• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Open captions not visible after rendering (Premiere Pro 14.9 and earlier)

Community Beginner ,
Jan 24, 2017 Jan 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I'm new to the Captions option in Premier Pro. I have 4 caption clips on the timeline with multiple captions in them. I can see the captions in the program monitor and also see the style changes I made to the text. But when I render the footage on the timeline, the captions disappear. What could the issue be?

Thanks!

TOPICS
Export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Aug 09, 2019 Aug 09, 2019

An update solved this particular issue for a majority of our users. If you have similar issues with captions, kindly create a new post and do not create an additional post here. That would help us triage only existing issues, not ones that have been addressed.

Thank You,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 108 Replies 108
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And I now see that some of the captions disappear from the clips...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to make sure - you definitely selected Open Captions from the New Captions dialog box and not Closed Captions? And did you double check the Captions tab in the Export Settings box?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I have selected Open Captions. I have not exported the video yet, but tried to render a preview. I can see them when the clips in the timeline are unrendered. But the captions disappear after I render the sequence.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using CC 2015? There were some display issue bugs that should have been resolved in CC 2017. Just another thought I recalled!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 25, 2017 Jan 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No I'm using the latest update of CC 2017.

I found that when I render the sequence, the captions disappear. But when I export the video, they're still in the exported file. So that should be the issue here.

Also, some of the letters render very poorly. Some of the outlines get weird artefacts, like the W. So I'm going back to Belle Nuit for now.

I really hope Adobe reads this and makes an effort to fix these issue, because the feature is pretty great. It just need to work better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the way, this is also pretty strange: in the export window the Captions tab shows different timecode from the sequence's timecode...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And also... Is there a place, forum thread, email adres of something where requests for improvement can me sent to?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 17, 2017 Feb 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi steffp85,

Were you able to get around this issue or do you still need help?

Thanks,

Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 17, 2017 Feb 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rameez,

No not yet, unfortunately. I did update Premiere Pro a couple of days ago. That might solve the problem, but I haven't tried it yet. Do you know more about this issue?

Thanks,

Stef

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 20, 2017 Feb 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stef,

There were some bug fixes for Titles and Captions in the latest 11.0.2 update.

However, your issue seems to be different. Let us know if you still have the problem so that we can troubleshoot it or log a bug for it.

Best,

Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 07, 2017 Mar 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue with the latest version of Premiere on Mac

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 07, 2017 Mar 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ridge_road11,

Which OS are you on?

I assume your issue is that Open Captions disappear after rendering, is that correct?

Which GPU is installed in your machine?

Best,

Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2017 Mar 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issues,

I have the latest version of Premiere Pro running on macOS 10.12 with the specifications as shown below, but the open captions will not render in the exported file. I am kind of new to the application, and I assumed it would all work properly. But now it doesn't work and I have my deadline tomorrow, so I hope that you can help me as soon as possible.

Kind regards,

Sam

Screen Shot 2017-03-13 at 11.58.54.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2017 Mar 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to adjust the export audio sample rate to 44100 Hz (someone advised it), but that alone did not work. Then, I nested the captions layer, and that worked! I don't know if the audio still has something to do with it, but nesting the captions seemed to work for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 14, 2017 Mar 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That sounds like a good solution! I would't know why the audio sample rate affects video here, but this is definitely worth trying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 14, 2017 Mar 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing your solution, samv!

I'll try to recreate the issue on my machine and share my results.

Thanks,

Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 28, 2017 Mar 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue (latest CC2017, Windows 7) and not able to get the captions to export either. Nesting doesn't help either.

At first I was able to see the captions in the preview before exporting, but now it doesn't show at all. Also, after exporting the caption file seems to "bug out" and won't display in the timeline either. The file shows with all the markers, but when scrubbing or playing the timeline there is a "type your captions here" caption appearing at the start in the program window and then nothing only reopening the file helps get out of that. Very weird.

Is there a way to convert the open captions to closed captions? At least so I can save the timings out of the caption file and not have to resync everything from scratch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 24, 2017 Jul 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ran into this exact same issue. When the captions started disappearing in Premiere itself quitting and restarting the app seemed to help. Once I was able to get it to work properly in Premiere, nesting the captions and then also still selecting the captions to be burned in through the Media Encoder window.

This seems to be doing it for me.

(Update: The next day when I needed to make a coupe of edits to the captions, everything mentioned above stopped working. After A LOT of testing back and forth I finally found that the issue only seems to be happening in the handoff between Premiere and Media Encoder. Even if I quit and reboot Premiere, nest the updated captions, queue an export to Media Encoder and then make sure to select for captions to be burned in. The caption shows up in the export preview window in Premiere, but then as soon as I queue it to M.E. I open up the export settings again, and at this point, the captions are not in the preview window, nor the export.

Solution: Export directly in Premiere. This finally worked. At least for now. Come on Adobe, please work on the communication between Premiere and Media Encoder here).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 26, 2017 Jul 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issues, although I have not tried exporting straight from Premier Pro without using ME.

I have Open Captions that are present in Preview, in Premier, I have selected Burn into Video at Export but rendered export does not contain or show the Captions, very frustrating!

Please fix adobe or advise of a rock-solid work-around, thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 26, 2017 Jul 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is exactly what was happening to me, and yes, I bet it will work if you export directly in Premiere and bypass ME completely.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2017 Mar 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rameez, I'm having the exact same problem as S.Lavi but on a Mac:

• I've created open captions, which do not show up when I export - even though I have clicked the captions tab in the export settings
  • And once I have tried exporting them once, the captions layer does not show in the program panel, even though it's in the timeline; it just says "Type caption text here" at the very beginning of the layer.

I'm using 2017.02 with OSX 10.11.6 NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M.

Any luck figuring out the bug?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 17, 2017 Apr 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a similar problem on a recent project (Like this week recent)  I found that have Adobe After Effects in the background was causing some disturbance.  I saved the Pr project and reopened the Pr project without Ae on in the background and the open captions appeared just fine in the export viewer.

Might be worth looking into.

All the Best

Kyle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 27, 2018 Jun 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been quite some time since this issue was reported and still no resolution. I am currently adding open captions to over 100 videos for use in in-store monitors. In addition to glitches like random red stroke around text, program monitor displaying default text settings rather than what has been selected (I have to close the project and open again to fix), inability to save custom text preferences as default or template and most importantly, the ability to export using Media Encoder is making this task much more time consuming (and frustrating) than it should. Is Adobe planning to address this at all?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines