Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Optical flow optimisation

New Here ,
Apr 24, 2024 Apr 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if someone have any knowledge about improvements with optical flow in premiere pro, as I was thinking to buy topaz video AI to slow down my 25 fps footage, but of course I don't want to spend $299 to slow down a footage. My only other choice is optical flow in premier, but in the past I've been having weird issues with it.

TOPICS
Editing , Experiment

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

25 fps is not ideal to slow down regardless of Optical flow.

Results also depend on the amount of movement in the shot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello Francesco etc.,

I believe optical flow was introducted to Premiere Pro circa 2015. To my knowledge it has not been developed / improved since and given this history (10 years of stasis) I would not expect Adobe to develop it further.

The quality of the effect depends to a great extent on the source footage and a number of factors, but there will be artefacting regardless. There is this from the documentation:

"Optical Flow interpolation is ideal for modifying the speed of clips that contain objects with no motion blur, which are moving in front of a mostly static background that highly contrasts with the object in motion."

One thing you can try is doing your slowdown in stages (ie. from 100% to 80%, render and export, then again, repeat and so on). This may improve results, but again, depending on the original footage there will be artefacting in your results.

R.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines