to something that affects that bit of timeline that doesn't seem like it should. Or the locations of the various temp and cache files, and how the computer is regulating them separately from PrPro. And probably a dozen other things.

Yea, it can be frustrating.

Of course, a lot of people don't understand the difference between rendering ... which only creates a 'preview' that is used as long as nothing changes to the clip/sequence, and render & replace, which creates a completely new clip with the effects 'baked in'. I do a lot more R&R than I do renders these days.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jones1351:

Sorry to hear that you're not finding helpful information in the forums.  I've always found it to be a wealth of great information.

Something to know about the Green Line is that it can only stay green as long as the project link to the rendered video files is maintained.  Organizing your work such that project links remain is a best practice, not a workaround.  It's important to know what and where the "Adobe Premiere Pro Video Previews" folder is and more importantly, the folder with the same name as the Premiere Pro project file that ends with ".PRV".

If you read through this thread, you should see that that issue was solved for the original poster who then asked other questions about how long it takes to copy and import files.

What did you hear about "Adobe coming on board Blender"?  I suspect that you meant Adobe Substance.  In general, the forums are more helpful is things are clearly stated.

If you find another resource for assistance with Adobe software, kindly report back on what this is.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2021 Sep 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the exact same issue on a brand new workstation with dedicated scratch, cache and OS disks that are huge. Did you ever find a solution?

I read the entire thread and it's not very helpful. I'm an IT guy with 23 plus years experience and I've been editing since 2005 so I know it's not a space / hardware issue. The issue really is Adobe and a recent one because I've been experiencing this in the last four months or so.

Anyone with any idea why this happens with just closing AP and re-opening the project the next day for example?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Sep 17, 2021 Sep 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I will admit the information in these forums can be confusing sometimes and Premeire Pro can be buggy at times. I would file a bug report. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2020 Mar 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this same question. I have to re-render everytime I open. Does anybody have an actual answer on how to make my renders stay rendered?

Yes I need to render, like Julian.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 10, 2020 Mar 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a workstation side issue.  

You need to take a look at your Scratch Disk setting for Video Previews in the Project Settings and choose a location that is always available when the project file is open.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 20, 2017 Jun 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all for your answers, I'll look into it. Another problem that I haven't really get an answer from Adobe is that although my 4k compressed mp4 video files upload fast within seconds to my computer from my harddrive , it takes about 5 minutes (and now often stuck so i need to reboot my computer) for those same mp4 or mov files to upload from my external harddrive to Premiere Pro. What is the solution ? I have 16 bg ram in the computer and and changed the ram for other application from 5 to 8gb suggestion from Adobe when I called, which helped and the usb port from harddrive to my computer is is 3.0. But its still aweful. Thanks for your help in advance.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 20, 2017 Jun 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere Pro doesn't move files from drive to drive ... so it's not 'uploading' anything. If you're talking time after using the Media Browser panel to select, then right-click/Import the media ... and five minutes before PrPro is done with cache files, that's what it's doing ... making cache files.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 21, 2017 Jun 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neil you seem to have a lot of knowledge.  So to try to clarify your answer from the solution's perspective to a layman : So when opening Premiere Pro and while media browser automatically starts to upload the video files, in order to make the upload more effective, I should right click somewhere ? or uncheck cache files box somewhere ?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Terms mean something, and certainly have the power to confuse ... "uploading" is the process of copying files from one media to another hardware setup, such as uploading from a memory card from a camera to a computer hard-drive/SSD.

When you start up PrPro, it doesn't "upload" anything ... it loads files into RAM and looks through the cache files for data applicable to the current project loaded. Depending on what it finds it may create ("generate") audio cache and "pek" files and a few other things. This is probably part of what you're seeing.

The Media Browser doesn't automatically upload anything ... it only imports what files you use it to navigate to on disc, select, and then click import.

When you use the Media Browser to import files, it doesn't move them anywhere ... it only imports the data about those files into the PrPro media cache database. Depending on how many & what type of media or other assets you're importing, it will generate data for the internal database about that media, so PrPro knows what to do with that media. After "importing" assets into PrPro, you utilize them from the Project Panel.

When you create bins in PrPro's Project panel, and move things into them, whether sequences, clips, sub-clips, graphics, whatever, nothing is moved on disc. PrPro's bins are a "virtual" means of organizing where you collect and access bits of your project from within PrPro. PrPro's bins have nothing whatever to do with where the media is stored in the computer.

Does that help some?

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, it is certainly a thorough long answer with knowledge. Regarding my problem though I'm still trying to find a solution

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How full is that external drive?

Where are your Adobe Premiere folders "Media Cache" and "Media Cache Files"  located?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Plenty of space in the external harddrive .  Video preview files also saved in that external harddrive same location.   But Media Cache Database is in in the computer's internal harddrive as Adobe is.  It seems that I have problems mainly when the media browser "uploads" a large amount of video files from a particular folder with the most amount of video files in it from my external harddrive.  Also when i open premiere pro it says missing files , which I just cancel and proceed so i don't think that's the problem.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess I do not understand the Media Browser maybe because I rarely use it.  Once the files are in Project Window what does the Media Browser have to do with the project.  I thought the Media Browser was just used to locate files and once located it should not be involved in restarting a project.  Or am I wrong on that.

As you can afford it you will find SSD's are the way to go.  On this laptop I can very comfortably and smoothly edit files with long GOP structure like my son's GoPro 4K media at full resolution off of a USB 3 portable SSD like the Samsung T3.  While it does have a yellow line above the timeline in Premiere Pro (no effects applied), when it plays without any lost frames and it almost instantly allows me to move from my laptop to my desktop I could not be happier.  Of course I do have SSD's for the OS/Applications in both cases.

Oh I just cleared both caches and plugged the T3 back into my laptop and played the timeline back with 1 frame lost.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim you are probably right, it's just that the video files are quite large to store in the computer's internal hard drive. How about checking the box to automatically delete media cache files? Because when I encountered the problem I noticed that  Premiere Pro was taking 99% of its CPU and memory

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 22, 2017 Jun 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the video files are quite large to store in the computer's internal hard drive.

The proper solution there is a larger internal hard drive for media.

Editing requires lots of space.  I do recommend accommodating that, rather than trying to avoid it.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines