• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

No audio for imported .mp4 file in Premiere Pro CC?

New Here ,
Feb 10, 2017 Feb 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This problem happened before and I can't remember how to fix it. I imported an .mp4 file and the file is purple, with no audio playing when I drag it into my timeline, but it plays in Windows Media Player just fine. Everything was fine yesterday but today it's doing this all of a sudden. I tried using the media browser to import. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Adobe CC. Nothing is working but I've had this problem before and fixed it. I just don't remember how.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you double clicking on the clip and having it displayed in your source panel then only dragging the video portion? It may sound stupid to ask, but when I first started out, I couldn't figure out why my audio wasn't being dragged as well. If there is an audio track, you can drag that separately from the video.

audio_video.pngaudio.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 09, 2020 Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi very wierd version of the same problem happening here.

I have shot my footage on a A7SII using 1920x1080 @ 25fps with audio. 

Using premiere pro v13.1.5(b47) (cc2020)

the files are showing up as Iris in the directory, which is default for movie type.

while playing in the source monitor i can hear the audio and the thumbnail in directory indicates a linked audio.

however upon importing it into a timeline, the audio will not show up. whether I drag from the screen or using the separate audio and video buttons on the monitor window.

the video comes but no audio.

heres where it gets really wierd:

if i drag it into a blank timeline window (no timelines opened), then it makes a new timeline with the audio and the video. but any clip that i add to that timeline refuses to bring its audio.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wow i cannot believe my own luck

solved problem by right clicking on file in directory > modify > audio channels > see below.

BeforeBefore BEFORE

AfterAfter AFTER

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Delete media cache as shown below:

FAQ: How to clean media cache files |Adobe Community

Then rename top folder the footage is in

and try again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are no cache files; that's all cleared out. I dragged the file onto the timeline directly from the list of imported files. In the source panel, there's no option to drag audio because the icon is grayed out. I can only drag video from there. I've always just dragged from the list of files. I've done nothing different since last night.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried resetting preferences?
Configure preference settings in Premiere Pro

Or maybe create a new project and import that sequence or start all over?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AlexJBrimmer wrote:

There are no cache files; that's all cleared out. I dragged the file onto the timeline directly from the list of imported files. In the source panel, there's no option to drag audio because the icon is grayed out. I can only drag video from there. I've always just dragged from the list of files. I've done nothing different since last night.

As soon as you drag/import or whatever clips into Premiere cache files are generated.

What is the origin of these files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 19, 2021 Feb 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this problem as well and after about an hour of trying all different options the solution was as simple as selecting the audio channel. Screen Shot 2021-02-19 at 12.59.08 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-02-19 at 12.59.20 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 02, 2021 Aug 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you are a lifesavior. I will flipping marry because i had been going at this for like 4 hours and i finally found this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 21, 2023 Jul 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

THANK YOU

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 03, 2022 Aug 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG thanks! I tried this and it didn't work then read yours, tried again and it worked. THANK YOU!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and the file is purple

What exactly does that mean?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 11, 2017 Feb 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Default color label as shown in list view:

purple (lavendel) is video only

blue (iris) video and audio

green (caribbean) audio only

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 11, 2017 Feb 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got it.  I don't care for the labels all the way left, so I turn them off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines