• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Landscape vs Portrait in Premiere Pro CC V12.1

Engaged ,
Jan 24, 2019 Jan 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have two videos taken with my cellphone moments apart of the same subject -  the Nantucket Lightship from the window of Boston's ICA in the rain.  The camera was held in the same "landscape" orientation and the file properties in Windows Explorer shows Frame Width 1920, Frame Height 1080 on both.   In the thumbnail in Windows it shows them both the same, with a horizontal horizon,  They both play correctly in both the Applian and Windows media players.

BUT -  when I import them into Premiere Pro one of them comes out in "landscape" mode and the other one comes out sideways, in "portrait" mode.   And the thumbnail in the Premiere Pro media browser also shows one in portrait and the other in landscape, even the the thumbnail in Windows explorer shows them both correctly in landscape.

What is Premiere Pro keying on to think one of these is in "portrait" mode and how do I fix it?

Thanks in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know it's a hassle, but when this has happened to me, I just use the built-in effect controls and rotate the video 90 (or 270) degrees.

It seems to be some wacky built-in accelerometer thing -- as if your phone "thought" it was rotated differently than it was.

I know it's frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see how it can be on the phone side because it only happens in Premiere Pro; as I explained, it's fine in my two stand-alone MP4 media players and in Windows explorer's thumbnail, and both files have the same Width 1920 and Height 1080 properties.

What property or parameter in an MP4 file encodes "up and down" information?

PS - I just opened it up in Windows Movie Maker and that program also had no problem with it.    So really this is something unique to Premiere Pro.   What does Premiere Pro key off of to figure out "vertical" from "horizontal"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2020 Jan 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree @bucksommerkamp, however when I've tried that the Program frame is still displaying at 1920x1080 (an obvious 'cell phone' frame rather than 1080x1920) and cutting off most of the width instead of displaying it at the proper format of 1080x1920. I've tried researching everything under 'changing frame size' on the Program panel or Project (so it opens in 1080x1920 instead) and it doesn't appear to be a topic in help. What am I obviously missing or ignorant about to make the Program frame (or output file) the correct dimension after rotating it 90°? Thanks in advance!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2020 Oct 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. The video is from a drone. The video plays correctly in landscape mode with various apps but imports into Premiere-Pro in portrait mode. We need a remedy to this problem. Rotating does not work properly as the video is clipped.

Please help. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2020 Oct 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Here is a temporary solution. Use VLC to convert the file to MP4. Even if the original file is MP4 just use VLC to convert it. The converted file will than import properly to Premere-Pro. It is a nuisance but at least it is a work around until Adobe fixes the problem in Premere-Pro. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines