• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PPro CS5 GUI on mac really jerky

Explorer ,
Mar 22, 2011 Mar 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving clips around on the timeline of CS5 on the mac is like playing Russian roullette; you never know where the clip is actually going to fall. It's like the interface has a refresh rate of 5fps or something. It seems to take forever for clips to snap against each other, and this lag causes the user to think something is wrong and then move the clips around more than necessary.

Please please tell me that this will be addressed in a point release. I don't want to have to pay to upgrade for a solution to a problem that should never have made it to a full release.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 257 Replies 257
Community Beginner ,
Oct 03, 2011 Oct 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd say you're spot on there Wil. Certainly for me the timeline laginess has been resolved by installing Lion.  I'm also getting poor performance when editing Canon DSLR footage though. My Mac Pro can play back the h.264 files in real time even at full res with fast colour corrector applied but try to drag the CTI around on the timeline and it all goes very slowly indeed. Every now and again though the machine will start to drop frames during playback and will continue to do so until the playback is paused and restarted.

The thing that I still find a little confusing is that nothing in my system is being pushed, the 24 virtual cores are barely doing anything, More then 24 of the 48 gig's of RAM are unused and the SSD delivering the files is nowhere near being pushed.

Regards

Paul.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 13, 2011 Sep 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sadly the premiere update 5.5.1 on OSX 10.6.7 has not changed performance, or lagging timeline.  My sequence still has hardware acceleration enabled and am running CUDA driver 4.0.19  but the premiere update has not changed any performance issues.  There are updates to my CUDA driver along with an OSX update that I will try to see if it resolves my issues.

When I get some time I will update and report back, if anyone else has seen an improvement please respond, it would be great to hear a overwhelmingly warm response to this update if it fixes problems. It's great to see adobe's update addressing the issues that have been discussed in this thread, I am very hopeful for finding a solution on my machine, and thanks to everyone who has given feedback and help.

cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 14, 2011 Sep 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Upgrading to Lion seems to have fixed it for me too.

I am still using CS5, so no updates for me. Even without them it seems the OS was the problem. In Lion I can drag my clips around as fast as possible and they stay under the cursor the whole time.

Thanks everyone for chiming in with your reports.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 30, 2011 Sep 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update to my experience.

On a MacPro 4.1 I have updated to Lion 10.7.1 with the Premiere CS5.5.1 patch, and using a Nvida 4000 for mac with Cuda Driver Version: 4.0.50 and GPU Driver Version 7.4.10 270.05.05f01.

The timeline lag when moving instances around the timeline is gone, however the scrubbing though H.264 footage from the Canon 5D and 7D is still extremely sluggish.  I have access to GPU acceleration and it is enabled but still experience with the above issues. 

I was able to test the same OS and Premiere patch above on a MacPro 3.1 system without a Cuda enabled GPU, and the moving instances on the timeline was gone and the H.264 footage scrubbed extremely smooth.

My next attempt will be to uninstall all adobe applications again, run the Adobe Cleaner utility and reinstall CS5.5 without the 5.5.1 update and report if anything has changed.  It's great to hear people are having success with the updating and are experiencing performance gains.  If anyone has an advice to my current situation it's always appreciated.

Cheers,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 17, 2011 Oct 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any updates to this subject yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 19, 2011 Oct 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello All,

Quick update

New Mac Pro with Lion Pre-installed

Quadro 4000 GPU

Updated Lion with all patches

Checked Java in system preferences and it installed the latest run time environment.

Ran the Adobe CS 5.5 Production Premium Suite Installer

Installed all Adobe updates. This included CS5.5.1 - All automated through Adobe Updates

Rebooted for good measure. No problems with anything.

Started up Premiere Pro and first checked to see if Mercury Playback Engine was enabled. I was concerned because I was relying on Lion to have the latest Quadro 4000 driver. Everything was enabled and working as expected. Cuda is also the most current one. No update available or needed. I also wanted to point out that this system has two 24" monitors and the Quadro drives the second monitor fullscreen very nicely.

Second test was the GUI Lag. I am comparing the Lag to an identical 12 core system running Snow Leopard. I want to say that first I have had limited time to compare in a measured way, but I noticed a substantial improvement on the Lion system. In the next few days, I hope to quantify this and post the results.

This system has no I/O card at this moment, but the other identical 12 core system is running a Blackmagic Extreme HD 3D+ card and I also will be posting some comparisons between the two systems in the near future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Oct 19, 2011 Oct 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Congrats Ray. Glad to hear all is well so far.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 25, 2011 Oct 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Look forward to your future posts Ray.  Hopefully we can track down why some are having issues and others are not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines