Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pancake editing - Copying a clip to same timecode between sequences

New Here ,
Oct 22, 2022 Oct 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

im just beginning with pancake editing. I wanted to know if there's a simple way to drag and drop a clip from one sequence to another while ensuring it copies to the new sequence, in the same timecode position as the original sequence. 

thanks a ton. 

Clinton. 

TOPICS
Editing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 22, 2022 Oct 22, 2022

There is not one specifically for that - although it would be nice at times - but what you can do is type the timecode you want the clip to jump to while it's selected and it will jump to that. (This would also be kind of an alternative to your copy and paste situation, though it's still not the automated method you were hoping for.)

Timecode commands must be typed with the Numpad to use them automatically, otherwise you'd have to select the timecode box to type into that. Examples of things y

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Um ... I can't think of how to do that automated.

And I'm puzzled about the use. When I pancake, it's 'cause I'm grabbing bits of a long cut or sequence to quckly add to another one ... and there's no commonality between the sequences. So why would I want the clip from A at the same timeline timecode when dropped on B?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply Neil. 

so what I want to use this for is.

I have a music video that I'm shooting which was shot in sections and with multiple takes which I've synced to the audio song in my selects sequence. 
So basically I have twelve video tracks which are all synced to the same one audio track. 
Now in my final edit, I'd like to select chunks of video from different takes and drop them into my new sequence at the same time code so that I don't have to worry about lip sync and the chunks that I select retain their position relative to the audio track which I will also be copying into the new sequence at the same timecode.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also a little confused about the need to match the timecode between the two, but I probably just don't understand the context. I mostly use pancake editing to add BROLL into my primary sequence, although you could use it for anything, but in most cases I can think of its one different timeline full of material going into a totally different one, so the timecodes would not be related.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Add the timecode to the sequence, playhead will jump to that position. Now you can drag to the playhead

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right. I was wondering if there's an easier way to do it without actually physically copying and pasting the timecode location from one sequence to another. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not that I can think of.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, is there a shortcut key to move the start of a clip to the playhead position ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is not one specifically for that - although it would be nice at times - but what you can do is type the timecode you want the clip to jump to while it's selected and it will jump to that. (This would also be kind of an alternative to your copy and paste situation, though it's still not the automated method you were hoping for.)

Timecode commands must be typed with the Numpad to use them automatically, otherwise you'd have to select the timecode box to type into that. Examples of things you can do with timecode on the numpad for precision editing (shown in gif):

• Move a selected clip to a specific timecode, (like moving this clip to 15:00)
  • Use the +/- keys and a timecode on a selected clip to change it's location in the timeline based on timecode, (like moving the selected clip 5 seconds backwards)
  • Use the +/- keys and a timecode while selected on an edit point to adjust it by timecode, (like moving the head 2 seconds forwards)

Timecode Commands.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Phillip,

this is very helpful. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines