• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

INCONSISTENCY: in Audio Durations / Frames / Clip POSISTIONING relative to the 30 frames

Engaged ,
Dec 17, 2023 Dec 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me illustrate by an example:

Bed30321077z973_0-1702844976379.png

I have 3 differents informations, none are coherent with each other.

1) First of all, when you hover with your mouse over your clip, you can see the duration of the clip and it's "END" timing.

The end says 00:00:24:15

"15" means 15/30 frames => half a second = 500 ms OR 15 frames.

The clip should END at frame 15.

(This was Information number 1)

2) The second information shows direclty inside the panel, on the track, we can clearly see that the clip end at frame 16. Which should be 16 frames => 16 x 33.33 ms = 533 ms. That translates to this information:

end should say 00:00:24:16!

The 2 informations within Premiere Pro itself are contradictory.

3) The third information is my own caulcations relative to the audio duraiton, my calculations says it SHOULD end after 570 ms => 570/33.33 = 17 frames.

That could translate to this information:

end should say 00:00:24:17!

So what do we got here?

• Premiere Pro SAYING the clip should end at frame 15.
  • Premiere PRO Ending the clip at frame 16.
  • And my calculations predicting frame 17.

This is really bothering.

What can we do here? There is a problem am I wrong? Is there a solution to this?

TOPICS
Crash , Error or problem , Import , SDK , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Dec 18, 2023 Dec 18, 2023

Solution = All API Time calculations are performed in Ticks (254016000000 ticks per second). 

PPro's UI rounds to frames.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged ,
Dec 18, 2023 Dec 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess what would be good and useful would be a code that ley you know EXACLTY (frame) where the INSERTED clip has ended.

For example the first green clip would have its ending value at : sec 24, frame 16.

Can we get that precise info through code?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>Can we get that precise info through code?

Yes; in fact, you get much more precision, than can be displayed in PPro's UI.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solution = All API Time calculations are performed in Ticks (254016000000 ticks per second). 

PPro's UI rounds to frames.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Video clips use frames, not milliseconds.

Looking at your screenshot, the clip ends on frame 15.

Frame 16 is the first frame of whatever comes next.

first last frame.png

he blue crossbar indicates the frame

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Bed etc.,

As Ann Bens has alluded, it's important to remember that each frame has a duration. Thus, to your first 2 points, "ending on frame 15" means more precisely that frame 15 is the last frame; but frame 15 has a duration, so you can identify when frame 15 begins to be displayed or when 15 ends being displayed (and frame 16 begins being displayed). I believe this addresses the confusion in your first two points.

As to your 3rd point, you've rather opaquely stated a figure you arrive at by "my own caulcations relative to the audio duration". I am at a loss to understand what you've calculated or how without more information, so I can't help your understanding there. But I will note that audio is not strictly restricted to frame units (it can have durations in partial frames) and so this may be contributing to your confusion.

Bruce Bullis referred to "ticks", which as far as I can tell are the name given to computer instruction cycles (though it is unclear from his comment whether this is a universal value or a standard chosen by Adobe).

R.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 19, 2023 Dec 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

[Ticks are a standard chosen by Adobe]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines