Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Mono track to Stereo Submix Pan law confusion

Community Beginner ,
Jun 10, 2022 Jun 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just seeking clarification on the following:

For a STEREO sequence, I've noticed that routing MONO audio tracks to Stereo Submixes or the Stereo master mix results in a -3db attenuation, which I assume is due to pan law.

In a MULTICHANNEL sequence, routing MONO audio tracks to a Stereo Submix also results in a -3db attenuation. However, when routing the MONO track to the multichannel master mix, no attentuation occurs at all.

Can someone explain to me why that is? 

TOPICS
Audio , Editing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 10, 2022 Jun 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The better place to ask this is on the Audition forum, as that's where the users with good hard knowledge of audio things hang,

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jun 13, 2022 Jun 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's give this a try.

You obviously understand the Stereo Pan Law, and why it is used so I'll leave that out of it (unless someone wants me to add this?) but in a 5.1/Multichannel mix you should be able to set this in the panner.

Are you using the hopelessly inadequate panner in Premiere Pro? I ask because in Audition there is an option to set the Pan Law in the 'Properties/Mixing' tab as per the screenshot - it is better than PPro, but still hopelessly clunky to work with.

https://www.audio-digital.net/a-pages/audio-pan-law.html

I can also recommend this as a good starting point for the Premiere panners:

https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/premiere-pro/using/panning-balancing.html

Please let me know if you need more, but if so please will you include what you are using & the OS?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the post, Neil!

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Neil,

Thanks for the response. I've been using Premiere (windows 10 pro) and was just going through setting up a multichannel sequence when I noticed the Mono track to Multichannel output anomaly. I understand pan law in regards to stereo submixes or stereo master outputs (-3db). But I  was just wondering why it doesn't apply to the multichannel master output mix.

For example, in my multichannel sequence, I'm routing my mono tracks to a stereo submix...thus resulting in a -3db attenuation. but when i send that same mono track directly to the multchannel output mix (1/2) no attenuation occurs. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Steve G and some of the others over on the Audition forum would have a better shot at understanding/explaining this. Also the Audition program devs pop in at times on questions like that over there ... and they are the people that run audio for all the Adobe video apps, including Pr.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines