• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro 2017 is a huge memory hog

Explorer ,
Aug 15, 2017 Aug 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anytime I try using Premiere Pro 2017 (most recent version) it immediately starts consuming over 2-3 GB of memory, even if no project is open or editing is being done.  This is a major bug with v2017 as downgrading to 2015 versions doesn't cause this problem at all.

Troubleshooting steps I've tried with no success

* Clearing premiere pro cache

* Uninstalling and re-installing premiere pro 2017

* Working with smaller file sizes or fewer video files

Laptop Specs

Windows 10 64-bit

Intel I-7 Processor

8 GB Ram

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 21, 2017 Aug 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can have both versions installed at the same time if you want to continue troubleshooting.

Just remember you're posting on the community forum. This is not the place to be if you are looking to speak to engineers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 01, 2017 Sep 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi taylort,

I just got an email stating that our engineers could not reproduce the bug. I will continue keeping an eye on memory leak issues and will report back here if I find anything out.

Thanks and sorry for the frustration,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 02, 2017 Sep 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the update Kevin.  Would it help to record a screen capture so they can see exactly what's happening in terms of the leak and what other programs are running or not running in the background?

Note that I've had no issues at all with any of the 2015 versions of Premiere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 17, 2017 Aug 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the ETA to hear back via a bug report?  I'm stuck using an older version of PP until you guys fix the leaks on 2017.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They don't reply to bug fixes or feature requests. The only time I heard back from a bug report was when it was an unknown issue that they had questions about. They are all logged and called to the attention of the team.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anytime I try using Premiere Pro 2017 (most recent version) it immediately starts consuming over 2-3 GB of memory, even if no project is open or editing is being done.  This is a major bug with v2017 as downgrading to 2015 versions doesn't cause this problem at all.

Troubleshooting steps I've tried with no success

* Clearing premiere pro cache

* Uninstalling and re-installing premiere pro 2017

* Working with smaller file sizes or fewer video files

Laptop Specs

Windows 10 64-bit

Intel I-7 Processor

8 GB Ram

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For what it's worth, I'm running the same specs as Taylor on my home machine - Win 10 64bit, Core i7, 8GB ram (on a desktop though, not a laptop) and I have not experienced this issue.

Unfortunately, this issue is very likely specific to his machine.

Taylor, have you tried running the CC cleaner tool?

Use the Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool to solve installation problems

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2017 Sep 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem - I had it on my old workstation - and still occurs on my new PC build. I'm a professional filmmaker. I also did not have the issue with CC2015

Premiere Pro CC2017 (11.1.2 build)

i7 -8720x

32GB DDR4 3200 RAM

GTX 1070 GPU

3 x SSD including 1 x M.2

Last project was a 1080p project - froze up while editing with 96% RAM load locked in. No choice but the force quit (luckily I've learn't to save even few minutes). Layered on are MB Looks (colorista and a LUT) and some sharpening. Some nested sequences - but nothing majorly challenging in terms of workflow.

Please note everything is up to date - drivers / software versions. I've eliminated most common reasons.

This is a completely fresh install - with no other programmes apart from CC. This is a purpose built editing machine.

Exports in 1080p in H.264 will see the RAM slowly grow until it tops out at 27gb or so (freezes PP). This is using the Mercury Playback Engine. Software Only is fine (but significantly slower export). Usually I cant get more than a 15 minute sequence render done before it tops out the RAM on my system. Apart from Avid  - No additional codecs loaded (problem was there before these were installed anyway)

Base RAM on opening PP 528mb

Open a simple project -  RAM sits normally around 5GB- 6GB. As you start editing (no rendering for playback either by the way) - RAM keeps growing. If you do render (either effects only or timeline) - RAM grows and stays up - does not come back down. The RAM eventually tops out. I usually see when I'm getting close to it being topped out  - Close PP which clears the memory in use - then restart PP (rinse and repeat).

Issue is with PP's use with RAM and Mercury Engine Playback

Changing to Memory from performance makes no difference

Previous workstation was i7 2600k with 32gb RAM and GTX-780 Titan.

i can only think that the issue is with the H.264 codec in PP. i'm upgrading to 64gb Ram but adding another 32GB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 09, 2017 Nov 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I haven't seen this mentioned here yet, and I swear it seems like the simplest thing, but it's worked for me 3 times now on this exact bug when updating.

1.  Save your custom keyboard shortcuts (they will be lost in this process).

2.  Start Premiere Pro while holding Alt+Shift. This clears the user preferences and starts Premiere with a clean slate.

More info on this:

FAQ: How to reset preferences in Premiere Pro?

3.  I then clear the cache for good measure.

Premiere starts running like a champ again after this.  Don't know why it does this, or why this fixes it.  It's a big weird bug to me, that Adobe needs to figure out as this has been happening to a small number of people consistently over many updates.  It started for me with the last last update on CC2015, but at least this seems to have fixed it a 3rd time for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines