• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lens Correction Profiles in Premiere?

Explorer ,
Sep 11, 2018 Sep 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've done a fair bit of searching but cannot find a way to add additional lens correction presets to Premiere. There are built-in presets for GoPro and DJI drone footage, but no other cameras. Adobe has a long list of lens profiles that work in Photoshop, Camera RAW, and Lightroom. How can I get these in Premiere?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi johansebamuel,

Lens correction presets in Premiere Pro is currently limited to only few of the wide angle action cams. This is usually because of the fact that these ultra-wide angle lenses have extreme distortions which are much more perceivable than the non-wide angle distortions.

Unlike Photoshop/Lightroom where you have a Lens correction profiles available for almost all the know lenses that you can apply to the images. Here in Premiere Pro, you won't have all those lens correction profiles.

Though if you want you may use the Lens Distortion effect in Premiere Pro to correct or compensate for some minor barrel distortions and pincushion distortions and then you may save a preset for your individual lenses that may work similar to a lens profile.

Please note that the camera raw lens correction profiles are much more accurate and the lens distortion effect might not be able to get to the same level of distortion correction but should be able to correct the minor ones.

If you wish to perform advanced lens corrections for the videos then you may want to use the Optics Compensation effect in After effects which can provide a greater degree of control to the distortion parameters

Hope you find it useful.

Regards

Sumeet Kumar Choubey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At what lenses are we looking?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Ann+Bens  wrote

At what lenses are we looking?

Sony GM lenses as well as Rokinon Cine DS lenses, especially wide angle 14mm etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it would be better to use a lens that doesn't need post correction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim_Simon  wrote

I think it would be better to use a lens that doesn't need post correction.

Sure yea that would be nice. It would be really great if Premiere just did award winning editing for me as well, but I'm working with things that actually exist. Every lens has some distortion. For reference, here is a list of supported lenses with correction profiles in Lightroom. Each one of these lenses needs some kind of correction, so you're suggesting that none of these are acceptable lenses to use if you plan to work in Premiere?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you working with stills or video?

If video, what codec are you capturing the video in?

With what camera?

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Meg+The+Dog  wrote

Are you working with stills or video?

If video, what codec are you capturing the video in?

With what camera?

MtD

Video. I am usually capturing in XAVC-S with a Sony A7s ii or XAVC-L with a Sony FS5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe that camera will set the correction the Sony lenses will call for (and the camera has data for) and record the corrected image in the video signal, much like the way it applies the correction to a JPEG still and does not to a RAW still.

I just did a test with a 10-15mm sony WA lens and the video (when recorded in XAVC) is definitely lens corrected versus a RAW still image of the same scene with no lens correction applied.

Not much help for the non-Sony lens.

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I came into video post from a long (still ongoing) career in stills. Yea, many hours in Lr, and of course setting it so that my lenses all had the 'proper' corrections applied automatically.

But ... so much of the video/film workflow is just bonkers from a stills outlook. One of the main things is of course ... lens selection.

I've been amazed over the last several years at the discussions about using this or that lens or series of lenses because of the specific look of that/those lenses. Which if you think about it, is ... most often because of the distortions and aberrations of the specific lenses. Occasionally of course  the issue is the bokeh as created by the aperture blades and/or being anamorphic. But not that often.

So ... the kind of thing you and I coming from stills think should be corrected is what most video people use to select the lenses for a project. For us, it's always been a bug.

For most video DP's, that's a feature. A major feature. You mention the Rokinon Cine DS lenses. Yea, they have a "look". One that many DP's go for, and if you corrected that out ... they'd be ticked. I know of projects that have been shot in total or in part on old Minolta Rokkor lenses adapted to fit on the video cam. Why? Because ... they had such cool distortions and aberrations! A couple of my old inexpensive Rokkor-X lenses from the early 70's are 'desirable' in video shooting. Huh ... I gotta tell you, I was thrilled to move up to my spendy Nikon glass for stills work!

So other than correcting for heavy distortions of wide-angle lenses, putting in corrections for 'normal' lenses hasn't been a need for most video people. In fact, the majority might be horrified at the idea!

You'd be welcome of course to go over to the UserVoice system and request this ...

Adobe UserVoice Bug /Feature form: https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro

... but understand, the very idea will creep out a decent number of DP's/Directors and such ...

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/R+Neil+Haugen  wrote

I came into video post from a long (still ongoing) career in stills. Yea, many hours in Lr, and of course setting it so that my lenses all had the 'proper' corrections applied automatically.

But ... so much of the video/film workflow is just bonkers from a stills outlook. One of the main things is of course ... lens selection.

I've been amazed over the last several years at the discussions about using this or that lens or series of lenses because of the specific look of that/those lenses. Which if you think about it, is ... most often because of the distortions and aberrations of the specific lenses. Occasionally of course  the issue is the bokeh as created by the aperture blades and/or being anamorphic. But not that often.

So ... the kind of thing you and I coming from stills think should be corrected is what most video people use to select the lenses for a project. For us, it's always been a bug.

For most video DP's, that's a feature. A major feature. You mention the Rokinon Cine DS lenses. Yea, they have a "look". One that many DP's go for, and if you corrected that out ... they'd be ticked. I know of projects that have been shot in total or in part on old Minolta Rokkor lenses adapted to fit on the video cam. Why? Because ... they had such cool distortions and aberrations! A couple of my old inexpensive Rokkor-X lenses from the early 70's are 'desirable' in video shooting. Huh ... I gotta tell you, I was thrilled to move up to my spendy Nikon glass for stills work!

So other than correcting for heavy distortions of wide-angle lenses, putting in corrections for 'normal' lenses hasn't been a need for most video people. In fact, the majority might be horrified at the idea!

You'd be welcome of course to go over to the UserVoice system and request this ...

Adobe UserVoice Bug /Feature form: https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro

... but understand, the very idea will creep out a decent number of DP's/Directors and such ...

Neil

I have a 14mm lens with a slight fisheye. I want my walls to be straight lines instead of slightly bowed. It doesn't seem like a crazy thing to want. I'm not trying to make a Rokinon look like a Panavision Primo - I just like straight lines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yea, the way-wides definitely need the perspective correction.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 12, 2018 Sep 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you upload a short clip with bowed walls to test.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 15, 2018 Sep 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Each one of these lenses needs some kind of correction

I don't think you can assume a correlation between photo work and video in this case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 05, 2023 Oct 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Imagine thinking this is a necessary comment to make.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 05, 2023 Oct 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As there's a lot of comments here, I've no idea which comment you're commenting about ... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 04, 2018 Dec 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You definitely can do this. It's a bit of work, but it's doable.

I also have the Rokinon 14mm and have found Camera Raw's lens profile correction to be very effective. The way to apply this to video is to render out your footage as an image sequence and then process each frame in Camera Raw using a script. You'd then import the processed image sequence into Premiere and edit from that.

Because it's a time-consuming process, and because you'd be baking in any effects you may have applied to your footage, I'd recommending doing this as a final step in your edit workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines