• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Impossible to get playback on windows workstations without dropped frames

New Here ,
Nov 07, 2018 Nov 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have a really big issue with our PC Workstation (Xeon 2630, 980Ti, 32GB ram, really fast internal 18TB Raid and so on -  the technical details do not seem to be that important, I think).

For years(!) now, we are unable to just playback standard 1080p footage (XAVC, DnxHD, ProRes, XDCAM etc) withouth stuttering and getting the yellow "dropped frames" notifier.
We tried everything. We made cleaninstalls, we upgraded from Win7 to Win10, we installed driverupdates and rolled back, and we updated several releases of Premiere CC. We removed all external hardware, we even integrated a really fast RAID because we thought that was the bottleneck.

NOTHING changed.

A friend of mine with a completely different setup (fast gaming machine) has the exact same problems with Premiere Pro on Windows.

The thing is:

On just a standard iMac, playback is no problem at all. Even while streaming the footage over a slow network connection.

In our tests, any current mac just plays the same projects without issues.

Spec-wise everything should be slower on the mac. Harddrive, Graphics Card, CPU etc.

Second thing:

With Resolve on PC I don't have playback issues as well.

I have no ideas left other than: Premiere Pro seems to be broken on Windows.

But that can't be true, can it?

Can anyone confirm, that fluid playback of 1080p60 oder 1080p50 edits is indeed possible on windows machines?

I'm not just speaking "yeah, seems to playback fine", but really without getting the dropped frame notifications?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 07, 2018 Nov 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would be extremely interested in that experiences from "real" others as well.

I am stuck for month now, at exactly the same status.

Mac's play well (the did not so perfect with 12.1x but defenitely improved since 13.0 ... but have other showstopping issues in exporting movies).

My tests on windowsplattform have included even powerfull machines like HP Z4 with a Nvidia P4000 and..and...  no way to get a clean, stutterfree playout with or without any I/O-box (Aja(Blackmagic).

My last hope is now a proven testmachine HP Z8 with BM-Card from a company with best reputation in this live-broadcast-business...else my decision will be final ....

....Adobe Premiere is currently inappropriate for professional broadcastbusiness (at least live-workflows).

maybe someone can give some proven advice which scenario in real life can be used stutterfree .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 04, 2018 Dec 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can see some of the struggles I have been having which closely mirror both of yours:

Dell 7910 Rackmount Workstation

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2487936

HP Z4

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2564395

I do think my new Z4 will at least meet my needs. I love the new Davinci Resolve, if only it was more intuitive to use. I'm going to give it another try on my Z4. Simple tasks are so counter intuitive in Resolve, but playback is buttery smooth when you have a good video card.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 04, 2018 Dec 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I would expect the DNx and ProRes media to play fine.  The two other formats should be using Cineform proxies for best performance.

Work offline using proxy media |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines