• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pancake workflow - how to avoid duplicate frames in main timeline before dragging clips?

Contributor ,
Jul 27, 2019 Jul 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When using the pancake timelines I set in and out points on the "selects" timeline and drag to the "rough cut" timeline.

There's no chance to remember which parts have been already pulled down.

Only after I drag a new part I may see the color bar showing duplicate frames in the "rough cut" timeline, if indeed there were such.

How would you suggest to deal with it?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was just going to recommend enabling "Highlight Duplicate Frames", but what you're describing is the same method I use. If you go through your selects timeline from start to finish, then you won't have too many overlaps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Justin,

That may work when the selects build a story from scratch.

However in my case the "rough cut" timeline is the A roll story and it is already built.

The "selects" timeline is in fact the B roll.

I pick "selects" segments from different parts of that timeline to fit the story on the "rough cut" timeline so it is not sequential.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You won't do this because

A) it takes forever

B) you don't need to

But it might give you an idea.

Sc16-17-MyEdit on Vimeo

3 cameras on process trailer, many takes ( with slates)

3 cameras on roof handheld, same deal.

If I remember right, I put all CAM A on a level, all CAM B on one, and C …  leaving video levels free below and above them.  V1 and V2 blank ( V2 would become the rough cut and V1 blank for future corrections manual cross dissolves or whatever...)

I did NOT use source monitor for anything. I scrubbed through the stuff to get idea of cut and threw out the total junk.

Then, as I used stuff I would make an actual cut ( not in out points) and copy paste that portion below the current camera level, and THEN copy paste it to my roughcut too.

That way I had a visual quick reference to all the clip portions USED from all the cameras.

maybe you can do something similar with moving used stuff to a blank video level directly below or above the source using shift key with drag and then put it into your roughcut ?

good luck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rodney,

If I understood correctly, the CAM A, CAM B , CAM C clips on those upper tracks were blocking the rough cut track on V2 (unless you toggled track output on and off during the process(?).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gotcha, well one thing that can help save some of the time is setting up a macro for copying/pasting from one timeline to the other like AutoHotKey for Windows or Keyboard Maestro for Mac. I have one of these set up so copying an in/out region from one timeline to the other is just one shortcut, not 3 or 4.

My macro does this after I manually set an in/out point in the selects timeline:

- ";"              (lift clip)

- "Ctrl + Z"   (put clip back)

- "Shift + 3"  (switch timeline)

- "Ctrl + V"   (paste clip in edit timeline)
- "Shift + 3"  (switch back to selects timeline)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The macro option will surely save time.

Yet I'll have to lift and paste and only then see if I have duplicated frame(s).

Well what I've just thought is that I could lift without putting the clip back, so there is a "hole" left and thus I'll not pick that portion again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For sure, whatever system works best for you. If you want to leave a hole, just remove the "Ctrl/Cmd + Z" step in the macro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yair, yes... lots of toggling tracks on and off and activating for paste stuff... took forever, but was very exact.

also,, honestly, compared to doing things with plastic film it is really FAST.   hehe...

Oddly, the faster things get the more faster we want MORE fast stuff... but I find that by taking some time to think through things I personally do a better job.  For example, the cameras on roof were seeing crew members and other cameras so often I HAD to make cuts I didn't want to make. People can't really tell how an edit is ( whether it's good ) unless they also know what the sources were. Sometimes you cut when you don't want to.

So I devised the black and white thing ( making it look like cheap video camera) and did STATIC ( as if video camera was switched on and off randomly). That took care of the forced cuts .. made it look OK. The broadcast of that thing totally dumped the rooftop scene, I think due to this screwup of seeing so many cameras and crew members...  But taking the time the brainstorm of doing it my way came to me.

So, sometimes FASTER is not better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that's a great idea.. the hole idea.. but it doesn't allow you to see what used to be in the hole ...and it may not match where in the timeline your use of it is ( won't be directly below it ). But I hope no matter what you figure out it works well and helps you make a cool movie !

good luck !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't copy the select from the source timeline, cut it instead and paste it into the master timeline. This will remove it from the source timeline and effectively makes that material unavailable as an option for use once you've used it.

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Meg's suggestion sounds best so far for your situation. In mine, there were multiple cameras and takes... so let's say I did a roughcut and then realized (scrubbing later on to get sense of pace etc.) I discover that a cut I used had a bright background outside car window one second, and then turned really dark on my cut 1 second later, which looked really stupid.  So now I have to hunt through that stuff to see what I can do to save it.... and having my system of visual reminder of what was used helped me figure out how to fix it ...using the slate ID ( take numbers) and all that jazz...

hehe.. anyway, now you have lots of options

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines