Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

MOGRT poor performance

New Here ,
Jan 18, 2023 Jan 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I'm just wondering how the use of MOGRTs are going for people? 

The feature promises so much yet it works atrociously. It shouldn't have been rolled out in its current state, it's insanely buggy and the rendering times are in the hours for a few seconds of template. Oddly, the Estimated Time Left also gives wildly inaccurate times, so even Premiere itself has no idea how long it takes to render the MOGRT sequences. This is NOT helpful when needing to report to clients and superiors about how long an edit is taking to render. Overall, Premiere is becoming increasingly difficult to manage and predict time-wise. Is the program becoming too bloated to run properly? 

Can anyone from Adobe report on whether there are any improvements coming for this feature, and in general Premiere itself?
Seems like the program would best be served being stripped down to run quicker rather than packed with features that can barely run.  

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can anyone from Adobe report on whether there are any improvements coming for this feature, and in general Premiere itself?
Seems like the program would best be served being stripped down to run quicker rather than packed with features that can barely run.  

By @default25041600hxli7x

Adobe does not comment on these matters.

If you can always give the beta a spin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion about the Beta version. Does this potentially smooth out some of the issues with Mogrts?

"Adobe does not comment on these matters."

Ahh, that's OK then. I'll say the same thing to my managers when they next ask how long a project will take to render. OR the organisation I work for could just switch to another editing suite I guess and cancel the subscription. I find Adobe really strange sometimes in its outlook and handling of its users.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neither Adobe nor BlackMagic (Resolve) comment aboout anything ahead of it appearing in their Public Beta programs.

For creating full-on mogrts, Ae is really the better app. That said, I've created a ton in Pr without any of the problems you've listed.

So ... give us some details of what you're doing. Often, simply doing something in a different way works the same and processes better also ...

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using one of the MOGRTs that are included with Premiere Pro, one from Adobe Stock, or one from another publisher of MOGRTs?

Most of the MOGRTs included with Premiere Pro like Bold Lower Third, Bold Title, Classic Logo Presents should perform well on any computer that meets the minumum system requirements.

MOGRTs from Adobe Stock like Flip Square Slideshow Replacement Title are gorgenous, but are likely to lag quite a bit on an i5, be sluggisg on an i7, while being rather responsive on an i9.

One way to speed up the render time of MOGRTs while editing is to set the Video Preview in the Sequence Settings to a smaller frame size.  Of course, this is trading image quality for render time while editing and those previews cannot be used when exporting a file for delivery later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This seems to be the case. What's likely happened is that as Adobe has become the leader they've become complacement, as companies usually get when cornering a market. Premiere Pro has gone the same way. They introduced a Premiere/After Effects intermediate feature called MOGRTs which absolutely kill your machine and derail your projects. Does't matter the machine spec or project organisation. This has beent the case for two years and there's no sign of improvement. It's great that Adobe has contempt for it's core users. There's so many people making Youtube essays and Minecraft videos in Premiere in their bedrooms though that Adobe don't care, so those of us with schedules and managers and projects to complete have to suck it up and keep having to say "it'll be a bit longer" until we get in trouble. I HATE using Premiere. And I loved using Premiere up until it became troublesome a few years ago. I still use it because the companies I work for like the convenience of the Adobe suite. It's worth remembering that Final Cut once cornered the market but screwed up and then lost ALOT of it's client base as a result. This is what I hope happens to Adobe so they can learn from it, fire the lazy execs and software engineers and get back to providing great software like they did 10+ years ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i think just about every for-profit corp has the same problems: there's a lot to like, and a lot to dislike.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

True, no company is perfect or should be expected to be and there will always be issues, especially with something as complex as software and multiple variables regarding the end users. However... it's been known for two years for MORGTs are not just laggy, but often just flat don't work properly. If I purchased a van which wobbled and crashed at 55mph that van would need to be recalled as its not fit for purpose. MORGTs come very close to not being fit for purpose and that's when really there should be an effort to acknowledge the problem, even if ti'll take a couple of years to sort out, or multiple updates. As for the profit thing - well, as what happened to Final Cut - your profits are at risk anyway if you don't continue the quality. There's always a competitor waiting to take your crown no matter how big a company is. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i don't use premiere and so cannot even comment on morgt's and premiere.  probably a better place to discuss this would be the premiere forum.

do you want me to move your posts there?  (it's possible an expert there will have something worthwhile to offer.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, yes please. I've been wrangling with Premiere all day so my brain is sort of fried.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Warren's resources are an excellent start.

Motion graphics templates can be incredibly complex beasts, or very simple. And just looking at the result doesn't give any hint of the complexity underneath the hood. So some seemingly simple ones are hard on certain systems, while others that appear more complex aren't.

But then, there's a huge difference between different mogrts depending on the skills and choices of the maker.

And this is crucial in the performance any user of said mogrt will get.

I've seen visually complex ones designed beautifully from simple elements and steps. Those worked on even basic laptops very nicely.

I've seen what look to be rather basic things that were very poorly constructed, and very, very "heavy" on the system. When the exact same result could have been created as a much easier to process tool.

My desktop and 4 year old laptop handle many mogrts with ease. Some do tax my desktop a wee bit, some really impact my laptop. So I work knowing that and make allowances. I don't do mogrt work on the laptop except at total need.

And you can open any mogrt in Ae, and see the entire structure and effects/animations used. At times, very useful to be able to do that.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

<moved from animate >

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Motion Graphics Templates are a direct response to users who requested a way to edit motion graphics created in After Effects directly in the Premiere Pro Timeline.  Users asked for it and the After Effects team and Premiere Pro team delivered.

While MOGRTs are easy to just drag and drop into the Timeline, those making use of them should take the time to learn more about them with the following free resources:

And for a deep dive:

Like any After Effects Comp, MOGRTs can be complex and complexity means longer render time.  The chapter "Optimizing MOGRT performance" in Jarle's free guide provides excellent guidance for better performance when creating MOGRTs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 03, 2023 Feb 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im having a heck of a time with some basic L3's that were created.  we have 3 computers in our space. 
all are the same spec: Mac Pro 2019, 12 core Xeon, 96G RAM, Vega II 32GB
on 2 of the computers, the MOGRTs run smoothly.  on the 3rd computer, it grinds it to a halt.  HOWEVER, on the 3rd computer, if i make a new user profile and use the MOGRT it runs perfectly. So i'm pulling out my hair with the bunk user profile.  I've uninstalled/reinstalled premiere... trashed all the preferences...  The only thing that i havent done yet is to nuke this entire profile and start over and rebuild everything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for posting ... and that's certainly intriguing.

So something in the User Profile is the issue ... huh.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apparently specific to that user profile on Computer 3.  We are on AD here, so for funzies, I had the owner of Computer 3 make a new profile on my computer and try to edit this same project... and no issues.

So on Monday we are going to have an Admin log in to Computer 3, and completely nuke the owner's profile and start over. 

I wish I had more time to investigate, but it's already been 3 days, trying what i know (killing pref files, un/reinstalling software, running speedtests/pings, disabling things in startup, clearing out Adobe-related things in his library, deleting all unnecssary fonts, using stock layouts in premiere, re-doing the MOGRTS in AE, moving positions of where cached Motion Templates are stored, using both methods of importing MOGRTs into Premiere, to name a few)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 06, 2023 Feb 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We nuked his profile, started new, and all problems have gone away.

I'm still trying to fugure out how to best implement MOGRTS in a shared environment in a shared project on a SAN but thats another issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 06, 2023 Feb 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I know that the CC Libraries are often used for that deployment.

For archiving them with the project they were created for, creating a "Local Folder" in the folder tree of the project works. Extra steps at times but gets the job done.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines