• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

M1 Macbook Pro Rendering (15.4.1) 4k... SLOW

Explorer ,
Aug 23, 2021 Aug 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a 30min 4k, H.264 no third party plugins, with at max 5 transitions and it took 2hr 26min to complete.  I have been speaking with Adobe Care by way of Twitter, and not much assistance.  The "expert" told me 4k is large files, that is correct.  I need to make sure all other application that use up memory are closed. (i.e. Chrome). This same video, on my Windows PC took 20min with streaming Netflix (16GB RAM).  The M1 from what I reveiwed should not need me to close other apps to get the benefits of the faster rendering.  Something is not right with this upgrade.  No one is helping.  Is there a setting I need to ensure is turned on or off?  Please help.

TOPICS
Export , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tuwandap,

Sorry for the performance drop. I would try setting the "Match Sequence Settings" box and seeing if the output if faster. I'll try a test, as well, and will report back.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It makes it a MPEG file instead of MP4, no improvment of time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

It says 31 min. and not 2 hours and something from your screenshot. Didn't that fix your issue?

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I got the export kicked off and the estimate is 22 minutes. That is with a Lumetri Color effect added to each clip, something I think you may have added to clips but did not mention as I do see the panel open. Not really sure what to say as we have the same machines, and hey, these are 4K clips I shot on my iPhone. Sounds like we need more info.

You said something like, "I shouldn't have to close other apps while I'm exporting." If you have other GPU intensive apps running concurrently, they can harm Premiere Pro performance, no doubt: Chrome and Spotify being the biggest offenders.

Perhaps it would be inconvenient, but try to run those on other devices if you are experiencing GPU issues and exporting difficulties in Premiere Pro, M1, WIN box, no matter.

Hope we can help.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No improvement.  Closed everything. See attached

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FCPX works better using the M1 chip because FCPX can use the h.264/265 encoder and decoder of the M1 chip. I don't think Premiere Pro can. Premiere Pro can use Intel's Quick Sync. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 24, 2021 Aug 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never heard of FCPX needing to be used with Premiere Pro.  Frustrating that Adobe, don't have an answer for their product us. Adobe Care team dumb and run cauae they see me chatting here but still NO solution. Pay too much for this product and they cant give answers. 😤 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correction Final Cut, may need to learn it.  Just so many showing Adobe working.  Very frustrated 😠 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A thing to know about Final Cut Pro X is that it creates"Optimized Media" by default.  That is, it transcodes anything that's imported into Apple ProRes in the background.  Users can disable this, but depending on the source it can cause a rather significant drop in performance.

With Premiere Pro, creating optimized media is a manual process, but the benefits are the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tuwandup,

No one has stated Premiere Pro needs FCPX to run. I made a comparison. Adobe might be slower on the M1 computer because they do not have Intel's Quick Sync. Do you know what Nvenc is? Do you know what Quick Sync is? They both help to encode and decode H.264/265. The M1 chip has something simular to Quick Sync and Nvenc but Premiere Pro does not recognize it as of now. FCPX does. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just my point of view here but laptops are always a pain in the ass when editing. I still don't understand why people don't get a real editing station. As you said, it went super fast on your PC, it's not transportable like a laptop but the proof is there. Macs are good, but laptops have serious limitations when it comes to editing and we all see it everyday. Good luck with your work!

G.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sticking with Windows platform.  I guess I fell for the hype.  Others I know, work.  I didnt try with previous release to see if its something with new one. Just got the new laptop and downloaded the new release. Thanks for your point of view, its accurate in my case

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tunwandup and Silkroad,

FCPX on a M1 laptop can outperform a 12 core AMD Desktop CPU when editing and playing back H.264/265. The reason being is becuase the M1 chup has hardware encdoding and decoding that FCPX can tap into. Premiere Pro cannot. Your Windows PC is probably making use of Nvenc or Quick Sync as seen in the video below and that is why Premiere Pro performs better on the Windows PC. That being said I am sure Premeire Pro will make full use of the M1 chip soon. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This video help me to understand why im seeing 2hrs for rendering 30min, 4k, H.264.  Adobe you haven't improved as to GPU for rendering with M1.  It would have been nice that you just said that.

https://youtu.be/OTzRBNIhBXU

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tuwandap,

I believe that there is new decoding options for Sony XAVC 4K 10 bit decoding for HEVC in the latest beta version. Please check that out.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Max Yuryev provides some amazing hardware reviews on YouTube.

It would be great if he covered enabling Ingest Settings to transcode camera originals to an editing CODEC or using Media Encdoer to transcode camera originals to an editing CODEC, especially because he uses footage like Canon Cinema RAW Lite from c200 or Red .R3D files.  Maybe that's a topic for an actual Premiere Pro editing class.  However, let's say we were working in a post-production suite at, ooh... Technicolor.  Our camera original footage would get transcoded to a CODEC that's good for editing.  Avid Media Composer does it on ingest and even though the software supports bypassing this with AMA (Avid Media Access) linking, I don't know of one Avid editor that does that.  Final Cut Pro does it by default unless the user disables it.  Premiere Pro can do it, but it doesn't get the attention that it really should.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not impressed by Max Yuryev and here is why. 

If you look at some of his videos from about five years ago he kept saying how amazing FCPX is compared to Premiere Pro. I as well as many other people let him know FCPX can makes use of Quick Sync but Premiere Pro cannot. He knew we were right. Watch any videos after than and he constantly mentions Intel's Quick Sync. Don't get me wrong I think he should but he should have been hip to Intel's Quick Sync from the start be he was not. Quick Sync is why using FCPX an Apple Laptop would outperfom FCPX on an Apple Workstation. 

Now that Premiere Pro can use Intel's Quick Sync and Nvidia's Nvenc (H.264 encode/decode) Max Yuryev always uses an image stabilization filter in almost all the benchmarks. Why? I imagine less than 5% of all video projects use that filter. Why not always use a chroma-key filter even though most people will not use it? Do you see my point? Max Yuryev knows FCPX can render the image stabilization effect much fater than Premiere Pro. That being said most people would admit Premiere Pro's end result looks better than FCPX but that never gets mentioned in his videos. I wonder why? 

I admit Max Yuryev has a lot of electronic toys that he benchmarks but  I just don't think his benchmarking methods are done without a bias. If you don't use an image stabilizations filter 100% of the time  FCPX will not have a huge perfromance boost over Premiere Pro as implied by Max Yurvey's benchmark videos. Do you see my point? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no love for what Apple did to Finaal Cut Pro classic by discontinuing it and replacing it with Final Cut Pro X (not to mention destroying the well established naming of projects and sequences as well as getting rid of bins) but it runs really well on just about any Mac that can it.  If you have an older i5 you may have to edit with the proxies and be really patient when exporting, but it'll get the job done with a very modest amount of RAM.

I wish he'd mention that just because your camera shoots a particular format it does not mean that you should edit with it. 

As far as stabilization goes, I haven't seen anything as good as Lock n' Load X which no longer runs in Premiere Pro and After Effects. So, it's worth jumping over to a Library in FCPX long enough to run your footage through that and bring it back to Premiere Pro, Media Composer, After Effects, or Davinchi Resolve.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Aug 25, 2021 Aug 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Warren,

I have never used an image stabization filter nor have a lot of people. That is why Max Yuryev should not use that filter as a benchmark. I also thought it was odd Max Yuryev did not know about Quick Sync until many other people and myelf made him hip. I admit Max does have a lot of toys and does a lot of benchmarks but the benchmarks could be much better.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Transcode the MP4 clips to ProRes422 LT (or since, the source is H264, you might as well use ProRes422 Proxy) and watch everything in Premiere Pro happen almost before you can take a sip of coffee (Mac or Windows).

Even though we have hardware acceleration options for H264 and H265 on some systems, it's never been an editing CODEC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like you are exporting to an external drive, can you try to export to the internal drive and see if there's a difference?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2021 Nov 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the exact same issue as the OP. I've tried internal to limited success. Took it from 1.5 hours to less than one. 

Any other tricks?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 05, 2021 Nov 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Transcode the MP4 clips to ProRes422 LT (or since, the source is H264, you might as well use ProRes422 Proxy) and watch everything in Premiere Pro happen almost before you can take a sip of coffee (Mac or Windows).

Even though we have hardware acceleration options for H264 and H265 on some systems, it's never been an editing CODEC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2021 Nov 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any difference in terms of visual quality?
Thanks for the response! Seriously career saving.
--

Johnny Saye
Co-founder and People Nerd, Stale Chips
+1 (318) 348-1659 <+1+(318)+348-1659>
| www.stalechips.com
saye@stalechips.com

Create your own email signature

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines