• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Motion Not Smooth - Ghosting?

Explorer ,
Nov 09, 2016 Nov 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, any help with this would be much appreciated.

I took some video with my iPhone 7 Plus at 30fps. I ran it through Handbrake to get a constant frame rate of 29.97fps. I imported this footage into Premiere Pro CC (latest version) and dang, it's laggy as heck. I pre-rendered everything and am playing back the preview at 1/4 and it's still terrible to edit. Slow, choppy, freezing, horrid. But that's a secondary issue.

I finally got it rendered out and the final product has a ghosting effect (for lack of a better term). Maybe it would be better termed "motion artifacts." I can't really explain it except to say that during movement (which the entire video is my kids running around up close) it's like I see the movement being repeated. Say an arm swings back and forth, well, I see the arm multiple times doing the same motion. Like it's repeating or something. Or leaving a trail. It's especially bad during fast motion like when my daughter's doing cartwheels.

My sequence settings match the clips.

29.97 fps

1920x1080

square pixels

progressive

29.97 drop-frame timecode (not sure what these options should be)

Then I exported at the matching settings.

same resolution, fps, progressive, square pixels, "main" profile

I also rendered at maximum depth, I used maximum render quality, time interpolation is set to "frame sampling", VBR 2 pass, 20mbps target bitrate, 30 max

Any thoughts on how to eliminate this problem (and also eliminate the freezing in the preview pane so that I can edit more easily and accurately)?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

does the problem appear if you playback in VLC?

does the same problem appear if you render handbrake to 30fps?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for the response. I haven't tried playing back in VLC. I have played the handbrake clips in WMP but the problem is not there. It's only after editing in Premiere that the problem occurs.

I also haven't rendered the clips in handbrake to 30fps. I'd have to re-do my entire project if I were to do that. But it's worth a try. I can just do a test clip I suppose. It's funny though . . . I've used these settings on a different project from my phone and the issue wasn't there.

I'll be honest. Using Sony Vegas was SO MUCH EASIER than using Premiere. Not as powerful a tool maybe but plenty powerful for my needs. It seems as if every video I make there is some new problem stemming from Premiere. Just a useless rant, sorry.

Also, now, for some reason, the entire project lags and lags and is almost impossible to edit, even though the sequence settings are all perfect, etc. I don't understand it.

One thing that came to mind is that perhaps it's the shutter speed of the video, which I never bothered to set in Filmic. In fact, I didn't even realize until I looked it up today that the shutter speed can be controlled. I'll have to set that in the future as well. Definitely seems like the brighter sections of the video the problem is more prominent so maybe the shutter speeds are ridiculously fast . . . I don't know. Just another idea.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines