• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premier Pro runs system out of application memory (CC 2014 & CC 2015 on OS X)

New Here ,
Nov 01, 2014 Nov 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I edited about a 20 minute clip of video, the memory consumption of Premiere Pro CC 2014 on my MacBook Pro (Core i7, 16GB memory, 500GB SSD with 150GB free, Yosemite) grew and grew. Now, when I open the project, Premiere Pro immediate consumes 30GB of memory! Which means that opening my project now takes about 15 minutes (the blank Premiere application appears in about 2 minutes, but the panels do not complete their slow fill-in for another 13 minutes - all the while the cursor is spinning, not allowing me to select anything, and activity Monty tells me that Premiere is unresponsive). Worse still, when I try to export my project, memory usage grows above 60GB, until my system gives up and reports "Your System has run out of application memory". Keep in mind that I been careful to reboot the system, reset PRAM, and run nothing significant except Premiere, Activity Monitor and Finder. I have Optimized for Memory in preferences, and even tried Limiting Memory usage to 8GB (even though this refers to RAM, not VM).

I monitor Premiere steadily gobbling up resources as VM usage and Memory Pressure increase. I understand that the proximal cause of the error message is probably an excessive number of page faults triggered by the massive memory hogging by Premiere. However, the root cause is Premiere using so much memory.

My 1920x1080 project timeline and bin contain .MTS files (from AVCHD footage), .mpg files (converted via ffmpeg from .TOD files), One EPS graphic, Five .PNG graphics from PowerPoint, One Title, and less than 10 audio files extracted for editing in Audition.

When the export begins, Premiere estimates about 1 hour to encode my timeline. After about 35 minutes, Premier has used up over 60GB of VM which causes Yosemite to report an error, and pause the application.

One solution I suppose is to tell Premier to stop buffering so much content. I have a fast SSD with over 100GB remaining at the time of error, and I can live with the export taking an hour longer if some artifacts are left on disk.

Is there a way to tell Premiere to load less into Virtual Memory?

Message was edited by: Kevin Monahan

Reason: needed more descriptive title

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Feb 16, 2015 Feb 16, 2015

In File/Project Settings/Generel under "Video Rendering and Playback" switch the renderer from "Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration (Open CL)" to "Software Only".

It will be a slower render but at least it should render. Works for me anyways.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2015 Jul 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if any of you have already seen this temporary fix to the "out of memory" problem, but my issues have been fixed (Premiere Pro CC 2015 on a 15" Macbook Retina -- 16GB RAM) by going to the preferences > Sync Settings and unchecking all the boxes.

I was getting the "Out of Memory window" every 20 minutes and having to restart, but since I unchecked the sync settings, it hasn't happened again.  I hope it gets permanently resolved soon, because that caused a lot of delays in my work over the past two weeks!!  Really frustrating!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 13, 2015 Jul 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if any of you have already seen this temporary fix to the "out of memory" problem, but my issues have been fixed (Premiere Pro CC 2015 on a 15" Macbook Retina -- 16GB RAM) by going to the preferences > Sync Settings and unchecking all the boxes.

I was getting the "Out of Memory window" every 20 minutes and having to restart, but since I unchecked the sync settings, it hasn't happened again.  I hope it gets permanently resolved soon, because that caused a lot of delays in my work over the past two weeks!!  Really frustrating!

Thanks for reporting back on this issue.

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 20, 2015 Jul 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ive just come across this problem.

Had a CC2015 project working fine on a early 2011 MBP.

Just bought a brand new 15" MBP Retina, 16gb Ram, 2.5ghz Processor and today that exact project is constantly getting out of memory errors causing me to do 3 restarts this morning already.

Have reverted back to CC2014 and spent past hour rejigging the project from an XML export.

CC2015 desperately needs a bug fix update!

Odd it suddenly occurred with newer model MBP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 20, 2015 Jul 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Conan,

Ive just come across this problem.

Had a CC2015 project working fine on a early 2011 MBP.

Just bought a brand new 15" MBP Retina, 16gb Ram, 2.5ghz Processor and today that exact project is constantly getting out of memory errors causing me to do 3 restarts this morning already.

What were you doing as you got the out of memory errors? Was the Color workspace open? Were you exporting?

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 21, 2015 Jul 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Just editing varying codecs in a sequence. Mix of MP4, MXF and H264. No colour workspaces open.

The fix suggested in a previous thread of moving the preferences folder and disabling sync settings worked for me so id think this is the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 21, 2015 Jul 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Been through a big hoop on this one.

Now back on PP 2014 and project running smoothly. I did increase memory to 32GB which improved overall performance a little but nothing to jump up and down about.

However - the last 10 attempts to render have resulted in a number of oddities;

1. System runs out of memory
  2. CPU usage goes to 100% and sits there until I close the out of memory message
  3. Renders fail with the low memory message (with or without Mercury)
  4. Successful renders are flawed in that content from multiple tracks goes missing presenting black screen where it should have been.

Getting concerned about losing customers if this goes on too much longer.

PC

win 7 pro

SSD OS disc

4 x spiny 500 in a Raid

NVIDIA GTX690

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 03, 2015 Aug 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running a 2015 macbook pro with the new Graphics card and I just got the message from the force quit menu. It seems to only be happening with the scopes open but I am color correcting so that's not really a good option. Quitting and reopening seems to be the only thing that clears the memory. Good thing I got that SSD.

2015 Macbook pro - NVDIDIA 2gb

Panasonic GH4 4k in multicam (6 streams, 1 stream 1080)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 03, 2015 Aug 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Keith,

I am running a 2015 macbook pro with the new Graphics card and I just got the message from the force quit menu. It seems to only be happening with the scopes open but I am color correcting so that's not really a good option. Quitting and reopening seems to be the only thing that clears the memory. Good thing I got that SSD.

2015 Macbook pro - NVDIDIA 2gb

Did you install the Premiere Pro CC 2015 (9.0.1) update released on Monday yet?

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 04, 2015 Aug 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hadn't realized there was a new version yet. Updating right now. I'll let you know if it fixes the issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 04, 2015 Aug 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed the update. It seems to not be leaking memory. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 15, 2015 Aug 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem,

Done everything possible and now installing older version of premier , i might be lucky.

I oure professional work, this is not acceptable,

I have Faith in Adobe to fix that issue ASAP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2015 Sep 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are also seeing this same problem when trying to export clips from Premiere Pro CC 2015. We've tried the fix mentioned but the problem still persists. Yes we've updated PP to the latest version 9.0.2. We're on an older Mac Pro 3,1, 32GB of RAM, graphics card is an NVidia GeForce 8800 GT with 512MB, OS X 10.10.5. Please find the memory leak. We want to be able to run the latest version of PP without having to rollback to the 2014 version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 16, 2015 Sep 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We now have the same problem on all our machines since the latest update this week of Premiere CC 2015 and Media Encoder.

Very frustrating if you are running 5 edit suites and none can export or transcode files anymore... because of a memory leak...

We are woking on Mac Pros with 16GB RAM on each machine.

Is there a way of downgrading to the previous version ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 16, 2015 Sep 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe you can re-install the 2014 version - the same as  I have done with my PC.

I'll not be touching anything connected with the 2015 version until these forums go relatively quiet on it.. I'm quite happy with 2014 performing more or less as it should.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 17, 2015 Sep 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks ScubaBadger,

This year we've switched our edit suites to Adobe from other known NLEs and have been working from day one with the 2015 version.

This was sort of ok (many other annoying issues with Premiere Pro CC).

But since the latest update on Monday the 14th we have this memory leak issue, which makes it virtually impossible to work with Premiere Pro CC.

As we are struggling enough to get around all the bugs and overall flakeyness of the 2015 version I wouldn't like to roll back to 2014 as I don't know what other issues we then encounter in our setup.

Ideally I would just roll back to the previous 2015 version.

Does anyone know if this is somehow possible with the whole cloud-being-always-up-to-date rubbish ?

I will definitely not run an update of Adobe anymore without waiting a few month and running checks on a test machine.

Foolish of me to think an update will only have fixes and keeps your system up and running.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe have put links into the App manager - but I don't know if they will show a link to a previous version you never had the previous version.

I also don't know why after all that's gone on for the last few months - Adobe have not taken the ability to revert a little more seriously and put obvious links up for those in a hurry toget bak to work.

Here are some links to another resource (I di in fact use this page to get back to 2014 versions):

Adobe CC 2014 Direct Download Links: Creative Cloud 2014 Release | ProDesignTools

I hope someone at Adobe will re-point you to links from within Adobe...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much ScubaBadger !

BTW: roll back to 2014 is also possible.

I might try this on one of our machines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2015 Oct 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having issues while rendering out on 9.0.2.

2013 Mac Pro with 64GB of RAM and it still isn't happy! It is blowing through the cap!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2015 Oct 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too am having the same problem when trying to export nearly any type of video file - even four minutes in length. I have no other apps open, but I go way over my RAM capacity almost immediately. I've tried moving the 9.0 folder to my desktop, and no luck. I desperately need to export a video for a client, but have yet to find a work around for this. Any of the links to the CC 2014 haven't worked for me to re-download.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2015 Oct 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jennifer.  The only workaround I have found is to render in very short sections. I am working on a 30 minute show and have kept my renders to about 3 minutes.  I save immediately and then render the next section.  Not perfect but it has got me through until there is a fix.  Hope that helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately this is only working for me for 2 minutes at a time, and on the third time I get the same application memory message, and I'm forced to restart my computer to start again. This is clearly not a viable workaround. Adobe - can you provide a download link for CC 2014? When will this memory leak be fixed??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jennifer,

Can we get more details? FAQ: What information should I provide when ask... | Adobe Community

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 10, 2015 Nov 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Am running Premiere Pro CC 9.0.2 (6) Build on:

iMac  (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014)

Processor 4 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory 32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4096 MB

CC Memory Settings:

Installed RAM:  32GB

RAM reserved for other applications: 6GB

RAM available for {Adobe Apps}: 26GB

System runs out of application memory, causing Force Quit and restart, when working in Timeline on a 10-minute project running Effects: Lumetri Color and Warp Stabilizer.  Footage was colored in SpeedGrade via "Directlink to Adobe SpeedGrade" (if that matters).  Not running SpeedGrade at same time, and was not running it when this problem began.  Actually, the only other application running is Spotify.  Runs out of memory if I try and render as well, but was simply setting Markers on footage that had been previously rendered, when it began happening.  I have switched to "Mercury playback engine software only", which caused me to lose all of my preview files and renders, to no avail.  Sometimes can work for 3 minutes after force quit and restart, sometimes five minutes.

Please help.

- Eric

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2015 Nov 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's a ghost in the software.  After two days of the problems you guys have been having, I started using that memory clean app, saving and restarting Premiere Pro fresh prior to export.  This has been working for me.  I started using that app when I cut a feature in FCPX.  It was helpful.

One great thing about using one of these memory clean apps is the ability to monitor memory usage while exporting.  I've got a similar (if not same) computer set up as Eric above.  So, there is no reason for a memory problem.

Switching to "software only" made no difference.

One thing is that I do all my color usually with Film Convert (in fact, while the color correction portion is a little weak, you can do almost everything right in that plug-in).  This latest film is no different.  But when the last update of Premiere brought the Lumetri panel (similar to what I've used in Speedgrade), I tweaked the film with it.  My feeling is that that is when I started having problems.  But who knows...

I lecture tomorrow to a class with a lot of film students, so, I will ask them about their experiences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 11, 2015 Nov 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had previously experienced the memory issue only when rendering but last night it occurred when using the FX Factory Spotlight Filter and Vibrance Filter. I had used these in past versions of Premiere with no issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines