Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is upgrading to 2018 even necessary?

Oct 22, 2017 Oct 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the problems in Premiere Pro 2017 version 11 not addressed, is this version 12 important? Working in multiple projects is a weird idea as you can

already do that with the sequences. Most machines can not even handle big loads and we are talking about multiple project at the same time.

Recipe for crashing. Please Adobe give us a real upgrade to the program itself not attachments.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd imagine that any issues in 2017 were probably addressed with 2018

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every time there is an upgrade there are some problems.  I wait a long time before I upgrade. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I upgrade and have not had any issues yet. Still dont like the new titler.

My Canon 4k files edit very smooth on my old i7 940.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some issues of 2017 are fixed, and for some users there will be new issues in 2018. Tis Life.

1) The default setting for upgrading is unfortunate as it removes prior "full" versions ... always choose the "advanced "button and select leaving prior versions in place.

2) It is normally best if possible to complete projects in the version you started them in. Not always possible,  but best if you can.

There are a few very good upgrades in the EGP and a few other areas, but most editors could work well in 2017 if it works well for them.

Test your own stuff. Always test before running major work.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I reluctantly installed the 2018, crashed once, upgraded my graphic card drivers and everything is cool. I expected them to merge

the legacy titler or add some bevels and more but the same old things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can always install 2018 and give it a spin with a new project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Honestly I wouldn't do it, there are so many little things they changed that are driving me crazy. The multiple project thing alone is reason enough not to. It's a cool idea but so, so, so poorly implemented, it turns the workspace into a mess and causes so much confusion. Like it will tell you that you have one project open three times, even though you don't or it will open the same bin multiple times and it's just a mess right now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pr 2018 is not ready for prime time, especially considering that it isn’t backwards compatible with projects made in Pr 2017 (which is completely unacceptable). This is the first Pr CC "update" I’ve installed. As a relatively new CC customer, I expected updates to be fully functional and exhaustively tested before release. Stupid me. Beware.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2018 is not an update but an upgrade. That is why the project is not backwards compatible.

On a side note Premiere has never been backwards compatible.

Update or upgrade are fully functional.

Instead of telling everyone to be aware why not tell what is not working.

General advice is not to upgrade during an important etc project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I definitely agree.  Respectfully, updates/upgrades should not have to be this frustrating and definitely unacceptable that it isn't backwards compatible. Mine freezes upon loading a current project.  I've tried three times already, and from what I'm reading, people are having various problems and going back to the old version.  It's frustrating because we shouldn't have to do this. Yes, I agree 100%: beware.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The PS4 isn't backwards compatible with the PS3... why would PP 2018 be backwards compatible with PP 2017?

Every update/upgrade in the history of updates has always had minor kinks in the first week of release, have you never updated something and new bugs appear?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because it has been compatible in the past, although buggy here and there.  In fact I did manage to open the old file on the new software (my blank screensaver seemed to be the issue as the project took longer to load but faster to render).

Yes new bugs seem to be the norm now which shouldn't be, but as I've been reading this update/upgrade seems excessive and varied (it's unnecessary stress when your job depends on it "This isn't working." "Keeps freezing..." "What's happening to this other person?" "Is that going to happen to me too?" etc.).

All in all I'm just agreeing with art101design on being aware and expressing concern.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jasonl42849718  wrote

. . . it's unnecessary stress when your job depends on it

Yes, which is why you should never update or upgrade mid project unless you have time to verify the suitability of the new software for your use.

I make a clone of my system drive  just prior to the upgrade - if I do the upgrade and am not happy I can swap in the cloned drive in for the upgraded one and be right back to work.

Overall, my experience with the 2018 upgrade has been positive - it is running well on my system.

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It really doesn’t matter what Adobe decides to call it — “upgrade” or “update” - whatever. All I know for sure is that Pr 2018 threw me under the bus. The latest crazy problem (among many) is that text is pixelated/jagged when I export a sequence. I even installed a font the Typekit nightmare suggested (Adobe Simple).

I’m sick to death of being an unpaid R&D consultant for Adobe. I gave Adobe $500 for a one-year CC contract. A one-hour phone call with “tech support” was useless (case number available upon request). In fact, it made things worse.

I sent an invoice to Shantanu Narayen, CEO, Adobe Systems, Inc., for unpaid work. I’m sure he’ll cut me a check very soon (not). Adobe routinely releases junk that isn’t ready for prime time and expects users to pick up the pieces. Hours of my life melted away; I’ll never get them back. My blood pressure went through the roof trying to fix a mess that never should have happened. Grrrrrrrrr.

pixelated-text.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 23, 2017 Oct 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It really doesn’t matter what Adobe decides to call it — “upgrade” or “update”

In software terms, there is a difference.  An update is the same version.  An upgrade is a new version.

New versions do often have repercussions on work flow and compatibility.  It's always best to test out new versions before deploying them on a production machine.  Adobe's very generous two activations makes that easy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 23, 2017 Oct 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Jim's comments are spot on. There is absolutely no way any company can know exactly how their complex software will work on the gazillion possible combinations of computers, OS, mobo's, drivers, add-ins/ons, other installed hardware and their drivers, all that sort of thing.

There was an issue in the 2017 cycle where one of the dll files for Microsoft's word processing apps would screw up one of the tools of PrPro. People hit that issue, went ballistic, and were yelling at "Adobe!" ... and a user doing a great job of sleuthing removed files one by one from his rig, found when he removed that specific dll suddenly PrPro worked. A number of other users tested and found that yes ... ​all​ the machines having this issue had that MS dll on, and when moving it even out of the OS folder it was in, their PrPro's worked perfectly.

But I had the same file on my machine, without trouble. Why only on some machines? We never could figure it out.

That's how bizarre some interactions can be.

Which is why a real professional should NEVER upgrade to a new version without testing first. We all have to get work out, right? It's a safety first sort of thing.

Never ​rely​ on autosave, which canNOT save you from most things ... never rely on an OS or other software update to simply work perfectly ... and never rely on that Mac truck stopping if you start crossing the road.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's nothing in 2018 that improves my work flow.  But it does seem to be working just fine.

One thing I can say is that you should never install a new version without testing it first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines