• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere changes the clip name upon import

Enthusiast ,
Oct 07, 2022 Oct 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have footage that wasnt shot on a camera per se. It's footage from a major tv network that is being sent to me from an archive where they store clips. Clips that were once filmed on broadcast sideline cameras during a game many many years. They are MXF files. they have one name on the finder level and then you drag them into premiere without using media browser and the name changes dramatically upon import. I don't want to copy and paste the file names here to show you the difference because it contains peoples names and other information that I'd like to keep generic. I googled this issue and have not found many people talking about it. (i found 1 post on adobe forums that talked about canon cameras and changing the name of a file from 01 to 02 but that isnt a solution). Anyone know if this has to do with some kind of premiere preferences that I can turn off to stop it from renaming clips? I have a feeling this has to do with metadata.

Premiere: Version 22.6.2 (build 2) aka Premiere Pro 2022

Computer: MacOS Monterey Version 12.6

TOPICS
Error or problem , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Oct 07, 2022 Oct 07, 2022

the only work around i've discovered is right click on "frame rate" column to bring up "metadata displays", and then checkmark "media file name". and that displays it correctly (as opposed to the "name" column that displays it as something entirely different then what its called on the finder level)
March 2023 Bruce Bullis said its unlikely Premiere will fix this in the future. "PPro will continue to use the Package Name as the project item Name."

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You dont say from what to what the name changes to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thats correct. re-read my message. i say why,.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So does the name change when you use Media Browser?   And please give us an example of the original file name and the clip name in Premiere as Ann suggested.  And when you right click on the clip in the project, and choose reveal clip in finder does it find the source clip?    And if you right click on the clip in the project and choose "properties" it should reveal path of the file...   

MXF files seem to be causing problems here and there...  I was getting strange flashing when playing certain mxf files within Premiere,  She suggested changing the extension of the file from .mxf to .mpg.  Might be worth a shot.  If you have a ton of files, there are some freeware solutions to batch rename files...  and it's possible Adobe Bridge also does it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"And when you right click on the clip in the project, and choose reveal clip in finder does it find the source clip?" yes

"And if you right click on the clip in the project and choose "properties" it should reveal path of the file.." properties shows the name of the file on the finder level. the name on the finder level and the name in the properties box are the same. but the clip name itself in the bin differs from what is shown on finder level and in properties box.

i will not reveal the clip name. too much sensitive information. all you need to know is that the original file name on finder level is something like this SOMEONESNAME___18_02_13_03.MXF but in the project Premiere shows the file name as NAME V NAME REEL 2 OF 4 09/08/2002 SD ARCHIVE - MORE INFO I CANT LIST.MXF

changing extension/file type will not rectify this issue as some of the mxf files come in fine without being renamed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

did you try renaming the extension to .mpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no and im not going to. thats not the solution to this metadata issue. i dont even know if mpg can support all these different audio channels. dicey. not a solution i want to entertain, this is a bigger issue then that i believe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These are troubleshooting steps to help isolate where the problem originates...  if you duplicate a clip, and rename the extension might be useful, might not.  The file name is available in the project by enabling the file name in the metadata display.  You can then copy and paste pretty easily...  If that's not clear, post back and I'll do some screen shots to illustrate this clearly.

Sometimes a workaround is the way to go forward.  Ann Bens is one of the true experts here and if she doesn't know of a setting to turn this behavior off, there probably isn't one...  but maybe someone else has a clue.  I think there are utilities out there to edit the metadata...  which might be the only way to avoid this.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most likely, as I think, the name changes when the owner sent the project to the archive, he indicated to change the original file names during consolidation and copying. It is better to ask this question to the owner of the source files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no consolidation is happening. producer is going into a software/program to hit restore to get the footage out of the archive, then it sends us the mxf.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

listen carefully. You need to find out who sent the project to the archive before you. And there will be an answer. If there is no such possibility to find out, then you only need to assume that the person before you when consolidating the project and sending it to the archive indicated changing the original file names.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i am listening. you dont understand. thousands if not millions of people have worked at this company. no one knows who sent it to the archive. youll go down a black hole and die before youll ever be able to find out that info. there was no consolidation of any project. this didnt exist in a project, it was sent to a computer server for upload into a catalogue where you can download footage. the archive gives the name of the file. and thats what the file should be called in premiere. why is premiere changing that name? there is some kind of metadata in the software and in the file that is choosing to rename it and that needs to be the direction of this investigation: how to turn off that re-naming preference. not who uploaded it or consolidated it, because thats a dead end because youll never find that person, and that person cant speak to what is happening in premiere. the person who probably put in the archive did it 15+ years ago for all we know, that person isnt around any more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps @Bruce Bullis or @Fergus H will be able to help.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some camera card-style folder-based formats (even if they've been copied to disk storage), PPro's Media Browser can extract additional metadata from the folder structure, that's not available if the .mxf files imported from within that folder structure are imported via other methods (File --> Import, drag-and-drop).

>they have one name on the finder level and then you drag them into premiere without using media browser and the name changes dramatically upon import.

Confirming: Do you see 'correct' metadata/behavior, if you import those same .mxf files through PPro's Media Browser?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

when i locate file in media browser and drag it into project from media browser window, file name changes upon coming into premiere

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried copying and pasting the filename from the Finder to the Name text filed under Clip in the Metadata tab?

In this screenshot, the Metadata is setting the Clip Name to "Bee" instead of the Filename.

WarrenHeaton_0-1665162714915.png

In this screenshot, the filename is restored by copying and pasting it from the Finder to the Name text field.

WarrenHeaton_1-1665162769906.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no i havent tried that bc if im changing it meta data, i could just change the file name in premiere altogether, doesnt change how premiere is renaming it upon import and thats what needs to be fixed. the issue is that the amount of mxf's coming in is so abudent that its not a good use of my time to go into each individual file and change the name. i need to click some kind of preference in premiere to stop the name changing on all files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No one is asking you to change the name of every file, and PPro is not changing the names of any files on disk.

The behavior you want may already be available to you, if you import those same assets via Media Browser. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

im not saying premiere is changing the names on disk. im saying its changing them in the project. i did import via media browser per your question above that says "confirming". and its still changing the names of the files in the project to a name that doesnt match what is on the finder level

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like the MXF files have an Annotation Track that's setting the name, or title, of the clip.  The only application that I know of that can delete that track is QuickTime Player Pro classic.  As far as I'm aware, if it's XMP metadata then we can disable that on the Premiere Pro side, but if it's embedded in the clip we cannot.

If you add the clips to Adobe Media Encoder or Adobe After Effects, does the name change there as well?  While this isn't the solution that you're looking for, I'm thinking to transcode to equivalent MXF settings or ProRes QuickTime to try to get the embedded clip name to fall off.

A quick approach would be to select the MXF files in the Finder, right-click and choose Encode Selected Video Files and then choose ProRes HQ when the options dialog box appears.  Of course, test this on one clip first to make sure that the CODEC in the MXF file is correctly recognized (we've lost macOS support for a lot of legacy CODECs) and that the embedded clip name falls off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hmm you might be onto something with that annotation track. let me explore that in a few hours when i get a free moment

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check out Digital Rebellions QT edit program

https://www.digitalrebellion.com/promedia/

Might do the trick...  I'm pretty sure there's a free trial, but it's a handy bunch of utilities to have regardless.

The owner/developer Jon Chapell is a great guy...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

but what does the program do? does it fix the metadata in your file? or is it a program to convert files, because if its a converter, i already have adobe media encoder

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it says it can edit metadata.. and if there's a free trial, I suggest you duplicate a file and see if it does what you want... and let us know if it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is there on win ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines