Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to do this??

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Oct 10, 2019 Oct 10, 2019

Not sure exactly what you mean.  If you want sequence markers to move when you add or delete something earlier in the timeline, that's pretty simple  It's in the ...  wait for it...  markers menu:  ripple sequence markers.  If you don't want the markers to move when you add or delete something earlier, turn it off...

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Oct 10, 2019 Oct 10, 2019

Bit of forum advice ... this new forum being a silly darn thing ahem.

When replying, use the blue reply button at the top of the page or this stupid forum "nests" the answers making a thread far more difficult to follo than it should be. Yea, we've sent a ton of requests to get that changed ... but who knows when it will.

You may very well know this but for others who may find this thread, another thing with Premiere's intriguing markers is ... some times you make clip markers, sometimes seq

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Oct 10, 2019 Oct 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure exactly what you mean.  If you want sequence markers to move when you add or delete something earlier in the timeline, that's pretty simple  It's in the ...  wait for it...  markers menu:  ripple sequence markers.  If you don't want the markers to move when you add or delete something earlier, turn it off...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm. Imagine that. Markers menu. Thanks! I'm so glad you were here!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 26, 2022 Mar 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey @Michael Grenadier , how about locking a marker to an asset/clip when using drag and drop, er, segement mode, so that when I shift a chunk of sequence the markers follow their position? My workaround right now is to do an insert edit to make space, but then I do a lot of dragging and trimming, which the markers DON'T follow - unless I'm missing something cool...

TIA, Dan

Dan Monro
DMONRO, LLC
dmonro@dmonro.com
DMONRO.COM

iMacPro (2017) 3ghz 10-core Intel Xeon W, 64gRAM, Radeon Pro Vega 64 16g - Currently running Catalina 10.15.7 Premiere 22.4 & Media Composer 22.4

MacbookPro (15-inch,2016)2.7ghz Quad-Core IntelCoreI7, 16gRAM, IntelHD 530 1536 MB - Currently running Monterey 12.4, Premiere 22.5 & Media Composer 21.12.0

Homemade PC IntelCore i9 3.6ghz, 64gRAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super - Currently running Windows 10 Pro 2004 & MC 2020.12

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't think you're missing anything.  Here's the thing, nle's are very complex pieces of software.  Not sure if it was true, but back when avid media composer was in it's early days, it had the most lines of code of any program...  and unfortunately when you change one thing, add a feature, whatever, it can have unintended consequences...  so not sure if your suggestion is a good idea, bwdik.  And this is not the place for feature requests.  Maybe do some searching here about where to do a feature request.    That said, the thing I would really like to add is the ability to change a marker with duration into an in and out...  or the ability to make it a subclip...  Both these features were available in FCP7 if I remember correctly and were very useful.   but honestly, I can work with the current functionality...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right on, thanks. I'll see about the Beta Forum. Cheers!

Dan Monro
DMONRO, LLC
dmonro@dmonro.com
DMONRO.COM

iMacPro (2017) 3ghz 10-core Intel Xeon W, 64gRAM, Radeon Pro Vega 64 16g - Currently running Catalina 10.15.7 Premiere 22.4 & Media Composer 22.4

MacbookPro (15-inch,2016)2.7ghz Quad-Core IntelCoreI7, 16gRAM, IntelHD 530 1536 MB - Currently running Monterey 12.4, Premiere 22.5 & Media Composer 21.12.0

Homemade PC IntelCore i9 3.6ghz, 64gRAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super - Currently running Windows 10 Pro 2004 & MC 2020.12

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've pushed for the ability to say hold the M key down while playing a sequence ... it drops a marker when you press, it's a duration marke with end when you let up.

The engineers just looked at me ... why on earth would you want that?

Because the current process to make a duration marker is INCREDIBLY fiddly and time-consuming and this would be fast and spiffy.

They looked at me like I had antennae coming out of my ears.

I still put in that UserVoice request ... ah well.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like that idea, post a link back and I'll upvote! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went back through my entire list of posts for UserVoice, and didn't see that one. I'll be it was back on the old system, and didn't get brought forward!

However, another user, @Kevin_Baird  I think, had made this one in the U-V system ... so here it is:

Make M key create duration markers when held down during playback

And it would do exactly that: hold down the M key during playback, creates a duration marker. Letting up stops playback and opens the Marker dialog. Sweet and simple!

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Neil, I upvoted. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 09, 2023 Oct 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can just answer without the sarcastic tone. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry if I offended you.  The post you seem to be commenting on was from 4 years ago.  Hopefully I've evolved since then.   Compared to some of the stuff I've been subjected to, it seems mild, but noted.    Adobe and in particular Kevin Monahan does a good job keeping the discussions here on a civil basis...  but my point was (and still is) that it's always a good idea to explore the menus...   Never a pleasant experience to be at a loss in front of a client (this is the voice of experience speaking).  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Tone" is always in the eye of the beholder ... and on forums, having emotional reactions to comments is not necessarily useful nor wise.

Michael is one of the more helpful and consistent volunteers "here" ... he's a HUGE asset to the user base. And compared to the two curmudgeonly guys that I learned so much for here in years back, the gentlest soul imaginable.

The posts of a couple major helpers who were still around about the time of the post you responded to were ... um ... terse ... direct ... totally unconcerned with anyone's "ridiculous feelings" ... and they got so many pro level users out of the messes we'd got ourselves into. But didn't expect anyone to worry about "feelings". Well, times have changed a bit. True.

Personally, I've had posts that seemed to me simple, direct and totally devoid of any emotional content. Though they at length answered a problem.

Yet a reader really got offended that I was "talking down" or "condescending" ... apparently, simply because I offered a detailed explanation ... which I do so that others who will read, can get some additional information and understanding if they don't already have it.

And at times, humans being humans, there's a bit of jesting here. And what one person thinks is a light, playful and 'safe' comment someone else at times gets offended by.

Yep, humans are all different. The only thing we can truly be is diverse, as all of us work differently, think differently, and feel differently than any other human on the planet. Which to me is always a joy ... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yeah, I've also been accused of talking down to people here.  So I often remind people that there's not always a way to see what their level of experience and expertise (not the same thing) from their post...   One way I've "evolved" since 4 years ago.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Locked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

forgive the slight snarkiness.  I've been doing this for an awfully long time, starting with avid, then fcp1 - 7 and then premiere CC a few years ago.  I've discovered it's always useful to explore the menus and if you don't understand what something means or does, look it up in the manual.  Unfortunately Adobe doesn't really do a good job in terms of manuals as far as I know but googling has been a great resource.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No harm no foul. Although I never really understood the need for the slight "dig" others seem to have a need to provide to an unsuspecting user in need of assistance. I too have been doing this for a minute but in my haste, while right-clicking on the marker revealed almost all options except that one, I went to google which a simple search of "how to lock markers to timeline in premiere" yielded less than stellar results. I simply missed the drop-down option. My bad. FWIW you are so very correct regarding the user manual. A solution used only when all other options have been exhausted. The support community is much quicker. If you don't mind the "snarky". 😉 But that's just me. I do appreciate the help though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bit of forum advice ... this new forum being a silly darn thing ahem.

When replying, use the blue reply button at the top of the page or this stupid forum "nests" the answers making a thread far more difficult to follo than it should be. Yea, we've sent a ton of requests to get that changed ... but who knows when it will.

You may very well know this but for others who may find this thread, another thing with Premiere's intriguing markers is ... some times you make clip markers, sometimes sequence markers. Clip markers are easy to make, but you have to work to make a sequence marker. If you're working in a timeline and a clip is "selected", M makes a Clip marker. If you click outside the media to deselect any clip, tap M, you make a Sequence marker.

They "live" in different marker windows ... it's ... complicated. Sigh.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Duly noted Neil! I appreciate that!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere Pro Help page with Link to 10/2018 user manual, AFAIK the most recent.

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/user-guide.html

Direct to the Manual

https://helpx.adobe.com/content/dam/help/en/pdf/premiere_pro_reference.pdf

It's actually quite good! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2023 Apr 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I place markers in timeline to define parameters for different short segments in the same timeline. I'd like to lock the markers in place so they don't move w/ editing. Can't find a way to do that. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines