Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

M1 Max Export Problems

Community Beginner ,
Nov 30, 2021 Nov 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

Sounds like a lot of people are having similar problems to me when trying to export a sequence as h264. I'm using Premiere 15.4.1 (2021) on a brand-new Macbook Pro 16" M1 Max. 32GB RAM 1TB SSD.

When viewing the export it's full of glitches and repeated frames (for example someone walking a step, jumping back then taking the same step again), which appear throughout but seem to be worse in any clips with a speed change.

The project is still in progress, so it's a combination of raw footage shot on Canon C300, some ProRes clips and h264 preview clips from a stock website (which will be replaced with ProRes).

Everything looks fine when rendered in the sequence but even checking "Use Previews" in the export dialog box doesn't help. Exporting as ProRes then converting in Media Encoder solves the issue, but this isn't exactly an efficient workflow.

I've tried both hardware and software encoding for the export. Software appears a bit better, but it still has a few glitches.

Can't upgrade to Premiere 2022 because this is the only M1 machine in the office and it will eventually be opened on an Intel machine (which can't be upgraded) so I'm very afraid if this probelm gets fixed it will only be fixed in the latest version and I'll be left with a very expensive brick.

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem , Export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Beginner , Feb 04, 2022 Feb 04, 2022

I feel you.

My work around is running Premier using Rosetta when I am gonna do exports. Not ideal, but saves me the headached of having so many issues when exporting. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Feb 04, 2022 Feb 04, 2022

Hi Sarah,

Sorry for the frustration. 

I'm both relieved and infuriated by the fact that I'm not the only person experiencing these issues.

Never did I expect the biggest obstacles in my business to come from Adobe. You've pulled the rug out from under my livelihood. Fix it.

Sorry. If you want to give feedback to the Adobe Premiere Pro team, please do so on User Voice, where they engage with users. This forum is a user-to-user-based forum with answers mainly from colleagues from the editin

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi DJ_Darren,

Sorry about that. Have you tried turning off hardware decoding in Media Preferences? That may help. You can run both versions of Premiere Pro side by side. As a test, you may want to check out the newer version (and the Beta) to see if your issue has been resolved. Hope you can get your issue resolved as soon as possible.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 01, 2021 Dec 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin.

Yes I've turned off both hardware encoding and decoding (and restarting Premiere). Decoding made no difference so I've turned it back on.

Good idea about opening in 2022. I did that, and have done 3 exports. Each one still had glitches in different spots, but I'd say there were probably fewer (could have been actually better, could have been just dumb luck). The speed change issue seems to have been fixed though, so that's a it of good news.

Forgot to mention in my original post that the project exports just fine on an Intel machine.

Thanks.

Darren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here, pink/green bars randomly pop up in footage... on screen logos disappear for a frame or two... 

Switched the project over to my iMac Pro, and there are no issues...

would love a solve for this.

M1 Max

Adobe 2022

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 01, 2021 Dec 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is your iMac Pro an M1 or Intel machine? If it's Intel how are you running 2022 on it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 07, 2021 Dec 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using cracked software is illegal and foolish, its a great way to get malware on your computer. Please do not discuss cracked or pirated software here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 14, 2021 Dec 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have same problem. I'm using premiere pro 2022 on Macbook Pro M1. I exported 5 times and tried everything when exporting a sequence as h264 but it didn't help. I hope adobe solve that problem as soon as. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 16, 2021 Dec 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having similar issues with H.264 exports from premier. Dark green and black frames appear in random parts of the export. I am working on a timeline with proress 422 and 444 clips. 

This happens in all available version of premier, including 22.2 Beta. I have clean cache, restarted computer and it keeps happening.

My current workaround is to send to media encoder and export with Mercury Playback Engine Software Only.  

Are more people experiencing this? Is this a hardware or software issue?

Should I be worry about the media engine, graphic cores or accelerators in my computer being defective or is this a software issue that will be fixed in future updates?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 22, 2021 Dec 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 07, 2022 Sep 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you find a solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 20, 2022 Jan 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also experiencing the same issue. However the issue seems a bit more specific after some testing.

When exporting footage (setting "Match footage-High Bitrate) without any additional Premiere "capabilities", meaning only footage and text and graphics, it exports without any issues.

When I add a "frame hold" to footage on a video track in the sequence, I get glitches and flashes in the export (same settings).

Is anyone else experiencing a difference between outputting footage without any added functions like frame holds, warps, etc versus with?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 21, 2022 Jan 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue. Opened intel version of premiere through CC app and exported without the glitches.

Maybe there is some problem with the m1 max rendering alpha channels and/or frame holds (my projects have both).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just received my M1 Max and am having the same issue exporting to h.264 with Apple silicon version.

Software encoding seems to be ok, but harware decoding results in green flashes, layers (MOGRT logos) popping on/off, and I've also seen visual distortion on slowed down clips.

I haven't done extensive testing yet as haven't had the time, but I'm basically using Intel versions of Premiere and Media encoder to get work done as can't rely on Apple silicon versions not to glitch.

There does seem to be a correlation with bad exports when frame holds are used in sequences, which is a big issue as frame holds are very common to extend GFX files.  We use them in every sequence to extend our MOGRT overlays.  

I'm surprised I haven't seen this issue talked about more, as hardware encoding/decoding was a big selling point for M1 Macs, but currently it's not reliable or very usable for exports.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does Final Cut Pro have these issues?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 23, 2022 Jan 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same amazing huge issue here.

Cannot describe how my Premiere Pro (v14.0)  is exporting on my brand new Macbook M1 2022 : it's just awful, whatever the codec is, Media Encoder or not. 

Cannot even imagine that this has not been tested. It's IMPOSSIBLE to do any proper export. 

I can very easily compare : I started and exported a project on my previous mac and follow on the new one. 

Now it means to rethink all workflows without Premiere Pro, after having lost hours trying to understand what the *%/.!§ was going on. 

Because the bad news for Premiere Pro is that this problem doesn't exist on Davinci Resolve. 

I just renewed my Premiere Pro suscription : so far, I cannot use this software anymore until you find a solution to this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 24, 2022 Jan 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Yannk,

Sorry. Try installing the new version while retaining your older version. See how the workflow operates in 22.1.2, then let us know how it goes, OK? There have been some updates to the M1 workflow since v.14.x.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2022 Sep 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin how has Adobe not Addressed this? I just got a Brand New Mac Studio M1 and ive been having the same glitching and flashing issues. This post was over 6 months ago and people are still having the same issues. What is Adobe doing about this??? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 24, 2022 Jan 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi JERRYr,

Sorry. Can you try adjusting Memory Preferences? That may help as mentioned in known issues: https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/kb/known-issues.html

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 04, 2022 Feb 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin,

I am still getting the same issue after adjusting the memory preferences. Glitches, dropped frames, and repeated frames in the wrong order, randomly occur when there is a frame hold on one of the video tracks (not all frame holds have the issue, it seems random). I open the intel version of premiere and everything exports correctly.

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jerry, 

Sorry for the frustration. I tried a test over here in the home studio. My source footage is H.264 from iPhone XS Max, some 4K, some random sized, and various frame rates. I just exported a short 2-minute sequence at 4K with color correction, compositing, video effects, etc., and had no issues. Sorry that my comment is not too helpful.

I think I'd need to know what is different between your sequence and mine. Could it be related to Big Sur? I can update to Monterey to see if that makes a difference.

Can you describe the contents of your sequence related to media, the duration/complexity of that sequence, and the kinds of effects you use? Maybe it would help me understand what you and others are experiencing.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for looking into this.

Did you try cutting the ends of your clips and adding frame holds to extend the timing? I am also using pro res 4444 clips with alpha channels that play over the clips that have frame holds.

I have tried exporting pro res and h264 without success.

Hope this helps you try to recreate this issue. It seems like most people have the problem when a frame hold is being used. It does seem to be random though and does not happen for every frame hold, even though the same treatment is being used.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, I am using Monterey on m1 max macbook pro 16 inch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm both relieved and infuriated by the fact that I'm not the only person experiencing these issues.

"Upgraded" from a 2019 MacBook Pro to the new FULLY maxed out 2022 M1 MacBook. The smoothness and speed in my editing process improved so much I couldn't believe it, but what's even more unbelievable was what happened when I finished a few projects and tried to export H.264 videos like I have for YEARS.

My 5-10 minute full HD wedding highlight videos are now exporting at horrific quality with glitches and all in its frames. It's slightly better exporting through software at a 2 pass vbr, but the time it takes and quality are unacceptable.

And my 720p zoom podcasts which avg 2.5-3 hours, can't even finish exporting without freezing halfway through the export after 30 minutes. 

Never did I expect the biggest obstacles in my business to come from Adobe. You've pulled the rug out from under my livelihood. Fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel you.

My work around is running Premier using Rosetta when I am gonna do exports. Not ideal, but saves me the headached of having so many issues when exporting. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Monahan is movin' to MontereyMonahan is movin' to Monterey

Hi,

I'm simply not seeing this, but I'm hanging back in Big Sur. Are you on Monterey? I'll update now to see if that makes any difference. Here we go Monterey!!

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines