• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PPro CS5 GUI on mac really jerky

Explorer ,
Mar 22, 2011 Mar 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving clips around on the timeline of CS5 on the mac is like playing Russian roullette; you never know where the clip is actually going to fall. It's like the interface has a refresh rate of 5fps or something. It seems to take forever for clips to snap against each other, and this lag causes the user to think something is wrong and then move the clips around more than necessary.

Please please tell me that this will be addressed in a point release. I don't want to have to pay to upgrade for a solution to a problem that should never have made it to a full release.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 257 Replies 257
Explorer ,
Sep 13, 2011 Sep 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Lars,

First off "skating to where the puck is going to be"! That's hysterical. You sir, are definitely a hockey fan.

I've installed the patch as well and there are some nice speed improvements. However the MPE with hardware acceleration is still broken with my Mac Quadro 4000. I'm running Lion which says that it natively runs the 64bit kernel. Any other ideas?

Best,

Dare

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to be sure - you have checked to see that you are booted in the 64-bit kernal?  About this Mac>More Info>System Report>Software> "64-bit Kernel and Extensions: Yes"

I don't know if Lion boots into 64-bit mode by default - I did it manually on my machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AWESOME!!!!! FIXED!!!!!!! YESSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Obviously Lion doesn't natively boot into 64 bit even though it says it does!

So we are ready to ROCK AND ROLL!!!!!!

Good job everyone!

To Todd Kopriva: Great job on the fixes!!! Trust me when I say that the end user really really really likes being listened to!!!

So:

1. Install Lion.

2. Manually set for 64 bit boot-up

3. Install Adobe Patch 5.5.1

4. Install After Effects Patch 10.5.1

5. Enjoy!!!

Best,

Dare

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you running a CUDA enabled card and can you use MPE with CUDA with 5.5.1?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running the NVIDA 4000 for mac, and MPE hardware acceleration is available and enabled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I'm trying to determine if the Lion upgrade is required for the 'jerky' fix or not or is just Premiere Pro 5.5.1 the fix?

I can't upgrade to Lion right now, I'm on 10.6.8 with a Mac Pro 3,1 and Nvidia 4000.

I guess I want to deterimine if I upgrade to 5.5.1 will it fix the laggy timeline issue or not?

If I wasn't right in the heat of a project I'd just upgrade and find out, but I'll wait if the laggy timeline isn't fixed with 5.5.1.

Thanks much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keith,

As far as I'm concerned, it's the Lion update that fixes the lag when dragging clips around.  I profiled the code - the timeline drawing operation is performing the same set of steps on Win & Mac - we draw into an offscreen buffer & blit the contents to the timeline.  On mac, the bulk of the time was being spent in the OS blit routine...

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So just to confirm, when I upgrade to Lion, as long as I'm in 64bit kernel mode at at 5.5.1 and whatever other CS 5.5 updates, should get functioning CUDA acceleration with my NVidia 4000?

Thanks much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, that's correct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what is working for me.

Best,

Dare

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using Lion since it was released and saw an improvement in Premiere Pro's performance straight away, I've always assumed it was due to the updated Nvidia driver that's included with Lion. This driver isn't actually available on Nvidia's website, or at least it wasn't the last time I looked.

When I installed I lost Hardware MPE support but updating to the latest CUDA driver fixed that. I installed 5.5.1 today and haven't actually noticed any difference in performance, but then as I said it's not been as noticeable since updating to Lion anyway.

Lion Driver Version: 270.05.05f01

Nvidia latest driver: 256.02.25f01

Paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Paul Joy (UK) wrote:

I've been using Lion since it was released and saw an improvement in Premiere Pro's performance straight away, I've always assumed it was due to the updated Nvidia driver that's included with Lion. This driver isn't actually available on Nvidia's website, or at least it wasn't the last time I looked.

Based on what the nVidia users were saying in this thread initially Paul, I was right there with you.  That was until wok77 with an ATI video card noted he was seeing the same laggy problems.  If I followed his posts correctly, he never updated to Lion, but did update PPro to CS5.5.1 and his lag went away.

Things that make you go, "Hmm..."

jas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Based on what the nVidia users were saying in this thread initially Paul, I was right there with you.  That was until wok77 with an ATI video card noted he was seeing the same laggy problems.  If I followed his posts correctly, he never updated to Lion, but did update PPro to CS5.5.1 and his lag went away.

Things that make you go, "Hmm..."

jas

Just to clear any misunderstandings.

The lagging was never there in CS 5.

I experienced lagging when I installed CS 5.5 on OS-X 10.6 with the ATI card.

Later when I upgraded the system with the nVidia card - the lagging was still there.

The 5.5.1 update improved the preformance in my system - currently OS-X 10.6 with nVidia card.

On a different note - I'm very reluctant to upgrade to Lion because I'm concerned some of my plugins won't work or worse - crash my system.

- Lars (wok77)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wok77 wrote:

- currently OS-X 10.6 with nVidia card.

On a different note - I'm very reluctant to upgrade to Lion because I'm concerned some of my plugins won't work or worse - crash my system.

- Lars (wok77)

What version of 10.6 are you running? My "fix" didn't work with 10.6.7.  Great to hear your having performance improvements!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LFedit wrote:

What version of 10.6 are you running? My "fix" didn't work with 10.6.7.  Great to hear your having performance improvements!

OS-X 10.6.7 (!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks wok77, looks like i'll keep digging to get to the bottom of my issue. I'll report any new findings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

updated from 10.6.8. No improvements concerning the timeline-jerkyness. Had some serious crashes, though... But I think (hope?!) they are due to Multi-Cam-usage, which really is something, which ought to be improved the next update...

Still funny stuff´s happening - source window is stuck with a freezeframe, can´t be changed by opneing another clip, just a restart does.

And one word on updating to lion: I have read so much  ugly stuff (see the app-stire) that I really am kind of  affraid. The point is: I just fled from FCPX to PP, to leave my years of blind  "fanboyism" right there.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and, by the way: I have pp 5.5 installed on my other macpro (1,1 which runs still on Leo! No cuda!) And: no jerky-ness at all!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can understand being afraid to go to Lion - especially if you are in the middle of an edit.  But, for me, now that I am on Lion and have the 5.5.1 upgrade, PPro went from utter frustration to complete joy.  I am a FCP switcher that was starting to think about going back to FCP7, but now I am here to stay.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hate the underwater-working in the timeline, so if you tell me that it works....well, maybe,... tomorrow? 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't hold me to it!   It is working for me and a few other people who have been complaining for months.  And so far, no show-stoppers with Lion and any of my other software.  Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone using a Blackmagic Decklink card with the new 5.5.1 update? I see they havent updated their drivers yet and are quiet on their forum with any response to when a new driver is coming

Desktop Video 8.5 for Macintosh

Date Added: 29 August 2011

Clearly this was released way before 5.5.1

Ray

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 30, 2011 Sep 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Needles, with your Lion / 5.5.1 combo, are you seeing the eyedropper bug that Adobe and others have mentioned, which makes any effects or tools that use the eyedropper effectively useless?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 01, 2011 Oct 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uninstalling all Adobe products and running the Adobe cleaner script successfully has caused installing CS5.5 to give an Exit Code 24 when trying to install, and will not install on Lion.  Be warned that uninstalling CS5.5 on Lion may cause the same issues not allowing you to reinstall the Suite.  Since there is still no change in H.264 timeline scrubbing on Lion for me, I am clean installing Snow Leopard and will attempt to reinstall CS5.5 production premium on 10.6.8.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 01, 2011 Oct 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just letting you all know that I have had nothing but joy with prem & Lion as per Needles.

My system has never been this stable, especially as I use a lot of XDCam/h264 footage.

I was getting frequent crashes when editing with this foootage and now I have actually gone

a couple of days without a crash.

My eyedropper seems to work as it should on keys etc but I am not exactly sure what the issue is.

I have a 4.1 MacPro, GTX 285, Blackmagic Multibridge pro 2, (all the latest drivers etc)

I put lion on over the top of leopard and then used the adobe cleaner and installed 5.5 and then upgarded to 5.5.1

All is going well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines