Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Massive delays after minor (?) edits and/or task switching

Engaged ,
Sep 04, 2023 Sep 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there,

haven't used PP in a decade+, so I'm basically back to basics.

System Info: 
Win 10
128 GB RAM

4x M2 Key SSDs for scratch (1 TB disk dedicated for cache) & clips
Dual Xeon CPUs (lower grade)
Quadro M5000 GPU (8GB)

PP version 23.6.0.(Build 6s)

Project Info:
7x tracks 4K ProRes
2x tracks FHD ProRes
multicam

2 audio tracks (1 disabled, for reference, , all others "deleted")

1 main sequence containing one nested sequence, and that one containing 2 straight clips and 7 nested 

Problem info:
no crashes or freezing, super smooth playback at 25% res, but if I, e.g., create a keyframe, it takes several seconds to process and letting me "touch" the interface again. Same goes for returning to PP after task switching (web browser), or opening a source clip inside PP, the latter taking especially long to open. 
Once PP has "recovered", I can scrub and play back like it's nothing, but getting there is a pain.

Steps taken so far:

1. deleted all cache
  2. rolled back to the latest studio GPU driver (tried multi monitor, just caused problems, GPU probably isn't related)
  3. restarted Premiere
  4. closed all other software, using iPad for all other necessary tasks
  5. ran the Adobe Premiere diagnostics tools with no results

Is this something I have to live with for now? It's rather debilitating. PP works way, way smoother than AE, which I constatnly use since years, but those "thinking breaks" in between are frustrating.

I tried searching, but Google mostly turns up articles to "slow motion", "filming reactions" and hardware related issues, English isn't my native language, so I'm out of otions.

Thanks!
TOPICS
Error or problem , Hardware or GPU , Performance , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need at least 32 gig of ram to edit 4K and 16 for HD.

Adobe Premiere Pro System Requirements

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, in my post I mentioned having 128 GB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry my mistake.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 17, 2023 Sep 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It appears, this delay comes to be whenever I click into a different window, for example, switch to comparison view and then go back into the timeline window, I have to wait 7 seconds until I can move the playhead, play back or similar. That quickly turns into a minute, hour etc. What is PP DOING when that happens, and ist there any setting I could improve?

Edit: this also often influences effects, e.g. color wheels. If I try to work as I'd expect, i.e. click on the wheel and drag, often nothing happens, because there's that delay again, and I have to undo, because in the meanwhile the crosshair position is somewhere in extremis. So I#d have to hover click, waiiiiiiit, count to about 7 seconds, then drag.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 27, 2024 Jan 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever find a solution? This just started happening to me today. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 28, 2024 Jan 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Frankly, I can't remember, I'm sorry... it may have been an update fixed it, which often seems to be the case, but atm that doesn't help you. Maybe powering off/on will, or saving the entire project as, I'm sorry I can't help. I believe I finished the project in slo-mo mode, since I was already almost done...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 28, 2024 Jan 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No worries, thank you for the response! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 29, 2024 Jan 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In case you figure it out, don't be like me and please post your findings!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 29, 2024 Jan 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@AntonioPicante 

Delete the Media Cache and Media Cache files:
https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/faq-how-to-clear-your-media-cache-in-30-seconds-in-premi...

If that doesn't work, try resetting the preferences:
https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/faq-how-to-reset-trash-preferences-in-premiere-pro/td-p/...

If that doesn't work, try resetting the Workspaces:
Reset a workspace
Reset the current workspace to return to its original, saved layout of panels.
1. Do one of the following:
• Click the Workspace menu icon and select Reset to Saved Layout.
• Choose Window > Workspace > Reset to Saved Layout.
from here:
https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/workspaces.html

If that doesn't work, try Preferences > Audio Hardware and set Input to None.

If that doesn’t work, try updating or rolling back your graphics driver directly from the video card manufacturer’s site. If NVIDIA, do a clean installation of the latest Studio Driver (NOT the Game Driver).

If that doesn't work, try creating a new project and import the old one into it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines