• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere 2015 - All video playback is now choppy. Why?

Participant ,
Jun 16, 2015 Jun 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After installing the new update (2015), I can no longer preview and video (of any format) without it being extremely choppy and unusable.

Anyone else run into this problem?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jul 28, 2015 Jul 28, 2015

After few hours of connection with Adobe Live Chat , operator "Abhinav" figured out the solution. He deleted all the prefences and settings of my Premiere via renaming the Adobe file in the documents like "Adobe.old". After the removal , he opened the Premiere CC and the magic! It's working great now. Thanks Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 194 Replies 194
Explorer ,
Mar 11, 2016 Mar 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@smithekI think they're talking about going into your Premiere preferences and changing it, not your OS Settings preferences.

Regardless, in my Premiere, there is no option for "No Input" in my Preferences>Audio Hardware>Default Input>, only "Built-in Microphone" and "Display Audio". I do not have a microphone connected to my computer, so I don't know what the deal is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2016 Jan 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This fixed it for me.  Thank you so much. I had no idea how to get this project I'm on done without this fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 05, 2015 Oct 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is horrible.

I don't quite understand how Adobe could let an update as bad as this one out the door.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 30, 2015 Oct 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to clarify; when you talk "playback", are you talking playback in the preview screen, while editing or when you export the finished edit as a movie?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2015 Dec 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just fixed my choppy playback by going to Preferences>Audio Hardware>Default Input>NO INPUT

That fixed it for me. Hope it helps somebody!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 24, 2015 Dec 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated one of my workstations to Premiere CC 2015 and imported a blackmagic 4K file, residing on an SSD drive.  The playback is very choppy and appears to halt/reverse every half second.  This machine has 32 gigs of RAM, Windows 7 64, a GeForce GT980 ti.  

My older machine, running the same file over a networked drive, and using CC 2014 has no playback issues.

I haven't seen any real solutions on this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 24, 2015 Dec 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

P.S.  The timeline scrubs super fast with no delay, and the right and left arrow speed through without chop.  Playing the timeline, however, is choppy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jan 20, 2016 Jan 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Could anyone clarify if this problem is playing back in the preview window or when you export? I can playback in preview without a problem but when I export, the resulting movie jumps a bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2016 Jun 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this thread has been inactive for a couple of months now, but I'm having the same issue except only in multicam editing. I film and edit wedding videos, and in the past, multicam editing has worked like a charm. For some reason, out of the blue, I'm getting choppy playback in the multicam edit. If I just playback one video at a time, it plays through with no issues. I've tried everything suggested here and it hasn't quite solved it. Selecting "No Input" for Audio Hardware helped some but not completely. Despite not having the issue on my computer before, I actually installed a SSD for my video projects and upgraded my graphics card. Neither one helped. I'm stuck. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 24, 2016 Jun 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Holy smokes that was incredibly frustrating, but a suggestion in this thread fixed that issue for me with choppy audio and video playback.

My fix:

Go to Prefrences

Then Audio Hardware

change Audio Input

change Master Clock setting.

Fixed in instantly for me. The software instially had me on SDPIF Interface (or whatever it was). I use an SMSL amp for my audio and I just had to change it to Line or In:Line

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2016 Aug 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After update timeline was unwatchable due to choppiness.  The fix for me was AUDIO HARDWARE settings and change the AUDIO INPUT to another choice. As a matter of fact, it gives a warning saying.. "changes could effects playback performance, do you want to continue?"  I said HELL YA! .  So all is good now.   Give it a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 26, 2016 Aug 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. My video playback is awful! It's super choppy. I'm working on a project now and I really can't with it being that choppy. I never had a problem with Premiere Pro CS6—that's what we used all the time at Votec. Now, the CC version has problems. What the heck?

I have the latest version and I'm working with Windows 8.1. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2016 Oct 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same thing. My footage is 1080/60p, but it is always playback with jitter inside Premiere CC 2015.4 (and also in previous versions), even if Fraps say there is 60 fps. I try do disable vsync in nVidia panel for Premiere, this is help a little, but jitter is still there.

Sometimes if I press many time Space key (pause/play), all ok. Sometimes I need to make 6 or 8 Space keypress to make smooth playback. So I deside Premiere still can't sync frame render during playback to vsync of monitor and GPU (like ANY videplayers do, including WMP, MPC and others), even if vsync is off or adaptive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2017 Feb 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All,

i just ran into this problem. i edited a video saturday night and saved it. i was able to play back all video as i cut, slomo, etc and it played back fine without rendering. the next day it seemed to have went crazy. all my clips were not playing back smooth. i deleted pro elements 15 and reinstalled it hoping that this would fix it and it did NOT! i went round and round and even had chat support access my computer to fix this issue. i DO FEEL i have solved the problem. i went into my graphics card settings for my nvidia ge force 940mx and restored to factory settings. i do believe this cleared up the issue. it was getting to be a pain having to render all files and waiting for this to happen. i dont know how these settings magically changed but they did and it screwed everything up. hope this works for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 26, 2017 Apr 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Premiere Pro CC 2017.  I'm running Windows 7 Pro with 16 gigs of RAM.  I never had this problem in the past, but just like everyone says, it's impossible to edit like this.  I have to be able to see things in real time or I can't make the right decisions.  I've had pretty good luck exporting things to a smooth playback on Blu-Ray, but that's ridiculous.  I shouldn't have to export video that I'm editing, just to see if the scenes look right or not.  I thought it might be my video card is too cheesy, but some other people here say they've replaced their cards and things are still jerky.  I hate to change software but if I can't get this fixed, I'll have to.  Marc Trainor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 27, 2017 Apr 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Marcbonnie,

Can you try a different user account? If that doesn't work well, please work with our agents here.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have (and have had for a long time) a similar problem.  Could you be specific about trying a different user account? What if you only have access to one account?

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Martin,

I have (and have had for a long time) a similar problem.  Could you be specific about trying a different user account? What if you only have access to one account?

Thank you.

Are you not the administrator of the computer? Can you get access? Can you then create a NEW user to test?

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Created new user- didn't make any difference; will follow your suggestions for original post'er

thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 29, 2017 Apr 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For whatever its worth.

For a long time (long time!), choppy playback, especially with mutli-cam has been a problem for me, i read the 190 or so comments on the forum, but nothing worked.  So I just gave up, and "managed."

However, the chance to send a more specific request as Kevin outlined appealed, but first I went back to the drawing boards -- remembering many issues about video cards.  I have two computers and no driver updates had affected anything.  But this time using the Device Manager (which had never done anything before) a new driver was downloaded to each card from Windows 10 (from "System32/DriverStore"  - something new). An old card (GTS 450 even with the new driver didn't change much. But with the other card, Quadro K2000, and premiere 2017,  an apparent miracle: four cameras, playing flawlessly.

Thanks Kevin.

Beware of miracles, someone says..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines