• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere encounters "serious error" - Media cache files on different computer?

New Here ,
Jan 06, 2019 Jan 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I recently lost both my computer and main external harddrive where I used to edit my projects. I could recover the project with my backup disc, but when opening the project on a new computer I get the message "The Media Cache directory " was not found or is not writeable. Hit OK to use the default cache location, or Cancel to exit Adobe Premiere Pro."

I did a manual search on my computer and backup external disc, but there are no cache files anywhere to be seen. Otherwise I could delete them and have Premiere create new ones - since I expect I set up the Media Cache directory to be stored on my old computer which got stolen. When in Premiere I try to go to Preferences to setup a new cache location but then I get the message "Sorry, a serious error has occured that requires Adobe Premiere Pro CC to shut down. We will attempt to save your current project."

Everything in the project looks the same - I could relocate all of my files and every timeline is there. BUT I can't play any files or sequences. All the clips are there, I can scroll through them, but I can't play anything. I can do exports that play just fine, though.

I can't import anything either. The box that says "Importing" shows up with a loading bar, but nothing happens even if I wait for hours.

WHAT is the problem and how can I fix it? I can't make any new preferences because the program crashes everytime I open Preferences. I don't know if it's the same version as on my old computer because that computer is lost. Please help!!! Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to Preferences - Media Cache and Delete or Clean unused

go to Sequence - Delete Render Files

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, as I said in my post, every time I try to open Preferences the program crashes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you try to open preferences with a fresh project?
Also while you are at it, Please share full specs of your new system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2019 Jan 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Christian,

No, I can't open preferences even if I start a completely new project without any new file imports. The program just shuts down when I try and open Preferences and I get message "Sorry, a serious error has occured that requires Adobe Premiere Pro CC to shut down. We will attempt to save your current project."

I am on:

Premiere Pro CC 12.1.2

mac OS High Sierra 10.13.6

2,5 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphic AMD Radeon R) M370X 2048 MB, Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry Graphic AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2048 MB, Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, So from now with every test let's always work with a fresh project.

1- Try Resetting preferences:

To restore default preference settings and plug-in cache at the same time, hold down Shift-Alt (Windows) or Shift-Option (Mac OS) while the application is starting. Release the Shift-Alt keys or Shift-Option key when the splash screen appears.

2- Try updating premiere

3- Please share with me your storage configuration (Hard drives and where are you storing everything)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2019 Jul 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Clearing the plug-in cache and starting a new project worked for me. Thanks for sharing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm thinking start with Step 4 below.

Unofficial Premiere Pro Troubleshooting Guide

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines