• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

MAJOR Timeline Problem with Premiere 2023 following Playhead

Explorer ,
Oct 27, 2022 Oct 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can no longer tell Premier to stop following the Playhead. This is a MAJOR MAJOR problem.  Adobe, please, you need to fix this immedietly.  If I am playing a sequence and I move away from the playhead, ie further down the sequence, when I pause the sequence, or simply click up in the timeline to move the playhead to where I want to be, the sequnce jumps to wheeever the playhead stopped. This is a HUGE headache and VERY VERY amature. Adobe stop everything you are doing and fix this now please. This is bad, like really really bad. 

TOPICS
Editing , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 27, 2022 Oct 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I've paused Pr, and click in the timecode area, the playhead immediately jumps to where I click ... so maybe I'm not quite understanding your problem?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 28, 2022 Oct 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is not when the timeline is paused. The problem is when the timeline is playing. Lets say the timeline is 2min long. If I zoom in so I'm only seeing a portion of the timeline, lets say 20 seconds, and push play, so now the timeline is playing. Then if while the timeline is playing I move further down the timeline, to lets say the 1min mark, so now the playhead is not visible becuase its back at 20 seconds and its off the timeline screen. then if I push pause the timeline will jump back to where the playhead is. Also if instead of pushing pause I just click in the playruler it acts like a pause and jumps the timeline back to where the playhead is. So if the timeline is playing and then i scroll away from the playhed to find another part of the timeline and then click in the playruler where i want to start working next it will jump back to whee the playhead is and thus loos the spot i was looking for.  Attached is an example GIF of whats happening. There use to be an option to turn this off in the prefrences. Ibelieve it said something like "timeleine follows playhead" 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the main menu, Sequence menu, there's "Selection follows Playhead" ... that's the closest thing at this time to that wording. Not sure it's the same though.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah unfortunatly that ius not the same. Selection folloows the playhead means whever the playhead is in the timeline the video and audio that it falls on will be automatically selected. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Timeline will always stop at the play head's position and in the middle of the timeline no matter what.

There is a preference under Timeline; maybe that is what you were thinking of.

Timeline playback auto scrolling.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems you may be right about "Timeline will always stop at the play head's position and in the middle of the timeline no matter what."

I think what is throwing me off is when I click on the playruler while the playhead is off screen and playing, now it takes me back to where the playhead is. In the previous version (22) it put the playhead where you clicked, but now it treats the "click" like pressing stop and jumps back to where the playhead wass currently playing. I had to download V22 and it doesnt do that. Atached is an example from V22. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry but I dont see any difference in behavior 22 vs 23.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

watch the gif in uploaded above. If i click in the playruler while the sequences is playing in V23 it jumps back to the playhead. If i do that in V22 it doesnt jump back. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In both versions the playhead jumps under the cursor when click on the timeline

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not ture. I attached an example above to watch. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that is not what I am seeing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thats what im saying. There useto be a way to turn it off. If you watch the attached "timeline.gif" video is from V22 and it doesnt do it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have both versions loaded. Even tried in 2021 version. I can't scroll to get away from the playhead while playing with any of them.

And if while it's playing, I click the timeline ruler, play stops and the CTI jumps to where I clicked.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

please watch the attached "timeline.gif" video i uploaded. it show how it didnt do that in V22

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None of my versions can do the same as you were getting. I don't know how else to say it. I've checked  back through the 2019 version. I cannot scroll while playback occurs such that the CTI goes out of sight in any of them.

And in all of them, as playback is going on, if I click in the timeline ruler section, playback stops and the CTI goes to that spot.

So I cannot replicate with any version what you somehow had in 2022.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting. Nad what I believ I am suggesting is that there use to be an option to turn that off. I can not find that option in the 2023 version. So perhaps you have not selected top turn that off in earlier versions.  But ive been a professional editor for 20 years now, i edit 5 days a week for ther past 15 years,  and I guarantee, and have video proof, that you use to be able to make it not do that. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've also noticed this problem, and tried the earlier suggestions to turn it off, to no avail.  For me though, it wasn't a new issue that popped up in 2023.  I noticed it about 4 months ago.  It's super annoying.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-discussions/timeline-jumps-back-to-playhead-anytime-i-cl...

I think this is the problem discussed on a different post.  It's a hard problem to explain, and maybe most people use shortcuts to navigate the timeline instead so haven't noticed.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 17, 2023 Jul 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like you're using the wrong method of "Timeline Playback Auto-Scrolling"
The people who are having this issue are using No Scroll.

Edit > Preferences > Timeline> Timeline Playback Auto-Scrolling 

Change to No Scroll and you will see the issue he is experiencing. I am suffering from the same issue. It used to be, that when you scrolled ahead of where the playhead was, meaning the playhead is no longer in sight, and you press pause, it would continue to show you the part of the timeline that you were looking at when you hit pause, it now jumps you back to where the playhead was at the moment you hit pause.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 18, 2022 Dec 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also running into this problem! For me, I've noticed it acts up the most when I use CMD+Left/Right key to nudge the clip over a few frames. The playhead will randomly bounce to the beginning of a clip in the middle of the timeline and I lose my place. Also, caption tracks seem to make this react as well. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 17, 2023 Jul 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not the same issue as the original post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 05, 2023 Jan 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure my problem is the same or something different. In my case, the playhead just stops. tried everything I have read in various places online. very frustrating. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2023 Jan 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i too am having this same trouble

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines