• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Open captions not visible after rendering (Premiere Pro 14.9 and earlier)

Community Beginner ,
Jan 24, 2017 Jan 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I'm new to the Captions option in Premier Pro. I have 4 caption clips on the timeline with multiple captions in them. I can see the captions in the program monitor and also see the style changes I made to the text. But when I render the footage on the timeline, the captions disappear. What could the issue be?

Thanks!

TOPICS
Export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Aug 09, 2019 Aug 09, 2019

An update solved this particular issue for a majority of our users. If you have similar issues with captions, kindly create a new post and do not create an additional post here. That would help us triage only existing issues, not ones that have been addressed.

Thank You,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 108 Replies 108
Enthusiast ,
Jun 27, 2018 Jun 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

kre57  wrote

...Is Adobe planning to address this at all?

Make sure you report any issues, or make any suggestions, at the site designated for both types of reports...

Premiere Pro: Hot (1564 ideas) – Adobe video & audio apps

You might want to start by searching for "open captions" to see other existing reports/suggestions. The following link is an example of searching for "open captions" ... you might be able to Up Vote the one which seems to match your issue...

https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro?query=open%20captions

You mentioned several issues/suggestions where this post is focused on the visibility issue... if you submit a report of each you might want to consider breaking them down into separate reports/suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 27, 2018 Jun 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ashley7  wrote

kre57   wrote

...Is Adobe planning to address this at all?

Make sure you report any issues, or make any suggestions, at the site designated for both types of reports...

Premiere Pro: Hot (1564 ideas) – Adobe video & audio apps

You might want to start by searching for "open captions" to see other existing reports/suggestions. The following link is an example of searching for "open captions" ... you might be able to Up Vote the one which seems to match your issue...

https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro?query=open%20captions

You mentioned several issues/suggestions where this post is focused on the visibility issue... if you submit a report of each you might want to consider breaking them down into separate reports/suggestions.

Thanks for the 411 Ashley but this is an OLD issue. The Media Encoder problem occurs across several versions (as far back as 2015.4 from what I can tell) so should have been addressed by now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 18, 2018 Apr 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked for me also. The new nested sequence even stayed after being rendered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 16, 2018 Jul 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI. GIVE ME AND ANSWER TO MAKE YOUR CAPTIONS WORK ON YOUR TERRIBLE SOFTWARE. I HAD TO UPGRADE TO GET THEM TO WORK IN THE FIRST PLACE AND NOW THEY'VE DISAPPEARED AS MY PRODUCER JUST SAT DOWN FOR A DEADLINE FOR TONIGHT!!!!!!! ANSWER THE QUESTIONS PLEASE. THERE ARE A LOT OF PEOPLE HAVING THIS ISSUE AND IT'S BULLSHIT NO ONE IS ANSWERING THEM OR TELLING THEM IT IS THEIR FRAME RATE. WE ARE NOT IDIOTS.

Moderator warning: Do not use profanity on these forums, it is against our community guidelines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 16, 2018 Jul 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try rendering "software only"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 17, 2022 Jun 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

hello  captions not visible after exporting

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 13, 2017 Dec 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am still having this same problem using 17.1.2 on an OS 10.12.6 iMac. The titles do not appear in the program monitor after exporting.  Only work around seems to be quitting Premiere and opening it again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 27, 2017 Apr 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So here's what worked for me using PP and ME 2017.0.2. I used .srt files, nested them in the timeline, then when encoding in ME, I went to the captions tab and selected "Burn Captions Into Video" from the dropdown menu.

Screen Shot 2017-04-27 at 10.17.01 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 24, 2017 May 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

kre57​ I haven't tried captioning lately on the newer versions, but when I was trying to export I was selecting the "burn in" option and it seemed to only work 25% of the time. I tried different things like clearing rendered files, exporting immediately after open, adding to queue vs direct export, and nothing seemed to be a trigger.

At the moment I'm using different software to caption, so that's my solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 24, 2017 May 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

S.Lavi, Did you nest the caption clips before you rendered?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 25, 2017 May 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

kre57​ yes. Didn't seem to make a difference, and the captions still moved around and everything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 25, 2017 May 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - What software are you using for captioning? After my last experience with the Premiere tool I am looking for a good alternative. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 27, 2019 Jun 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, having the same issues as everyone above, my captions simply disappeared upon export so I had to redo everything manually using the title tool. Was considering looking into After Effects as an alternative, but have you found better software to solve the problem till Premiere sorts this out? Would love to hear more...

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 11, 2018 Jun 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had the same issue.

Nesting the subs worked for me too... Not a clue why.

I'm on windows 10, PPCC2018 v.12.

Apparently, the issue is unrelated to the audio frequency, I'm working with 48kHz.

Edit: Sorry, spoke too soon. As many also have reported, "Export" works but "Queue" doesn't so the issue might be inside AME. I have a batch of 50 to export now, I feel pretty F'd.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2020 Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked for my project. Thank you so much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2017 May 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nesting the captions and then render the captions within the nested sequence "render in to out" did it for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2017 Nov 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Works for me also.

Or...

Export direct from Premiere.

T

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 03, 2017 May 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Adobe. It's time to check in....

... this i a disaster, for us, having customers ordered this product, but now we can't deliver. What is the solution for this????this is really NOT good enough. After hours of trying and cruising forums, i found this. The nesting ALSO worked for me, but this is really, really unacceptable! Remember to render the NEST and of course the sequence.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 04, 2017 May 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried to restart Premiere Pro, it works. After restart, the caption came back visible and seems normal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 08, 2017 May 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Click on the wrench icon in the lower right of the Program Monitor, then select Enable Captions.

Greg Jones

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 08, 2017 May 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Greg,

Captions was enabled at the first place.

The problem is, after I sent my project to render and came back continue my work in Premiere Pro, all the captions were invisible until I restarted the Premiere Pro and reopen my project file.

Hope Adobe can fix the bug soon.

Anthony

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 14, 2018 Aug 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, that did it for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 10, 2017 May 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have the same problem as Anthony03238. This requires an URGENT fix. We always use the latest version of MAC Premiere Pro on MAC OS 10.10.5. We have been struggling with this issue for sometime now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 12, 2017 May 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having similar ongoing problems with this tool. This is just unacceptable in what is supposed to be a professional platform. Problems include:

1. Captions moving around: I've placed them where I want them using the grid selector when I enter the captions. After saving and reopening, the grid position selected spontaneously changes on several clips.

2. Combo captions being inserted between my captions into 1 or 2 frame spaces. For eg, if I have a caption AAA, followed by caption BBB, with a 2 frame gap between them, the caption tool will write caption AAABBB and insert it in the space.

3. Open captions not rendering when sequence is exported.

4. Open captions disappearing in PP and only reappearing after restarting the software.

5. Onscreen caption reading 'type caption here' even when I can see my caption in the caption editor and timeline.

Also ... why can't we change font and font size globally for all captions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 13, 2017 May 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Same problem here. Exactly what you all describe. Captions disappear, move, sometimes "Type caption text here" appears instead of the text, not rendering, etc.

I'm working on the latest version of Premiere and win 10 pro.

Nesting doesn't help, render in to out neither...

Any solution? Please help... this is urgent.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines