Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

No audio when importing .mov files into PPCC

Community Beginner ,
Aug 06, 2016 Aug 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm almost at my wit's end.  I'm working on a project that uses .mov files.  Problem is, whenever I import them into the bin, no audio shows up (not even in the preview window).  I've tried to use media encoder to make a copy of the files into .mp3 and .wav format, but the files just come out silent.  No waveforms or anything.  Then, I tried to encode them as Quicktime, and PP won't recognize the file type.  I'm at a loss right now.  I honestly didn't have a problem with it until this last update.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Sep 02, 2016 Sep 02, 2016

I installed Filmic Pro on my iPhone and shot two clips, one with AAC audio and one with AIFF audio. Sure enough, the one with AIFF audio lost the audio upon import to Premiere Pro and even when I dragged it into Media Encoder. Seems to be a bug that's worth logging: Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Could be a problem with Filmic Pro recording with AIFF audio, could be a problem somewhere else.

Moral of the story for filmmakers: Always test your workflow before shooting. (This should not be a new m

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2016 Nov 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I experienced exact same problem last night, copying .mov directly from the usb port on my iphone6s+ via windows explorer.  Using  Premiere 2017cc play in premiere, and properties on video showed no sound and none would play. playing same file in Windows 10 Movies and TV worked fine (or seemed to).  However, overnight that same 41547460 byte file synchronized with icloud photos showed up in my downloads folder finally, and I copied that same file (which was same exact size to the byte) and it showed the audio and played in premiere!  now I thought this was really strange, and md5sum on the file was EXACTLY the same .

To make a long story longer, longer,  the issue seems to hidden on the filesystem... not necessarily in the file itself .. not sure if it's something in a alternate stream.

the only difference is the properties doesn't have the 2 audio lines when shown.

premiere properties:

File Path: G:\Premiere Projects\thanksgiving\IMG_8369.MOV

Type: MPEG Movie

File Size: 3.96 GB

Image Size: 3840 x 2160

Frame Rate: 30.00

Source Audio Format: 44100 Hz - compressed - Mono

Project Audio Format: 44100 Hz - 32 bit floating point - Mono

Total Duration: 00:12:31:05

Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.0

VR Projection: None

when the file fails, it doesn't show the audio icon in lower corner of thumbnail.

copying the good one "over" the bad file on D: -    failed same way!

rename the bad file, copied with same name to D:  - failed!

copy to D: (allow windows to keep both files), it created IMG_8369 (2).MOV -  GOOD!

not sure if that's because something that breaks the properties was still cached someplace, or if it's still reading the hidden data.

bottom line try syncing with icloud instead of copying through explorer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2017 May 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TRANSFER FOOTAGE TO EXTERNAL DRIVE...THEN BACK AGAIN

I have had this problem with my high school class filming with Iphones of all kinds. No audio files. The original downloaded files on the computer have audio but when you import them to Premiere the audio is gone. MY FIX-Drag all the video files from the computer(Dell) to an external drive or a usb thumb drive. Re import them to the computer from the drive in a new folder, then from there import to premiere.  Sometimes I have to put them on a drive from the Dell, transfer them to a Mac computer, then transfer them back to the drive, then back to the dell and import to Premiere.

The problem is usually caused by importing Iphone footage directly to the computer via Iphone cord. The problem does not occur if students upload to a cloud or Google drive, but then it can take forever for footage to transfer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2024 Jun 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I was having the same problem and I exported the audio only from my quicktime player and was able to drop that right into my timeline. Just go to file>export as>audio only, and save the audio only file.

Hope that helps someone 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines