• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Open captions not visible after rendering (Premiere Pro 14.9 and earlier)

Community Beginner ,
Jan 24, 2017 Jan 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I'm new to the Captions option in Premier Pro. I have 4 caption clips on the timeline with multiple captions in them. I can see the captions in the program monitor and also see the style changes I made to the text. But when I render the footage on the timeline, the captions disappear. What could the issue be?

Thanks!

TOPICS
Export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Aug 09, 2019 Aug 09, 2019

An update solved this particular issue for a majority of our users. If you have similar issues with captions, kindly create a new post and do not create an additional post here. That would help us triage only existing issues, not ones that have been addressed.

Thank You,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 108 Replies 108
Enthusiast ,
Aug 01, 2017 Aug 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had issues with Open Captions, where they either stopped working while editing/previewing, or my exported video did not contained the burned in Open Captions. My workaround has been to export the captioned sequences (in my project there were only a handful of sequences using Open Captions) to an intermediate format such as Cineform or DNxHD (I used Cineform), import the Cineform export into the project and either replace the sequence with the footage, or place it on a top-most track of the sequence. This way I didn't have to worry about Open Captions intermittently not working. Also, forgive of this sounds silly, but don't forget to select any necessary caption options on export.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 22, 2017 Sep 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found that it was if I tried to export with youtube 720p settings when my project (and captions) were set to 1080p, I don't yet know if it's a fix but I match source export and then will ingest and export for 720p.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 02, 2017 Oct 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here!

Solution was set IN - OUT for sequence. That helped for me.

2017.1.2 Release

And if that said. I found another glitch in Captions (hope Adobe will check this out)

I have my Timeline set for 10:00:00:00 (as timecode start) Captions won't see that, because captions by default start from 00:00:00:00

I think captions need to be not as video layer in timeline, but "special" captions layer or graphic layer in timeline. I think Adobe engineers will need to rethink it. So that captions will be hard linked to timecode starts. By the way this solution "I think is great" special layer for special needs. Because video is for video and adopting it for something else is not a great idea. I mean - adopting are not always the right way to do things.(Thanks Good audio layers are for audio only)

Screen Shot.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2017 Oct 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am experiencing all of the above problems when trying to render projects with captions using Adobe Media Encoder. The simple work-around is to just render directly from within Premier. At the bottom of the Export Settings window click on Export instead of Queue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 02, 2017 Nov 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Grrrr...
Issue about not rendering open captions still not solved in PP 2018!

https://vimeo.com/240961992/ff6832809f

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 05, 2017 Nov 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm surprised that Adobe releases new versions wich has the same issues. That's fantastic!

Adobe need to rethink its core in Premiere. It needs to be rewritten from scratch...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 03, 2017 Nov 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having similar issues. I just tried to export with premier and at first saw the open captions in the preview, then I que'd it up to media encoder because I have two videos to export. The captions disappeared. I guess I'll see if I can export one at a time. But this is a fairly big issue among many of the bugs that are associated with adobe. I think there are a lot of great things adobe has done and implemented but now the programs are just getting bloated without having them finalized. Let's get the bugs out and then maybe think about adding more features to the programs. Running cc2018 on latest Sierra OS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 02, 2017 Dec 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. Either direct export from PP or queuing to Media Encoder: same result, the open captions are not visible in the exported videofile and after the (render) export they also remain invisible in my timeline. I tried many of the suggested workarounds, but to no avail. And actually it should just work, not "work around".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Dec 02, 2017 Dec 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not used Open Captions at all in the most recent version of Premiere, but if it's the same bug I did the same thing...

My post from earlier in this thread: Re: Open captions not visible after rendering (CC 2017)

... Like you I did direct export from Premiere, but I had a large project and got to a strategy that I generally use now with my of my projects... that is to submaster sequences that are largely frozen (i.e., not changing any longer) and import the submaster and place it onto the top track of the same sequence (the exported intermediate such as DNxHD becomes part of the sequence that created it), disabling the original tracks which will be there if you need to re-export a submaster for a change. I do this for relatively long or "export performance intensive" sequences so I can avoid having to take that time hit on future exports... if it's a section that does not require any more editing, why continue to re-export the original and take the time hit?

This allowed me to export sequences with Open Captions directly from Premiere using DNxHD and place the exported media into the sequence... so the captions were there and I didn't need to worry about this bug unless re-exporting the submaster.

See https://forums.adobe.com/people/Meg+The+Dog​'s post where she explains it:

Re: Render-and-replace entire sequence?

This doesn't fix the bug but essentially I consider the ability to effectively use an NLE (with its size/complexity) to require understand all sorts of tricks/tips one needs to employ to get past tough situations or parts of a sequence. I think these products are too complex to be flawless 100% of the time ... some bugs just don't get the priority that others might, or the same symptom can crop up for different programmatic reasons (i.e., appears the same but caused by different software issues).

The point being... if you have a problem, report the bug of course, but then go to find an effective workaround... exporting from Pr is not perfect, but I think freezing parts of a project w/submasters that are already exported can make that a less painful workaround.

Also, try to report each bug you see... with the best symptoms and steps you can... it's essential to visibility... it seems Adobe sometimes scours the forum but there's no rule of what bugs they'll see or not... use the official bug report form: Feature Request/Bug Report Form

I know this post doesn't solve the bug but the submaster export thingy really made this bug a non-issue for me... I just froze sections I was done with... just wanted to pass it on fwiw. Best of luck folks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 05, 2017 Dec 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe, this is really a very stupid and annoying problem! Please react!

Temporary solution: import your subtitles in after effects, render with alpha and use that in your project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 27, 2018 Jun 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually since CC 2018 for me this problem has been fixed. SRT import works fine and creates a PP open caption. Exporting directly or by queue with Media Encoder using the burn-in option also works fine and no nasty consequences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

patrickm11361289  wrote

Actually since CC 2018 for me this problem has been fixed. SRT import works fine and creates a PP open caption. Exporting directly or by queue with Media Encoder using the burn-in option also works fine and no nasty consequences.

and for clarity, I only saw this last year on prior versions... have not used OC since then so can't personally speak on CC 2018. Thanks for your clarification.

kre57​, what version are you on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CC 2017 11.0. Learned the hard way not to upgrade too soon after a release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 05, 2017 Dec 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I've found a solution! I've tried 44kHz and Nested Clip. These are not an issue. Using Media Encoder is!!! Try to export straight out of Premiere using Export (not Queue). Worked for me. By the way, it doesn't matter that you don't see captions on sequence anymore. Premiere still sees it. And renders pretty well. Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2017 Dec 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I have just finished doing PP open captions and I've had the problem where it duplicates and inserts the previous caption for a frame before the next caption. I remove it and then it does it somewhere else further down the sequence. It's random and feels like a bug?

Also, I've experienced massive problems with caption re-edits not being saved. I know I've changed them and saved the project but when I go back in, the changes aren't there. I've gone into the auotsave PP projects to check if they're saved correctly but they are not. Some of the changes, I've made three or four times. Is this another bug in the PP caption software?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 21, 2018 Mar 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the problem where the captions would disappear in the preview after rendering. Rendering just the first caption (setting in point to the beginning of the video and out point to just after the first caption ends and then hitting Enter) seems to fix this for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 30, 2018 Mar 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It has been over a year since the original post about this issue (on this thread)... and still I have to mess around with this freaking issue. Adobe needs to get their shit together and fix crucial issues like this, we can't bill time spent time trying to find work arounds for software we pay good money for.

So as of March 30th 2018, Captioning still disappears after rendering and will not render out in ME.. restarting premiere for the.. frig who knows.

thanks for the guys on here that have taken time to try and figure it out and help us. I've got it to work rendering from premiere. Jacks up my Vimeo review work flow a bit but at least its working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 04, 2018 Jun 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wanted captions to be burned into my exports.  I exported directly from Premiere and selected "Burn Captions into Video" under the captions tab.  That seemed to work for me.  Hope that helps someone else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try exporting directly through PP. Don't use Media Encoder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 11, 2018 Jul 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using CC 2018 12.1.1  which is the current version and still having captioning issues.  Very frustrating that this has not been addressed.  I created open captions in PP, and it does not matter if I use Media Encoder or PP to render, captions are not visible in final render either H264 or QT with "burn open captions" selected.

OS 10.11.6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 03, 2018 Aug 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having this same issue too. Nesting the captions actually didn't work for me like it did for some, but what did was going back to where the captions appear in the project folder and dragging them back onto my timeline. I deleted the not working captions that were on the timeline and the recently added ones worked just fine. It seems like for some reason they just got buggy after sitting on my timeline for a while. Not sure why. For reference I'm using Premiere Pro CC 2017.1.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 03, 2018 Sep 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all. I know this won't solve the issue for most of you, but I post it in case it does for some. It once happened to me that some captions had disappeared while others were still visible. The reason was merely that we had inadvertently changed the motion attributes (position) in the effects tab of the source panel, so the missing subtitles were now below the image's bottom line. We tried the roptions before realizing that, so perhaps in some cases simply resetting the captions' position will do the trick.

Captura de pantalla 2018-09-03 a la(s) 12.32.48.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2018 Sep 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had trouble with sequences before (e.g. audio not playing after going from headphones to desktop) and my usual solution is to copy to a new sequence. That worked for me here fwiw. I did nest both the OC and video layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2018 Nov 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have figured it out! Do everything you have been doing:

1. Create open captions

2. Make sure enable captions is checked

3. Make sure the frame rates are the same as the video

4. Export movie...

Here is where it changes. Instead of queuing to media encoder, export. Be sure you have "burn captions into video" selected.

this actually works!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 07, 2018 Nov 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition to exporting directly from PR, you can set the AME preference to "import sequences natively." This will not work if you have dynamic linked After Effects elements in the sequence. Known issue.

The "enable" captions (in the program monitor options) is only needed for Closed Captions. It doesn't hurt Open Captions, but they should show in the timeline and be burned in as long as set in the Captions tab in the export dialogue..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines