• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LINEAR (not curve) velocity change (for position)

Explorer ,
Mar 29, 2018 Mar 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to have a smooth, linear deceleration across a number of graphics (in this case, horizontal scrolling titles that are too long to have in a single instance).

I recon the best way to do this would be to have each decelerate at a constant rate, with the next clip starting at the instantaneous velocity value of the end of the prior clip.

The velocity controls in the effects panel seem quite good at "natural" changes in velocity (using bezier curves), but how about this far simpler effect that I need? Any ideas would be helpful.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Set keyframes to Linear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Been trying that.  No change, except that the curves of the slopes are less extreme.  Seems to me that if it's linear, there should be no curve in the slope. Thanks though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would help to see a screen shot of your Effect Controls panel and Timeline panel — or at least the title in question. I'm not sure what you mean by "linear deceleration across a number of graphics."

Why not just place your very long title in one graphic and then animate it across the clip(s)? Below I have a very long title graphic that extends far beyond the width of the clip. I zoomed out to 10% in the Program Monitor.

screenshot_1701.png

The graphic extends across multiple clips in the sequence.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your screenshot shows precisely what I am trying to do.  The problem however is that my title is far longer than that, and exceeds size that PPro can handle. This is why I'm exploring breaking it into sections.   I'm trying to create a smooth deceleration overall, which would need the velocity at the beginning of a clip to match the velocity at the end of the prior clip.  I can eyeball it for sure, but seems like there should be a way to do it precisely.

I suspect that these controls have something to with it, although changing their values seems to have zero effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How long is your title? And how are you determining "long"?

This is not making sense to me somehow.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

exceeds size that PPro can handle.

You've got em curious.  What's the limit?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had found a limit (in pixels) for images (don't remember what that was though, and doing the text as images looked horrid anyway)

Currently, I am using the text/title tool, and don't seem to be able to extend the length of the text/title box more than 60 characters. KEEP IN MIND THOUGH, that at this size of text (400 pt scaled up 300%) it is huge indeed. (Fills a 1920x1080 screen top to bottom roughly.)

The overall text that I am using is ~300 characters.  I've tried every way I can think of to extend the text box, but 'computer says 'no''.  So, I'm trying to break it into sections.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The size of the "canvas" does seem to be limited, so a super long title graphic may hit that limit and cause problems. Your best course of action may be to divide your 300-character title into segments of equal length that you then stack in the timeline and apply equal keyframing to so the end result is a single smooth motion of the whole title.

screenshot_1710.png

See the resulting output:

Dropbox - forum_very-long-title.mp4

I have to say, though, that horizontally scrolling text never looks good in any movie I've seen, even professional productions. Horizontal motion of large text is often too jittery to read easily, as opposed to vertically scrolling text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.  That's where I have been heading, and my original question had to do with getting a smooth deceleration across the multiple clips.  (And it's not for a film...it's for a trailer....different set of non-rules!)

I was hoping that there was some simple function I was missing, but it seems I'll have to figure out a way to concoct a solution. Thanks for you efforts!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just to clarify some terms:

Linear is constant velocity (so, no deceleration).

Bezier is either acceleration or deceleration.

If you import the sample movie that you posted, you can plot Time Remapping keyframes and introduce a ramp up or ramp down.

Or... After Effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines