• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Improve performance when editing videos (read please)

Contributor ,
Jan 20, 2020 Jan 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know that Premiere takes up the PC processor much more than the video card (as is the case with Davinci Resolve).
I do not want to go to Davinci Resolve, because there are many details that I have become accustomed to using in premiere.
What I need to know is, how can I do to have a better performance when editing? That is, when I am editing in premiere and I look at the preview of the video, I notice that each mouse is locked when it approaches an effect, transition or slow motion. It is exhausting to have to process the timeline at all times. Is there a way to make the video board participate more? In Davinci Resolve it doesn't matter what effects, transitions or slow motion you put. Although it tripled the amount of Effects on Davinci, it still works absolutely fluid without even prior processing.

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 20, 2020 Jan 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The single two biggest things that helped me: 

1) Only edit off a super fast SSD. No spinning drives. Your harddrive speed is a MASSIVE performance bottleneck when editing. 

2) Use proxies if your system is weak. Tons of tutorials on youtube. 

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 21, 2020 Jan 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

proxies are the way to go in my opinion.  I'm working on a 2009 mac pro...  My boot drive is an ssd, but media is either on internal sata drives or external drives via usb 3 (I added a usb3 card).  I've worked on many complicated multicamera 1080 and 4k projects without issues.  The proxy workflow can be a little tricky, but once you've mastered it, things should improve.  I suggest that you create a proxy of one clip and make sure it's working properly before you make all your proxies.  I generally use prores proxy with the same pixel dimensions as my original media.  I'm working on a mac so can't speak to whether this is the best format on a pc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What kind of source footage are you editing?  And what kind of rig are you running Pr on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A fairly cheap pc.
Intel i3 3770k.
nvidia 1050ti 4gb.
16gb ram
2 ssd drives and 3 hard drives.
I only edit videos that I make with a Sony a6300.
But when I put effects and slowmotion, when I specify what I am looking at, it starts to lock up so that I process every part I want to look at.
What bothers me is that Davinci Resolve is too superior on my pc. I started calculating and I realized that if I want Premiere to work for me as quickly as Davinci resolves, I would have to have at least the last i7 and an nvidia 1080ti.
I put a 9gb (mp4) movie on premiere and accelerate in the timeline. It only supports a speed x4. If I put x8 it locks. In Davinci I put the same movie and reach x32 and it did not lock. I read around and says that Davinci Resolve is specialized in Nvidia video cards. I'm asking if any of you know any tricks to get more involved in the video plate in Premiere. For example to export a video I know an extension called "Cynegi Daniel 2" for Premiere. It makes it possible to export 5 times faster. That is, if a long video takes me 20 minutes to export, with that extension it takes me 4-5 minutes. Now I'm looking for something that accelerates premiere, but in the editing part. Sorry for my english, google translate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jan 22, 2020 Jan 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You have a fairly low-end PC, as you noted.  You're not going to be able to get Premiere to utilize your NVidia card for simple editing and playback of your source material.  Everything you're doing is CPU-based at this point.  So like the others suggested, create proxies.  It should speed things up a bit once they're created and you're editing with them.  But they'll take up more disk space; bear that in mind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines