• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

missing sequence presets or codec

Community Beginner ,
Jun 15, 2012 Jun 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot open saved projects! Instead, when I open a saved Premiere Pro project I get the error message: "This project contained a sequence that could not be opened. No sequence preview preset file or codec could be associated with this sequence type."

I am running Premiere CS6 on a MacBook Pro 10.7.4. I am not subscribed to creative cloud. I do not have any previous versions of Premiere installed (ie. CS5, CS5.5).

This message seems to be a pretty common problem among CS6 users. Here is a recent thread for creative cloud users experiencing this error message: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4496308 Like others, I am unable to open old projects, but I can still start new projects. However, when creating a new project, my  sequence settings seem to be missing  presets:Pr+sequence+presets.jpg

any ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Aug 18, 2012 Aug 18, 2012

If you're having problems with sequence presets and codecs missing from Premiere Pro, see this document for solutions for this activation issue:

http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/kb/features-presets-missing-premiere-pro.html

This document relates to the following problems:

- missing sequence presets when creating a new sequence

- Encore error: "Encore will not launch in non-royalty bearing mode. The application needs to be serialized with a royalty bearing serial number."

- When opening a project

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Oct 04, 2012 Oct 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems a lot easier to just fix the actual problem by using Adobe's solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It took me less than 1 minute to edit the project files in notepad...  Sounds a lot faster than re-installing it

Note:  My deactivation was greyed out, so I couldn't do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe's solution doesn't require a reinstall.

If Deactivate was grayed out, then all you had to do was reactivate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are referring to - http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/kb/missing-sequence-presets.html

Deactivition wasn't available

The alt + ctrl didn't work for me.

If you are referring to - http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/kb/features-presets-missing-premiere-pro.html

I am activated, and I was not give any serial number/activation options

or Re-installing CS6 which I didn't have to do.

I'm not aware of any other adobe solutions, but if you have any please share.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like something got really smurfed up with your installation beyond this issue.

Your fix might be the easy band-aid, but a reinstall might still be the better option in the long run.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally agree.  I do miss my presets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is really a problem with Adobe's  registration and activation system. Adobe needs to fix the bug so that our activation information is retained. We should not be having to resort to all these measures just to use software we have purchased, registered, and activated. I have tried all the "solutions," but none works permanently. They're all just temporary quick fixes. Please report the bug to Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2012 Oct 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is still an issue as of this morning.  It's happened to me twice in one month for no apparent reason.

From what I'm reading, it's happening more often with the Creative Cloud.

Both times, I had to uninstall Premiere Pro, reinstall it, and install the latest updates.

During the failure, it renders existing projects, that worked minutes before, completely ununsable.  And even after a reinstall, some video clips within a project will work, but some identical-type (AVCHD) clips stay "offline," and won't render.

Today's solution was a complete uninstall of all CS6 products, running the cleaner and rebooting twice, reinstalling, and updating.  But then, Dreamweaver was missing a dll file until I installed and updated another CS6 applicaion.

Many hours later, everything's back to "normal," and my original Premiere Pro projects now function properly.

This is a very serious bug that shouild be addressed immediately, please!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 01, 2012 Dec 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I felt pretty brilliant when I thought maybe I could edit the .prproj file in a text editor (Premiere Project files are actually just XML) and edit the sequence settings, tried it, and it actually worked. Then I found out other people had figured that out.

To repeat: in an emergency, where you can't or don't have time to reinstall Premiere repeatedly, you can manually edit the XML file and change all of the sequence settings to common codecs - it's actually pretty easy. 

Found this link in another thread: http://schiho.com/2012/09/25/adobe-premiere-cs6-sequence-cannot-open/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2013 Jan 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My "preset missing" problem seems to be intermittant.  I started Premire this morning, got the message that "one or more 3rd party items were missing and your sequences will be modified, or quit Premire and reinstall all 3rd party items", and when I looked at my sequence presets, they were mostly gone.

I found this page and started to follow the easiest of the Adobe directions "unregister and reregister", but when I re-started Premire to unregister, I didn't get the "3rd party items missing" message and all of my sequence presets were back.

I'm currently using the cloud subscription.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 11, 2013 Feb 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a Creative Cloud member and I am also getting the same hugely time-wasting nonsense error message: "This project contained a sequence that could not be opened. No sequence preview preset file or codec could be associated with this sequence type". The solution seems to be to deactivate and the reactivate but it is not obvious WHERE that can be done - using the help menu - register, licence, license, deactivate produces no results - the Adobe answer is to use 'deactivate'  - OK so WHERE is that on the menus - how do I get to that screen?

After wasting a lot more time I did get it to come up but not sure how. I reactivated and now it works again - but not sure for how long. I also don't know whether I am now running a trial version or not.

So in summary - very confusing, total waste of time, gives me a lack of confidence in the product - hello Avid

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 11, 2013 Feb 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the Adobe answer is to use 'deactivate'  - OK so WHERE is that on the menus

Help>Deactivate...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 27, 2013 May 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem, same message.  Finally after reading through all these post it began to sound like an activation issue to me.  Sure enough, it was.  For some reason my folks forgot to talk to their folks and tell 'em I paid. . . or come sort of cyber equivalent.  I just opened a new project and deactivated (under the HELP tab) which closed the program.  I then restarted and all was good as new.  Hope your fix is as easy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2014 Jul 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't be bothered being polite because this problem has happened far too many times. Fix the problem. Don't tell us we need to de-activated, re-download, re-install, or whatever. Once the software is installed and working it should stay that way.

You have enough mechanisms in place to staunch pirates as it is; this bullshit "activation" of codecs is simply a kick in the shins for those of us who pay for the products. I'm sick of crossing my fingers when I open my projects hoping that the codecs haven't randomly disappeared.

Fix the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 08, 2014 Jul 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still get that in CC and I think I might not renew my membership because I waste a lot of time about these missing codecs, especially, MTS files and HDV mpeg.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 30, 2015 Sep 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you get the following message try these steps:

"This project contained a sequence that could not be opened. No sequence preview preset file or codec could be associated with this sequence type."

Step One: Do not empty your Recycle Bin (but it might already be too late for that) hit restore on Recycle Bin.

Step Two: Make sure you have the internet. Open you Adobe Apps box, click on the Gear Wheel on the top right. Sign out then sign back in.

Step Three (if necessary) Restore your entire computer to the last updates or to the time right before the Codecs went missing,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines