• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Importing AVCHD footage Still the old way?

Engaged ,
Mar 05, 2018 Mar 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in premiereCS6 in order to import AVCHD footage I had to copy the SD Card PRIVATE folder to my computer then import the entire card structure via the media browser. My camera has folders Private>AVCHD>BDMV then inside the BDMV folder is a bunch of folders and the folder with my .MTS file are the STREAM folder. Back in CS6 if I didn't import the entire card structure folder via the media browser Premiere would import the files weird so that there was a few frames chopped off from the end and beginning since the camera records a new clip after 1GB.

Is this still the case or can I just take whatever .mts files I want from the card and copy them to my hard drive and import from the File>Import window?

If I no longer have to this would greatly save storage space if for example the first 3 .MTS clips were bad shots and the rest of the .MTS clips were the ones I wanted to import.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Mar 09, 2018 Mar 09, 2018

wait, but can't I enter a clip name in the metadata in premiere? I thought I could. Even if I transcoded I would be wasting disk space especially if I put them on my SSD. Perhaps transcoding them and putting those on an HDD and then using the proxies on my SSD will help?

The only advantage for trasncode is the timecode resets to zero on each clip so it's easier to search by time code per clip if I need too and another advantage to it is I can send off a transcoded clip to a customer for review vs

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advocate ,
Mar 05, 2018 Mar 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The preferred workflow today is to stick in your memory card, and then make sure you turn on Ingest Settings (Copy) in the Project Settings. In fact, you can do this directly from the Media Browser panel. You'll see a checkmark box next to the word Ingest. Click it, then click the wrench icon next to it so you can make sure that the type of Ingest setting that is active is Copy. Anything media you import from that moment on gets automatically copied to a directory (the same directory as your project file, but you can change this in the Ingest Settings window (through the wrench icon). That way you can just select the files you want from the memory card and not copy the entire card!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 07, 2018 Mar 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

but if I do it that way I don't see anyway to copy the files to a folder on my external drive then how that folder automatically transfer as a bin in premiere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Mar 08, 2018 Mar 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It all happens automatically. If you turn on "Ingest - Copy," Premiere automatically copies the file structure from the memory card to a folder and drive of your choosing (and will only copy the clip or clips you've selected). You can choose the destination of your choice right in the Ingest Settings window (accessible either by going to "File -> Project Settings -> Ingest Settings" or by clicking the wrench icon in the Media Browser). Hope that clears it up!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a guaranteed method for success.

1. Copy the full card to the hard drive using Windows Explorer or Finder.  Don't use any special software.

2. Do not change anything in side the PRIVATE folder.

3. Use the Media Browser to navigate to that folder and import the desired clips from there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that's what I generally do. I having been playing around with Prelude. I found out if I do transcode files I can rename them which makes organization way easier.

if I have filmed with an 8 bit source do I just transcode to dnxhd 8 bit SQ? i think HQ is 10 bit which I don't think I need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a fan of Cineform for both Transcodes and Proxies.  The YUV 10 bit option at Quality 3 is extremely good and edits super smooth.

Though to be honest, since the Proxy workflow came out, I use that exclusively, pretty much abandoning Transcodes entirely.  I do all my organization inside of PP and leave the originals unaltered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well I'm just thinking that with transcodes I can change the file name unless you think that's what the metadata is for

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct.  I use metadata.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you often use keywords, description and tap name to label clips? I so far haven't found a metadata for an actual clip name

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 09, 2018 Mar 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was just looking over the Search Bins functionality.  Man, it's crap compared to the Smart Bins feature in Resolve.  Same with clip names.  I've never liked how changing those is handled in PP.  This also is much better handled in Resolve.

To be honest, if complex media organization is something you really need to do, look into switching.  Resolve can be had for free, with only a few features missing.  If you need the full Studio version (which I have), it's only $300, one time payment.

If you do switch, buy and read this.

The Definitive Guide to DaVinci Resolve 14: Editing, Color and Audio (Blackmagic Design Learning Ser...

In Premiere Pro, I did my color work using the Cineform proxies.  They're good enough for the task.  Export automatically used the originals.  In Resolve, the same 4K GH4 media handles much better.  I'm finding I just don't need proxies, so I color the originals.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did look into resolve. I do like it but the reason I'm not switching is simply do to some of the plugins I have aren't compatible with resolve and I also am unable to use version 14 as my graphics card doesn't support it. I already talked to their support team and was told this and right now don't have the money to buy another graphics card.

It also seems I can't export to a dvd format with resolve and if I cancelled premiere I don't see how I'd burn a dvd with menus etc. I tried finding another program and couldn't.

I also like the features of the touch screen with premiere and I use my ipad pro with it using duet display which is compatible with premeire.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In that case, Transcodes from Prelude might well be your best option for organization.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wait, but can't I enter a clip name in the metadata in premiere? I thought I could. Even if I transcoded I would be wasting disk space especially if I put them on my SSD. Perhaps transcoding them and putting those on an HDD and then using the proxies on my SSD will help?

The only advantage for trasncode is the timecode resets to zero on each clip so it's easier to search by time code per clip if I need too and another advantage to it is I can send off a transcoded clip to a customer for review vs the whole SD card folder structure which could confuse the customer.

Perhaps if I'm doing a rough cut or someone just wants raw footage of an event without any editing I could just slap together all the native media back to back in a timeline and export as mp4 but if it really needs serious organization then i could use prelude.

The only thing i haven't figured out if syncing custom metadata to premeire from prelude.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 05, 2022 Aug 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

TMPGEnc Author Works 6 to burn DVD/Bluray superb!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oh and also, I keep reading that it's best to export my timeline as Cineform or DNXHD before I color correct. I haven't really done tests but it would seem to be it wouldn't really make a difference unless i was seriously altering coloring or using chroma key. If I'm just adjusting the shadows, exposure etc I don't really think exporting it to cineform etc is gonna really make those sort of changes different. Also I have already added crossfades so all those would be in the new clip and when you color correct it would look weird on an embeded fade in a clip

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines