• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Playback is SLOW, LAGGING, and FRUSTRATING to work with

Community Beginner ,
Jan 31, 2019 Jan 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel like i've tried everything. It's unbearable to edit videos in premiere anymore because the playback is just so choppy and impossible to view a solid clip from start to finish without it breaking down and skipping/being choppy. I know this is a problem with premiere because my clips play just fine outside of premiere. I used to be able to glide through my edits, now I cant.

My system specs are:

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015

Processor: 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory: 32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3 (Just upgraded from 8GB hoping it would fix the problem)

Startup Disk: Macintosh HD

Graphics: AMD Radeon R9 M390 2048MB

I've cleared my cache, have plenty of space on all my drives and have followed tips and tricks of online forums. Please help

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What Mac OS?

What version of Premiere Pro?

What are the properties of the source files?

What is your renderer set to? (File > Project Settings > General)

What are your sequence settings? (please post a screen shot of the panel at Sequence > Sequence Settings)

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OS 10.14.3 (the latest)

Premiere Version: 13.0.2 (the latest)

Rendering is optimized for "perfomance"

I always set my sequence settings to the source clip frame rate and size which a majority of the time is 4K 23.976

Sequence settings.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2020 Jun 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Why should we have to jump thru all these hoops just to use our expensive machines with your expensive software?! I shelled out thousands for this stuff, for your software to run like it's on a computer from 1982. Get it together Adobe, I'm sick of you guys burning our money giving us subpar, WEAK products.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a bit far out, but do you have the legacy titler open? And, is the "show background video" icon blue? If so, turn that off. Laggy lag lag lag.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Titler is not open,

Where would I find the show background video icon? Do you mind taking a screenshot? or is this something that only matters if I have titler open?

-AK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

only matters if it's open.

Are you playing at 1/2 or 1/4 resolution? Maybe you should be. It's this thing on the bottom right of your program and source monitors.

What resolution, and type of video files are you working with?

Do you still get severe lag when just playing something as simple as a GIF?

Try things to see exactly when the lag begins to occur.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AndrewK,

Updated project or brand new CC2019 project?

How fast are your media drives? You didn't mention your media drives at all. You have those right?

Tried transcoding or creating proxies?

Disconnect any superfluous hardware, like mics?

Repaired Adobe folder permissions?

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It’s happening on all projects, updated and new.

The main media drive I have my media on and edit off of is a g-raid studio drive formatted at raid 0. Its a tbunderboldt connection with plenty of room on the drive. I keep

my media cache on another drive. I also make constant backups of my raid drive every hour to another drive.

Again, this has gradually become a problem, ive been editing with this same method and tools for years without any issues. In the past few months it’s become really bad. I thought that I needed to upgrade my memory since the software is constantly evolving and I need to upgrade my hardware but a 32gb memory upgrade did nothing. 

Now your last point about the permissions is interesting. I’ve been having a lot of crashes during starting up so that is something I will definitely check when I am in the office tomorrow.

Appreciate the tips.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 01, 2019 Feb 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's possible that you've installed something, presumably unrelated, that is slowing down Premiere.

There's some .DLL of Word or something can can cause major issues.

and installing codec packs? big no-no.

But it could be a million different things, and combinations and permutations of those things. Effectively impossible to diagnose.

But the catch-all solution, which i think really will solve your problem:

Reformat your main drive. Seriously.

First, back everything up of course, except for your Premiere preferences.

Or, better yet, just get a new SSD, (you're running off an SSD, not a hard drive, riiiiiight?) and install everything anew. Then you can always grab stuff from the old drive that you might have forgotten about.

I do this once a year. It's a real PITA - takes basically a whole workday of time to do. But it's so worth it. Clears out all the cobwebs and other crap.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 04, 2019 Feb 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, definitely check out RW permissions on anything Premiere touches and get back to us. Another no no is Perian on Mac. That seems to wreak havoc in some cases. Is that one installed on your rig?

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 01, 2019 Feb 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't specify what media you're working with.  Most folks are using some flavor of H.264 or H.265.  For that media, and regardless of computer specs, I recommend using Cineform proxies.

Work offline using proxy media |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines