• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere CC - why can't it handle my footage?

New Here ,
Jan 11, 2018 Jan 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Getting a little desperate now...

I've been using PPro for years now, but for some reason it just can't seem to handle the footage anymore.

Forget playback 4k footage, it's barely able to take 1080p footage.

I'm editing a project now, with footage from a GH5 at 1080p, 50fps, and the timeline is matching those clips, but it still can't handle them. Playback res. is at 1/4. Renderer currently at 'Mercury engine playback GPU acceleration (OpenCL)' - Rather keep it at this as it's a long project, and sitting waiting for it to render if it was at 'Mercury playback engine software only' wouldn't really be time efficient.

PPro is currently on ver. 12.0.0

I'm using a Macbook Pro 2014:

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro11,3

Processor Name: Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 2.5 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 6 MB

Memory: 16 GB

Boot ROM Version: MBP112.0138.B17

SMC Version (system): 2.19f12

If anyone can give me any hints of how I can make this work, I'll be forever grateful! I've tried a lot in the past, just learned to try and live with it, but it's getting a little silly now!

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Depending on the encoding choosen on the GH5, you will have difficulties.

It encodes in hevc (h265) which is very gpu intensive, even more for a laptop. Only newest generation of GPU cards (like Nvidia 10xx series) can properly handle h265. Plus the GH5 use a long gop flavor, which is designed to save some bandwith for the file writing, but is very intensive in editing to rebuild the image.

Firmware v2.0 introduced a new all intraframe codec in GH5 that might be faster to decode on your Macbook Pro.

Hope this helps,

Seb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Meanwhile, you can use the proxies to encode a lighter version of your files, and swap the original ersion back for final export.

You can learn more about proxies here: Work offline using proxy media |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Jarle Leirpoll notes that on his Hp laptop, he can edit 8k RED files with ease by setting the playback control to a lower level. H.264/265 not so much, especially in higher FPS let alone interlaced.

As Seb says, it's your media. That long-GOP needs de-encoding then de-compressing, and it's much harder for the computer to work with while an NLE is doing all it's work than higher-k files in ProRes or DNxHD/R or Cineform or several other of the intraframe codecs, which are much more efficient in their use of the CPU for de-compressing.

So his suggestions are spot on. Have PrPro create Cineform proxy media from the included presets, use the + icon to the far right of the Program monitor control panel to drag/drop the Toggle Proxy icon to your control block. Then click it 'blue' to use proxy during playback, off to gray to see the original media for quality.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines