• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Poor performance: Premiere Pro CC 2019 13.0 (Mac)

Explorer ,
Oct 19, 2018 Oct 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two of my systems are the latest Mac Pro (3.0GHz 8-Core. 64GB of RAM. 2 AMD FirePro D700s with 6GB of GDDR5 VRAM). Another system has 128GB of RAM and the Titan Xp with 12GB of GPU VRAM. All of my GPUs support Apple Metal GPU acceleration.

The slowest system I have is my laptop and if the issue was only with my laptop, the lack of 4GB of GPU VRAM might be the issue, but it's a problem on all the system I own.

As far as I can see, the issue I'm experiencing is not related to the hardware, as they all meet or exceed the system requirements.

TOPICS
Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2018 Dec 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, yes. I shifted some files and reformatted my little speedy SSD to MAC format. Now it plays ProRes, and it plays ProResHQ HD in FullQuality with a lumetri on it.

On my old imac with a ´Mojave unsupported #pleasecontactNvidia# graphics card´, btw.

Greetings to Wes Howell. By reading about the issue, the precise description of the original post and the obvious experience of the author, it should have been clear that a standard answer is not enough.

and: thanks again to the nerds who researched until they found out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2018 Dec 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having this same exact issue. Running ProRes footage off of an Ex-Fat drive = huge render times. Transfer footage to non-Ex-Fat drive = normal render times.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 14, 2018 Dec 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the continued info and feedback on this everyone.  Adobe engineering is investigating this issue to determine the root cause.

I will provide updates as they come available.

Wes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 06, 2019 Feb 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got some news about the issue? Literally daily checking for any updates

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm somewhat disappointed in Adobe as over this, to be honest. Total lack of acknowledging a fault. Every PP/OSX user I have worked with so far this year has the same problem, several didn't think to check and just thought it was their fault...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

Adobe has been working on this issue internally. I am unable to promise a specific date for a fix but I can assure you that this is high on our radar and we are working to get a fix into your hands asap.

I will update this thread as more info comes available.

Wes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 22, 2019 Feb 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi,

PP has just been updated to 13.0.3

does the update fix the issues? thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 25, 2019 Feb 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does not look like version 13.0.3 fixes this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2019 Feb 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any updates????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2019 Mar 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its still buggy and crashing like hell.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2018 Dec 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue as those above. Recently updated from Premiere 2018 to 2019, and won't play back a ProRes file off an ExFAT SSD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2019 Feb 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ProRes from ExFAT drive still won't play in PPro 2019 here either, on an iMac Pro, Mojave 10.14 3GHz Intel Xeon with 64GB RAM - haha.

Bit annoying really, as the whole job now has to be moved to another drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 01, 2019 Mar 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm issue is still real and seriously horrible, even with the latest update 13.0.3 (working on mid-2018 Macbook Pro with Radeon Pro 560x)

I've had around 40 crashes over 2 days because of the prores files in a USB3.0 eXFAT HDD... Nightmares, pain as I couldn't figure it out & was going crazy.

Having an eXFAT SSD instead of a "mechanical" external eXFAT HDD helps :

- better playback speed (= editable) in Premiere, even with ProRes

- not crashing every 3min

I will have to try and format both the SSD and mechanical HDDs ASAP and will report, but given how well ProRes works on my APFS internal SSD, I'm pretty sure this is the issue. Really crazy this is so bad with Prores (H264 is also slower than usual). I recommend converting your ProRes files to DNXHD in the meantime (but not with AME or Adobe software, use something else).

Edit:

- I found another serious glitch I'm having since update 13.0.0 : When I export to H264 (using hardware encoding) in AME, my exports are sped up ! So my video is going around 1.5x and sound is going normally (1.0x) so it's completely out of sync and unusuable! Apparenty, glitch doesn't happen when using software encoding to export. Anyone else having this same issue ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 02, 2019 Mar 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info.

We are aware of the ExFAT issue and we are working on a solution for this.

13.0.3 was a patch that did not address this issue.

I will update this thread when more info is available.

Wes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2019 Mar 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this same as my issue with Mac OS High sierra reinstalled buggy Adobe premiere CC 2019 and it doesn't even open my finished film properly on timeline - gone from instant open and play to very slow dragging video files and no audio - takes like 15-20mins to load audio

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 08, 2019 Mar 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue, ProRes footage on an exFat formatted external SSD... the footage will play just fine in Premiere 2018 but switch over to 2019 and the clips won't even play/scrub at all, so completely unusable Replying to this thread to make sure I follow and hopefully receive any developments or solutions for this issue, as I also have to frequently jump between Win/Mac operating systems. Hope to see a fix/update soon!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 20, 2019 Mar 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CC 2019 doesn't work for anyone... don't even bother with it; and let this be a lesson to those of you dealing with this issue right now...

never, ever, ever let Adobe auto-update, and never, ever, ever update an Adobe product and expect it to work, your workflow will grind to a halt every single time guaranteed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 27, 2020 Mar 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

I'm really hoping someone on here can help. I've tried posting issues, chat room with Adobe, adobe calling up & ...giving up trying to fix the issue. 

I'm running the latest versions of Premiere Pro & After Effects on a brand new, top spec macbook pro (64 GB Ram, best graphics card, processor etc). I also still have my old 15" macbook pro from 2017. 

The 2017 is quicker on both programmes, although it got slower after recent updates. 

On the new machine, premiere pro is unbelievably slow in preview. Crashes about twice per session, sticky playback, even with 10 minutes of 720 footage (I tested - normally work with 4k, but that's a compete joke at the moment). 

After effects is very slow to preview on the new machine. Also the preview looks really jittery - almost like it's skipping frames (I have not set AE to skip frames). 

I've just finished a project using both AE & PP. Simple stuff, but it took at least twice as long to complete (honestly). Please, if anyone has had similar issues, can you let me know i'm not completely insane.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 16, 2020 Nov 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using a Macpro 2019, 16 Core, 96Gb Ram, 6TB SSD, Vega 7 and I am just annoyed by the fact Premiere is not using more than 30 - 40 % of the potential performance.

neither gpu nor cpu are really used.

Coming from a MacPro 2013 it does not feel like an upgrade. Tried the same project files in Davinci and I was amazed how smooth everything was. So the bottleneck must be th rotten codec of premiere. 
I don't want to start talking about working with mp4/h264 - it's a joke...

After 10 years using Premiere as my main tool I am thinking about switching in 2021.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! You are correct!  My guess is that since Adobe is king right now that they are to lazy to get rid of their very old code. Premiere is a turtle.  I wasn't thrilled with Resolve until their newest update - 17.  Although I've only been on Resolve 17 for a few days, it feels GREAT! Plays back 8k files like butter. Try it. The free version is wow.

I could give up Premiere in a heart beat, but how do you give up After Effects? Illustraotr? Photoshop? If you work in the real world of production - you just can't!  I copy someone's logo from Illustrator into (video-copilot's) Element and the clients are amazed. So they have us over a barrel.  They really have no competition. 

Even Cinema 4d will use ALL your cores!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No one stays on top forever and if your competition is cheaper, more reliable and faster...just look at german car brands...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines