• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Internal Software error PGC for encore CS3 !!! solved !!!

New Here ,
Sep 08, 2008 Sep 08, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Almost everybody here knows the next error:

PGC "timeline name" has an error at xx:xx:xx:xy internal software error : %0, line timeline name - PGCINFO: name= timeline name, ref=BPGC, time=xx:xx:xx:xy

Where the y in time stands for the length of the timeline minus 2 frames. The BPGC error can also be FPGC or DPGC dependant on how many menu's there are in the project.

It kept me awake for weeks and after reading this forum several times and comparing encore CS3 with encore 2.0 filenames I found the solution.

This Error is a bug in encore witch has nothing to do with blank filename spots and sonic coding or codecs or planning your workflow with a pencil but pure with the combination Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 and Encore CS3.

This is what generates the problem:

In Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 you build project with video, sound and chapters. Then you export the project via the Media Encoder not Multplexed.

Premiere CS3 then creates the following files:
filename.M2V (video file mpg)
filename.AC3 (audio file ac3)
filename.M2V.XMPSES (an adobe file with preview info and chapter pointers)
filname.XMP (??)

It is the .M2V.XMPSES file witch creates the PGC error. If you use the MULTIPLEX DVD option then ADOBE will not create the .M2V.XMPSES file so there will not be an error. This trick mentioned by ADOBE and many others is just to go around the bug instead of solving it. Also with multiplex you have just one sound track. I use two sound tracks like 5.1 and a 2.0 track witch you can choose in a menu.

Some people say it is the blank spots. Also not true. They have probably just erased the blank spots of the M2V file and forgot the .M2V.XMPSES file.

When you just delete the .M2V.XMPSES file and then open the M2V and AC3 file in Encore as a new asset, make a timeline and menu's and the project will built and burn. Only if you delete this .M2V.XMPSES file Encore takes a longer time to import the M2V file and will be without the chapter points.

Almost everything else will work like menu with sound and even a movie background (use M2V files). Only the motion buttons in a menu still wont work unless you use a black background !?!. Haven't figured this out yet. Only solution for this is use Encore 2.0. In this older version also the motion buttons will work without error's (everything else also so why buy CS3??)

Here is what you must do create a DVD without errors:

-Create a project in Premiere Pro, even with chapters.
-Write down all chapter points (minutes:seconds:frames)
-Create two new unique maps in explorer for example D:DVD1 and D:DVD2
-Export in Premiere with Media Encoder without the Multiplex:DVD but with NON to the D:DVD1 map
-Copy from D:DVD1 only the M2V and AC3 files to D:DVD2

-Start up Encore DVD CS3 or 2.0
-Create a new unique project in Encore for example "DVD" and save this in the map D:DVD2\
-Then use Save-as (under file) and pinpoint to D:DVD2\dvd to be sure that all Encore's files are placed in this folder.

-Select M2V file and make new timeline.
-Make chapter points (you wrote down the points, did you?)
-Create menu's, even with sound (AC3) and movie background (M2V)
-Then render project if you have used a video for menu background
-Finally Built and burnnnnnn!!
-If you like to use motion buttons in a menu then use Encore 2.0

I have double checked my work flow and it really works. I have built a project and burned with success Then I deleted the timeline and the M2V file. Copied the .M2V.XMPSES file in the used folder. Re loaded the M2V file in encore (this time much faster! and with chapter points). Tried to built and burn and back was the error. Also this happened in in Encore 2.0!!

Hope that this will solve the PGC error once and for all !!!

Marcel W

system:
acer aspire AMD 64 3800+
2 GB
250 GB hard drive for system
750 GB hard drive for movie

software Adobe Encore 3.0.1.008, Premiere PRO 3.2.0, Photoshop CS3 10.0, All upgraded
NERO 7

No Internet

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 08, 2008 Sep 08, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Marcel,

This solution has only worked in some cases. Certainly not in every case.

As for your other assertions - I'm sorry to say that you are wrong.

Good luck in future projects.

-Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 09, 2008 Sep 09, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff,

Sorry to hear that the solution I have tested multiple times on multiple cases does only work for some cases as you say.

About my other assertions you say I'm wrong. I disagree on that. The multiple sound tracks, you're right. I made a mistake. With multiplex you can indeed use multiple sound tracks and it will work as well. I've tested it. Sorry about that.

On the .m2v.xmpses: sorry I'm right. Deleting it will solve the problem. With multiplex Encore creates a .mpg file instead of a .m2v file (both mpg) and also a .mpg.xmpses file without an error. The error lies in the .m2v.xmpses file.

You can use blank spots in filenames. I've tested it. If you disagree then why does Encore itself create a file with blank spots like: sound 48000.pec and .cfa ??

The motion menu I think I've partly figured it out. I've compared the file list of CS3 and 2.0. The creation of a motion menu in those two encore program has changed. While the 2.0 version creates a .mpg file the SC3 creates a .m2v file.

You can compare the following file structures:
2.0:
Cache\media cache files\mlf.cache.macc\
Video_Fpgc_Lsf.mpegindex
Sources\menus\
Video_Fpgc_Lsf.mpg
Video_Fpgc_Lsf.mpg.xmpses

SC3:
Cache\media cache files\mlf.cache.macc\
menu_mm.mpgindex
Sources\menus\
menu_mm.m2v
menu_mm_temp.xmp
menu_mm_temp.m2v.xmpses
video_cpgc_bsf.mpg

Menu stands for the name of my menu. Video is a name created by Encore.

As you can see the SC3 uses a .m2v file instead of a .mpg file. Besides that it also creates a 1 frame long .mpg called video_cpgc_bsf.mpg in witch the first frame of the menu is shown.

Somehow during the creation or building up a connection the .m2v or .xmpses or .mpg in CS3 is corrupt. Deleting the last two won't change a thing, still an error. The first is your motion menu movie and can't be deleted.

That is why you need to use 2.0 instead of CS3 if you want motion menus.

I won't say that my solution will help for all problems but it will help for those who have a clean non Internet computer and also work in a structure order and still get the unexplained PCG error.

So only copy the M2V and AC3 file or use Multiplex DVD witch indeed works as well

If you still disagree please be more specific on witch points and ground. Maybe we can then find the cure for the motion menu.

Marcel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Marcel,

On your system, and with your workflow, the multiplexing trick works. If you read the very long thread on this error, you will find that for other users that get this error, your solution did not work for them on their system and with their workflow.

I've used elementary streams (.m2v and either .wav or .ac3) almost exclusively for years. I have exported from Premiere with and without chapter points. I have let Encore transcode my files. I have never had this error. So clearly other factors are at work.

Right now I think the error is caused by a combination of hardware configuration and workflow.

Your testing efforts are excellent. You are very thorough and detailed. However, your tests involve doing things to your project folder that I believe contribute to this error in the first place - altering files in the project folder on your own. Because of this, I think your conclusions are incorrect.

-Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff,

At first I like to ask you witch versions of adobe Premiere Pro and Encore do you use?

Secondly:

In Encore you can create a project with different file formats like m2v mpg mov wav ac3 and more. Encore doesn't bother where the files come from. It is just a transcoded file without a history.

I use Premiere Pro to encode my movies because encore only can transcode dolby 2.0 and then import the transcoded files in Encore for further DVD building

Once the files are imported in encore then it does matter if you move them. So after importing those files in Encore I do not move the files at all but leave them as they are.

I then can built a DVD with menu's and even motion menus but not the Animate Buttons.

When I use Encore 2.0 on the same files I can also make Animate Buttons.

Conclusion: Animate buttons do not work in Encore CS3. Why did they change the file setup of motion menus? It worked fine before CS3 came.

I've read all the long threads about these errors and also think that there are more reasons to create the PGC error. I do not state that this is the cure for all of them but it is for the error that you get if you work as clean as it can be. And yes I've read your book on how to use encore 2.0.

Marcel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use the CS3 versions of all the Production Studio apps.

I can animate buttons without error. They work on my system in CS3. They do not work on yours. I wish I knew why, but I don't.

For reference, here are my relevant system specs:

P4 3.0 GHz with hyperthreading enabled
2 GB RAM
ATI Radeon X1600 512 MB
1 internal system drive
1 internal project/data drive
1 internal video capture and storage drive
2 internal DVD burners - NEC and Pioneer
Windows XP Pro SP3 (US English)
Adobe CS3 Production Premium (US English)

Thanks for reading my book. :)

-Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff,

Since you can do all in CS3 and I also except those files witch use .M2V.XMPSES I think the error has to do with my software hardware configuration or even with the menu configuration in relation to the .M2V.XMPSES files

Maybe this is to complex and something for Adobe Bug report

Marcel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can also animate buttons in CS3 with no difficulty, and like Jeff - I have never had this error at all.
All I ever feed Encore are M2V files, AC3 files & DTS files.
I have also imported an M2V file where the markers are carried across from Premiere - with the XMPSES file undeleted.
It has *never* failed for me on this.

Where I can almost guarantee errors is with swapping out assets and not changing file names.
Or with spaces in file names. With spaces, it is a Sonic encoder/compiler engine - and these will often accept file with spaces, yet crash out if compiled with spaces or anything non-alphanumeric.

System Specs
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700CPU
2Gb DDR2 RAM
EN 8500GT Nvidia Graphics (512Mb)
ASUS Commando Mobo
SATA System HDD
SCSI U160 Audio Drive
SCSI U160 Video Drive
EIDE Authoring Drive
XP Pro SP2
Internal Pioneer DVR-109
Quantum DLT2000 Type III XT
Creative Suite Premium CS3
Sonic DVD-Audio Creator
DTS-HD MAS Suite

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neil,

If you have never had this error at all how can you be so sure about the error creating actions by others?

Please make a mistake (like we all do) in moving files or leaving blank spots and try to get an error yourself. Then try to solve the error by solving a mistake one at a time.

Describe this step by step so we can learn something. This will give us all a great advantage in solving our problem.

I have also tried building a simple project from scrap. No moving assets at all alphanumeric file names and still got the error.

You both must be very lucky not having this error.

Marcel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Marcel,

In the several long threads, the errors were not version specific. They happened to users with CS2 & CS3. I do not recall any ver. 1 or 1.5 users, but may have missed them.

On CS2, I have also not had this/these error(s). Actually, I've only had one error in Encore, since I began using it just upon release, and that was a corrupt cache. Cleaned it, re-did Project and never saw another error - ever.

Just for a test yesterday, I built a simpe Project with 5 Video Timelines, 2 animation Timelines, Main Menu (animated with Audio - no animated Buttons), 1 Play All Playlist and 2 sub-Menus (animated with Audio - no animated Buttons). All Assets were DV-AVI, AC3 and PCM/WAV. Menus were my creation in PS. I built this on my laptop, with all Assets, Project and Scratch Disks on a 1.5TB FW-800 external. I wanted to put the laptop and this Project through its "paces," and stress things a bit. The runtime was 01;59;00. Burned to DVD-5 on "automatic."

I replaced 4 Video Assets (the bad way, expecting the worst) and all Assets' names had spaces (just for a test). I kept waiting for some sort of crash, hang or error. Nothing. The danged thing built and burned perfectly. Other than Animated Buttons and a mixture of Video/Audio Assets, I should have hit the wall someplace.

What conclusion can we draw, as I did two things that often cause problems? Little more than that on my laptop with these Assets in this Project, it all worked flawlessly. Unfortuantely, that seems to be the nature of this error. Other than loan my systems out, do the setups, the Exports and Imports, I cannot really help, though I have tried.

Closest that anybody has yet come, was Jeff's experience with Mr Ling's Project. At least he got to see the error. Most of us have not.

I just wish that there was some "magic bullet" for this problem, but instances are as varied, as are the hardware configurations.

Thanks for doing your tests,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Where the y in time stands for the length of the timeline minus 2 frames.

This can actually vary, and so far at least, I don't think we've seen a pattern as to type of pgc error based on how many frames from the end it reports.

> The BPGC error can also be FPGC or DPGC dependant on how many menu's there are in the project.

Number of menus is not relevant; the iteration of the first letter is more related to subsequent occurrences of the error. In my current tests it did not always update; they may have been too similar.

> This is what generates the problem...

Well, the problem does not occur every time you do what you describe, any more than it occurs every time spaces are left in the file names. What you have is, as some other suggestions, a workaround. Thats not bad, and I wonder if you are onto something as to what is contributing to the problem.

So, on to the interesting part whether the xmpses file, or at least what Encore is doing with it, is contributing something. I took an old test project that throws the PGC error and did some experiments.

Background. I am a user who does get the pgc errors regularly, but not always. Creative Suite Production Premium, with PPro CS3 3.2.0 (374) and Encore 3.0.1.008. Pentium 4 2.8GHz 2G RAM, XP SP3, Multiple drives, Nvidia GEforce4 MX440 i.e. an older system. I have lots of stuff loaded and running, including virus protection and firewall, so there are any number of potential conflicts. But I get no crashes, and only one problem other than the pgc. (PPro and Encore monitor windows do this diagonal thing I suspect the display card, but the drivers are up to date. Maxing and then back to fit fixes it.)

If you want to attempt to replicate my studies, here is a link to my problem clip and the first Encore project I describe.

http://www.videoandcomputer.com/test/pgc_test.htm

This project involves a very short AVI export from PPro CS3 - just over 8 seconds - called pgcbad_clip1.avi. Just to answer any question, the source is dv camera capture, and the source and avi export I use are dv avi type 2. There were no effects added on the timeline.

Test 1: Create a project in Encore CS3. Use the sunset menu and delete all the buttons except "play all." Import the avi as a timeline. Set the timeline end action as "return to last menu" and set the button link to the timeline. Auto transcode. (Project settings are 8mbps max and a3c.) Check project shows okay; there is never a problem with that. Build to a DVD folder in a new folder. This project throws the pgc error.

Test 2: Now create a new Encore project in a new folder. Use the same process, except import as timeline the m2v and a3c files from the first run. (I.e. if the clip is pgcbad_clip1.avi, in the test1 project folders, there is a folder called pgcbad_clip1.avi that has 6 files.) Note that in the folder they are imported from is an xmpses file from the first project's encore transcode. The build again fails with the pgc error - same frame, etc, but I really think the frame number doesn't matter.

Test 3: Now create another new Encore project in a new folder. Use same process, but before importing the m2v and a3c as timeline, delete the xmpses file. Drumroll...... Build succeeds!

Go figure.

This is not the repeatable bug option weve been looking for, but based on a clip that always fails, it does demonstrate the odd event of deleting the xmpses file as a workaround. I wonder if that will give adobe something to work with.

Can anyone else get my clip to work/not work in a straight project?

Test 4: Just to answer the question since the avi file fails here, will the elemental option succeed? I exported elemental m2v and wav from PPro, used the same project process, and transcoded the wav. That build also works! I have seen this work both ways. I have had projects where the elemental failed, and an avi export worked. I do believe the elemental options work more consistently. But my project that I completed yesterday used all avi exports, animated buttons in the submenu, - no pgc error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 10, 2008 Sep 10, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill, Jeff,

I won't quit until I find the problem.

You are right that CS2 also has this problem with feeding it (wrong??) M2V files and also the .xmpses file. I've tested it. But CS2 will create a menu with animation buttons because it then makes a mpeg file and a mpeg.xmpses file instead off a m2v.mpses file.

Your test is not exactly the way I've tested it. I use PP to transcode. I still believe that the combination PP and Encore and some sort of name problem is the bug. I've also built a working project and then renamed the filename in Explorer and put in a blank spot and it still worked fine. It is as I assume the content of the xmpses file rather than the filename itself.

Yesterday I have imported a m2v file named "Blooper51" including the xmpses in encore. The file was made in Premiere Pro with a sequence name "blooper 51" Tried to built it with two menus, one with chapter selection buttons but no animation buttons jet and of coarse got an error.

Tried again without the xmpses file and it built fine.

Tried to built with animation buttons and it failed.

Then renamed the file (in explorer) as "blooper" without the number. Imported it without the .xmpses file. Tried to built and it worked even with animation button ON.

I will keep on testing but for now it seems that the sequence name in PP must be without blank spots and without numbers. The filename of the movie to built an animation button menu with must also be without blank spots and numbers.

I think, and this is just a guess, that the sequence name and or chapter name is built in the xmpses file during transcoding in PP (Jeff I saw you have a degree in computer programing please help me on this point). Then encore doesn't like these names with blank spots and numbers.
When you make an animation button menu Encore CS3 transcodes a menu in a M2V file and creates and uses also a m2v.xmpses file and a mm_mpegindex. In these files I guess the original movie filename is used to create some sort of chapter name (a movie always has a first starting chapter). During the building and the order of the movies and audio encore can't read this wrong file name or chapter marker.

Bill and Jeff: what names do you both use for:

original AVI and WAV to begin with in PP
sequence and chapter names in PP
Encoded file names in PP
Filename in Encore
Menu names in encore
and last: file folder names (E:dvd\......)

do you use blank spots somewhere?
do you use numbers somewhere?

Thanks for your interest in solving this.

Marcel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Marcel & Stanley,

Thank you both for sharing your testing. Good work.

Stanley,

I will download your test files, but can only test in CS2. I'll report back with my experiences in that version.

It is my understanding that the .xmpses file is used to mux the two elemental streams. Maybe Joe, Jeff or Neil can either verify this, or tell me I am wrong. When I do Export a muxed file, and the process is aborted, before I end up with my DV-AVI, I will have the four files: [Filename].m2v, [Filename].wav, [Filename].xmpses and the "locator" database file[Filename].xml. If I complete the Export, I only have two: [Filename].avi (now muxed) and [Filename].xml. The elemental streams and the .xmpses files are deleted automatically. Maybe I am wrong in this, but those have been my observations in less than control situation.

For whatever it may be worth, I'll have a go with CS2. Thanks for providing the info and files.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The xmpses contains chapter information for MPEG-2 exports from Premiere, and also contains project information for Edit Original.

It's not required, otherwise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just fyi, my single file had no sequence markers, so would be a single chapter in encore (the default chapter 1). I think I did not use the option for including project info. I have some questions about that that I will post separately sometime.

I mention that because the presence of the xmpses file is making some kind of difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stanley,

Unfortunately, I could only test this on EncoreDVD2, not CS3. I went through your first two tests, and each time Encore built to a folder (played fine on Cyberlink PowerDVD) with not a problem.

For Test 1, I created a new Project. Imported the AVI, as a Timeline. Imported Sunset and did Edit in Photoshop, to remove unused Buttons. Saved back to Encore. Linked Menu as Play First and its Play All Button to the Timeline. Set End Action on Timeline to Return to Last Menu. I tried this both from the drop-down and with the Pickwhip, just to make sure. EncoreDVD2 built to a folder perfectly, regardless of which End Action setting method I used.

For Test 2, I created a new Project in a new folder. Imported the m2v as a Timeline and the AC3 as an Asset, then added the AC3 to the Timeline. I then Imported Sunset and did the same Photoshop editing. Back in Encore, I linked the Menu as First Play and its one Button to the Timeline. I set the End Action of the Timeline, both with the drop-down and the Pickwhip once more. Again, EncoreDVD2 burned the Project to folder perfectly with both End Action methods.

Rather than trying your Test 3, since both 1 & 2 worked perfectly, I recreated the necessary structure to run your Clip1avi.ncor. As I didnt have your modified Sunset Menu in that structure, I got a placeholder Menu, but replaced it with the one from the Library. I did the same PS work, and Saved. I had to point Encore to the Clip1avi.avi, as my structure was obviously different, than yours. No problem, Encore accepted it. I linked everything as per tests 1 & 2. However, on Check Project, I got the Menu Remote Not Set error. Heres where it got odd. When I clicked on the Menu Remote setting in the Properties Panel, I got the dreaded Sorry, an abnormal condition has been detected. Before quitting, you have one chance to save your project (dont use the same name as the original). I did a few Save_As, and tried the Pickwhip for the Menu Remote - same error. I closed, and opened on of my Save_As Projects. Same error. I tried all variations of Saved Projects, but all yielded the same error. I went ahead and did a Burn to Folder, ignoring this error message. Though the Menu Remote was not set, the Project Burned perfectly.

I do not know if this additional little problem came from MY building the folder structure for your .ncor file, or if there is something amiss in your .ncor file. I would suspect that it is something in the way that I set up folders. Maybe I missed something necessary for Encore. I will assume responsibility for this one. Out of curiosity, did you get that error in your tests?

Im sorry that I did not get the PGC error in any of these. I also listed things in the exact order that I did them, in case that has any bearing on the problem.

Ill keep these files around on the workstation, just in case you need for me to try something else.

Computer:
3.5GHz Duo-core Intel
4 GB Corsair Pro (4x1GB) RAM (3GB switch)
4x 1TB SATA II HDDs
1x 1TB ATA-100 HDD
nVidia Quadro FX4500-512
Creative SB 5.1 SS
XP-Pro SP3 (latest patches)
Adobe CS2 (remember, Im on CS2) Production Studio

Good luck, and let me know if you want me to try anything else,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Joe,

Thank you for that clarification. I see that I was wrong with my assumption. Glad you got that correction out there.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hunt, thanks for trying this out. So my "file that creates a pgc error for me every time" [in CS3] does not create a problem for you in CS2. I'm still curious about CS3 - anyone?

I think you followed my process in Encore right, except that I did not edit in PS, I just deleted the buttons in encore. but I have gotten the error in either condition in other projects.

I wonder if your odd results in my ncor project is the CS3 vs CS2. I don't get any of the errors you describe, but, as you note, I provided only the project file, and not the supporting directories. so it was not likely to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 11, 2008 Sep 11, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still looking for the difference in the m2v.xmpses and the mpg.xmpses files. I figured out that you can both open the xmpses and xmp files in "windows Wordpad"

In the first lines of the xmpses file the toolkits and framwork creation dates are mentioned. After that the program used (encore, premiere cs3 etc.) Then for some strange reason there are mentioned a few webpages. For example:

xmlns:vindaloo='http://ns.adobe.com/1.0/vindaloo/'>

why???

Then there is some information on the bit rate, frame rate, field order, picture dimensions and more. Finally the picture data, duration, size, and headerdata are shown in a very very long list.

In the m2v.xmpses the file ends with a stream size and stream duration

The mpg.xmpses file shows before these data the audio data, while its about a muxed file and a m2v is not muxed so no audio data in the m2v.xmpses file.

The mpg.xmpses end at the video part (somewhere 3/4 of the file) also with a streamsize and duration.

Here is where I can see a small difference for a tipical file with an error:

m2v
streamduration 211838400
streamsize 2353756996

mpg (muxed file)
streamduration 211838400
streamsize 2353756992

If I look in the encore 2.0 version at the created animated menus, also a mpg.xmpses file but without audio, I see a streamsize witch ends with the numbers 6996.

I don't know if it is something but it is strange.

After that I looked at an Encore cs3 file with motion menus (movie background) and animate buttons.

All the MM_menus end with streamsize 6996 while all the menus with animate buttons end differently: 3214, 2626, 7329 etc.

Even more strange.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

xmlns represents the namespace for an XML document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Stanley,

Dang, I had forgotten that your NCOR was CS3, even though I had typed that a half-dozen times in my reply, while I was testing. Yes, probably a good reason for CS2 to throw an error, or two. Just overlooked that possibility. Interesting that 99% of it worked fine and it Burned to folder perfectly from EncoreDVD2. There is more backward compatibility than I would have expected. I'll also re-check my directory recreation to make sure I didn't commit and error there.

Sorry that I did the Menu edit in PS. That is just my habit. I'll go back and see if deleting the Buttons in Encore makes any difference.

Wish I could help you test on CS3.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeh, maybe Jeff will get tired of playing with Dan and Jim and try my file.... lol.

Jeff, if you try this one, I really don't think the menu/buttons make a difference. I think it is something about that avi file or, more likely, that file on my system.

As soon as i wrote that, I realized that, duh, I have a laptop with cs3 on it! Ran my tests. As with the test using my pc, Tests 1 and 2 fail. Test 3 works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stanley,

I participated in a similar test before, using someone else's project and assets on my system.

Loading and building the project that was sent to me resulted in the error (the first time I had ever seen the actual error!). But after rebuilding the project with the same assets, project elements and workflow, and then after that doing some naughty things with the assets that I wouldn't normally do, I could not reproduce the error. Zip. Nada.

I suspect that it would be the same with your project and assets.

-Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff, thanks for your response.

I remember that test well. It was significant in that it resulted in the pgc error occurring on a system (yours) that did not normally have such an error. Also, simply redoing the project resulted in a good burn. It was part of what helped me to conclude that these errors were not a simple bug or a workflow problem that could be reliably produced.

The hypothesis here is that the avi file I posted itself results in a pgc error using a very simple project and automatic transcoding in encore. There is little opportunity for encore workflow problems. And, while there certainly can be problems at the PPro level, a dv avi type 2 file exported by ppro should not have such a problem.

Hunt confirms that it did not have a problem on CS2. CS3 on my laptop showed a problem. I've forgotten: does the pgc error occur for anyone with CS2?

I am most interested in someone else using cs3 simply making any project with the avi file I posted. (In hindsight, I should not have even posted the project file - without the folders it is not meaningful.) The multiple project tests I described extend the notion into understanding what is going on with the deletion of the xmpses file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 12, 2008 Sep 12, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stanley,

I am going totally from memory here (just too lazy to re-read those two very long threads, I guess... ), but *believe* that some experienced it with CS2. If I get an extra second, I'll go poke around them. One started so very early, that it almost HAS to be a CS2 error. Also, most people reporting the error(s) were loathe to give any details, even after repeated urgings. Just a lot "me too's."

As for the folders, I think that one could easily build these. I may have committed an error, but could not find it on second look. I think my problem with your NCOR file was CS2 v CS3, as you pointed out. Still, I got the build, but just could not set the Title Remote, without another error. Project still built successfully, which, in light of the version differences and the direction that I was applying them, was my biggest surprise. Until my test, I'd have told anyone that a CS3 Project could NOT be opened and worked on in CS2. Look how wrong one can be. Damned near worked 100% and there might even be some workaround for the Title Remote error.

Good luck, and let me know if I can do anything else on this one.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines