Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

iPhone 12 HDR Video Support in PremierPro?

Community Beginner ,
Dec 28, 2020 Dec 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

When I import videos from my iPhone 12 Pro to PremierPro, they look washed out, or overexposed.  As I understand things, this is becuase Dolby HDR is not supported.

Is there a work around I can use to get the color back in my videos?

Also, any idears when Aobe will eventually provide support for Dolby HDR?

TOPICS
Formats, Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the 12 pro max. HDR Video looks fine. Not washed out at all in 14.7.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, just saw your suggestion.  Unfortunatley, I had already tried this and it doesn't appear to be working for me.

I'm not a professional video editor.  I'm just a guy out hiking who wants to share the experience via Vimeo.  So, I was really hoping to export to the H.264 Vimeo settings, but retain the beautiful color I see on the iPhone.

The MXF format one gets following the export options in the article does not appear to be supported on my PC.  

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On your iPhone under Settings->Camera->Record Video are you able to verify HDR Video option is selected, or On?

I also have 14.7 and all vidoes recorded NOT just ON 4K, but ALSO w/ HDR selected all appear washed out, not only in Premeir, but also Windows Media Player, etc.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just figured out one kind of workaround, although rathery hokey.

I load the video on my iPhone into iMovie.  From there, I make no edits but when I'm saving the new movie I can unselect the HDR option.  Then, transfer the new video from iPhone to my PC and load into Premier. 

Voila, beautiful color is back!

But, I have over 30 videos I would have to do this to.  There's got to be a better way .....   😞

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 28, 2021 Feb 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you resolved the problem? I have a iPhone 12 Pro Max, with the same problems

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 31, 2021 Oct 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not a perfect get around by any stretch, however, I popped a black colour matt under my footage and then reduced the original footage opacity - I think EthanT9999 has a decent suggestion, although I'd taken  my footage off the phone and couldn't find a way to get it back on lol

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 09, 2021 Nov 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just downloaded a bunch of video from an iPhone 12 Pro Max, and then spent all day trying to figure out why the video was so overexposed as to be unusable when imported to Premiere.  I tried every Codec in the system, and setting the working color space to Rec.2100 HLG as suggested in another thread.  It didn't work.  Can anybody tell me how to uninstall Premiere v22 and go back to something that works?

There is nothing more frustrating than "upgrading' to a new version, and finding that things you've always done don't work.  Things like importing video and expecting it to look like it does in its native format, for example.  What a disaster.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2021 Nov 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EXACTLY!  I am a professional Music & Video Producer and PROFESSOR who has been using Premiere since the early 1990's. I am under a deadline for a big project for a Sli Training movie,  and because of the quality and size of the camera, it was used EXTENSIVLY in the slopes. Now I have this BOGUS DISASTER. ADOBE should REFUND our monthly payments until it is resolve! Shame on ADOBE!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2021 Nov 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

DavidAMusial:

My files from the iPhone were 60fps 4K, with the HDR switch turned on (unfortunately, this might be the source of the entire problem).

It took the better part of a day in trial-and-error to come up with this; here is a workaround that might work for you:  
Set the sequence to: Editing Mode DNX 1080P

Display format 60fps Timecode

Working Color Space:  Rec 709

Preview file format: DNX 1080p60Codec:  DNxE

(check) Composite in Linear Color.

Then, I created a preset with corrections to brightness, contrast, and color, to apply to every imported clip to the timeline:  These were arrived at by matching a scene in the timeline (not the source window, because that won't reflect the preset corrections) to an original clip shown on the same screen in Quicktime.  The corrections were substantial, e.g. brightness -40, contrast - 10, colors +110.  Your mileage may vary.

Then I rendered the sequence with the following settings as a final check so I could open the original and the rendered product in Quicktime to compare:

Format: Quicktime

Preset: Adobe Stock 4KDCI

Video Code: Apple Prores 422HQ

HDR Graphic: 300

Export Color Space: Rec 709.

Now, of course you may be exporting to some completely different format, but I *think* the important things here are the HDR Graphic setting of 300, and the Export Color Space.

I am anything but a pro, but I've been using Premiere for over a dozen years.  I can't explain why the above worked for me, or whether it will work for anyone else, but it's perhaps a framework to come up with your own workaround.

BTW, I had 4K video to start, but will end up with an HD end product, so I used Media Encoder to downsize all the video clips.  I found that doing that meant I had to redo the color corrections, as those I laboriously came up with when I was testing with the 4K clips no longer were applicable.  Again, I have no idea why.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines