• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Media offline when I open project in Windows with drive in new port.

New Here ,
Jul 19, 2017 Jul 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have recently switched over from Mac to Windows and I have been experiencing many small issues.

Dell XPS 9950:

-Running Windows 10

- i7 2.6ghz

- Nvidia GTX 960M latest driver

- 16 GB RAM

- Windows 10 pro

- Premiere Pro 2017.1.2

The issue I am concerned with here is; if I close my project, eject my drive and shut down my system. Then re open my project, I have to re link my files even though my files have not changed location, the drive may be plugged into a different USB port but the name of the drive is still the same. It seems Premiere Pro looks for the address of the drive ("C:" or "E:") rather than the name of the drive as it should. I have very large projects that take a long time to re link and I am always switching between drives in different USB ports, this was never a problem with Mac.

Any suggestions, please?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows is not Mac... always plug into the same port

Go to http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/default.aspx to learn and for ALL Windows help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Windows is not Mac... always plug into the same port

Go to http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/default.aspx to learn and for ALL Windows help

Plugging into a different port doesn't affect drive letter assignment. It's the availability of the drive letter itself, regardless of where you plug it in. If you plug other drives into other ports that use the drive letter previously assigned to your footage drive, even if you plug your footage drive into the same port, it will be assigned a different drive letter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Hannah,

This issue is not uncommon and Premiere has a feature called Link Media that makes what you;re experiencing less painful.

Have a look at the video below that explains it quite well.

Use Link Media to quickly locate and relink offline files in Premiere Pro | Adobe Premiere Pro CC tu...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the drive letters are changing, you'll keep running into this issue. As a workaround, you could use Disk Management on Windows to manually change the drive letter of your drive to something alphabetically lower (like X:), so that it doesn't get affected when other drives are plugged in, since Windows assigns new drive letters alphabetically.

The assigned drive letter is saved with the drive, and the next time you plug it in it should show up as X: again.

To do this:

- Right-click on the Start button > Disk Management

- Right-click on your drive in the list > Change Drive Letter and Paths

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines