• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro 2018 constantly crashing

Engaged ,
Nov 04, 2017 Nov 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recently updated to 2018 and it keeps crashing. Completely random but enough for it to drive me up the wall.

Windows 10

Dell XPS 15 4K - intel i7 7th gen - 32 gb ram

Editing GH5 10bit FHD long GOP clips, Mavic drone and GoPro .mov and .mp4

No other apps open

Tried both CUDA and software only

Cache files deleted

Only once has it come back with a crash report (I was using legacy titles) and it sent me to a completely random forum thread. The rest of the time it just hangs in the middle of an action, which could be anything from slicing a clip to changing the tool. In a ten hour day it crashes at least ten times. Sometimes after  opening the package after crashing it crashes again immediately, but sometimes not.

Whilst I've been having problems with Premiere Pro running properly on my XPS, it didn't crash like this in version 2017. This is new to 2018.

Anything else I can add to assist with bug-testing?

TOPICS
Crash

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Feb 14, 2018 Feb 14, 2018

Been offline since my last post until recently but many of my problems have been resolved by the latest version that came out a week or two ago. Pr is not crashing anymore, in particular when trimming clips, which would almost guarantee a crash.

The other thing I did was buy an external SSD (Samsung T5) and this has helped significantly.

Pr is still slowing down when I start layering multiple 10 bit or 4K files. One strategy I'm using is to do adjustment layers and text last because they really sl

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Jul 26, 2018 Jul 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing has been happening to me. Even after I drag something into the timeline from import. Or if I try to click space bar to stop a preview, PrPro will crash. WOW WOW WOW Please adobe help!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 26, 2018 Jul 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Program is so unstable...

What they don’t tell you is you HAVE to have a high power video card... otherwise forget it.

NVidi 970 or above

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 07, 2018 Mar 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have random crashes as well with Premire Pro 2018 (12.0.0 and 12.0.1) and some of them I find descibed in comments above. In Team Projects as well as in normal projects. And I have the same experience that Premiere 2017.2 was running near rock solid. I can just say it again: new collegues are coming with costfree Davinci Resolve and make me a hard to explain why we should keep Premiere as our paied house editing software when it is constantly crashing.

PREMIERE VERSION: Premiere CC 2018.0.1

DRIVER: Latest Drivers

SYSTEM:

Windows 10

Ryzan 7 x1800

32Gb Ram

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (EVGA)

120 GB m.2

8TB RAID 10

Audiointerface Focusrite 6i6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 09, 2018 Mar 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, I updated Premiere 2017 before reading this forum. For the last two weeks I can not work, even after doing all the actions suggested by Adobe support, reinstall Windows 10 and go back to the 2017 version. Besides losing my patience, I lose credibility with my clients. I read that these crash problems start after hours ... in my case I could not get in 10 minutes of editing without crash! What to do? Any suggestion?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 24, 2018 Apr 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have seen a few threads now saying they are having these issues and quite a few people have mentioned gtx1070 , im having the same issues (i have 1070) be interesting to know how many people in here actually have the gtx 1070.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 25, 2018 Apr 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then make sure to post your situation on the UserVoice bug system they've just started. Search that for other uses with similar problems, and note the 1070 bit also.

Neil

Adobe Bug /Feature Request form: https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2018 Mar 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So...total disaster for me. Crash, Freeze...ridiculously unstable...who cares what my specifics are??? Latest computer, latest software...can anyone recommend a different brand of editing software? I'm on a  PC so can't do final cut...can't believe I may have to just go buy a mac and final cut to finish all my projects !!!! WADDAJOKE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 23, 2018 Mar 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi same problem. What to do help me pls

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2018 Apr 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing here. Import crashing, Selection tool intermittently working. More crashing. Totally sucks. Its costing me big time.

Not a happy camper with Adobe sucks premiere pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Apr 06, 2018 Apr 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have a workstation with multiple cards.  It's time to play card swap o'rama.  You have a conflict with your GPU on one of the interrupts.  Every time I build a machine, I have to play this out.  Which slot is on the fastest buss for the raid card, but does not share interrupts with the GPU and the system drive? Sometimes I have to disable a needless things, like the front USB panel, (and stick with the back).  Other times it's a how things are plugged in. 

There is an application that sniffs the internal bandwidth and presents a real time graph to show conflicts.  Google DPC Latency to know more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 09, 2018 May 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I discovered that cuda for mac caused crash for Adobe apps. I deleted the cuda and my machine was working normally. Remove cuda if you install

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Working normally , as in having cuda acceleration speeds or working normally as in no cuda and slow performance ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

not crash pr. Performance is slightly reduced but must be accepted if I want to use Pr in my case. Everyone can try the same thing ^^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2018 May 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me, every other time i go save my work it crashes. It's actually driving me up the wall. I've lost so much work and time due to this. Makes me want to stop using premier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 11, 2018 May 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Switch up your editing software, the only way to get Adobe's attention is to hit them in the pocket. It's also great to have the skills for multiple editing softwares.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 23, 2018 May 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems that everything was working fine with cuda 396.64. I disabled all active core, turned to auto. PC does not crash anymore. People can try

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the point of paying out for a good graphics card if we must disable it for Premiere to work without crashing. It is absolutely counter productive and not economical.

A fix is what is needed. Having to cripple our machines just so they do not crash is absolutely backwards. Its like rolling a car with no engine down a hill and saying 'Look, It still works'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Adobe" can't outguess all hardware/OS/firmware changes and build the NLE so that it covers all possible things anyone else ​might​ do. So with OS changes, firmware/driver changes, hardware changes, the users at times do need to modify the settings or modify hardware. I do understand that you're on a Mac, which is of course rather more limited for choices/options & modifications than a PC, which sucks. A user choice, of course.

You commented that CUDA was working ok with one driver ... then of course, one could choose to stay with that driver. Or, alternatively, use OpenCL or Metal, which are available on the Mac side, each with it's own ups/downs depending on the particular GPU involved and a million other data points.

Some of the AMD GPU's are working very nicely with Metal, as I've seen. That of course could also be a user choice. Once upon a time, PrPro just didn't work with AMD components, and I had to pass a relatively new computer to my wife for her stills editing and get a new machine based on Intel/Nvidia. Now, if chosen wisely, one can get a fast machine with AMD/Radeon parts.

I saw a thread on the Hardware forum a while back, a guy has spent a bit of change building a custom editing machine and was incredibly angry that PrPro didn't run fast on it. So ... he was asked to post the parts included. Amazing list, many spendy things from CPUs to you name it. None of the crucial components ... CPU, mobo, GPU, and data-movement (due to mobo choice combined with parts) was actually something that worked within the way that PrPro works.

He was asked if he'd actually checked for what things work well with PrPro before building, and was incensed at the question. But ... that was his choice. He could have spent a few minutes perusing the Hardware forum, the Puget Sound System's advice listing, checked with SafeHarbor Computing or ADK, and made vastly different choices that would have made a really hot system.

Building & modding the systems to work best with Reality just seems to me part of the job of doing the work. But of course, everyone's mileage always varies. Humans being more varied than hardware, software, firmware multiplied against each other.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the Amd radeon card being native supported since 10.13.4, I think using radeon card systems with computational strength in a Mac OS system is perfectly reasonable now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2018 Jun 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly the same for me too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 19, 2018 Jul 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here, on three different computers, all the same.

I have lost more work using Premiere due to crashes than any other application that I have use in 35 years of computer work. Not since the 1980s have I work with an application this poorly written for stability.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 23, 2018 Jul 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

crash crash crash. Argh!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2018 Aug 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a new user of Premiere Pro and was hoping to learn video editing after using Illustrator, Photoshop and InDesign for 4 years now with great success.

However, on attempting to learn Premiere Pro, it is constantly crashing whenever I import media to the timeline. This has happened over 10 times in the past 2 days. I was on with the technical support team this morning through chat and at first, they solved the problem but then it returned whenever I got around to attempting some editing today.

After the second round of chat with their support, their support team wanted administrator permissions to troubleshoot the issue claiming that Premiere Pro needs administrator permissions on Windows to run properly. Our CTO couldn't grant them grant them administrator permissions due to the security risk and their system requirements don't state they need administrator permissions.

Not sure Adobe know what the problem even is and since this issue has been going on since November 2017 judging by this thread and there seems to have been one update since then and that hasn't fixed the issue.

I'm now going to have to move away from Adobe as i've a project that needs completed in the next few days and Adobe has clearly proven themselves to be unreliable and not concerned with the fact their product no longer works. They're still happy for us to pay them though.

My system in case it matters:

Windows 10 64bit

Intel i7

16GB RAM

SSD

Navidia graphics card

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 09, 2018 Aug 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On some systems PrPro will not run properly without setting it to administrative permissions. So it's not a requirement but for practical work many systems need this setting. Especially systems with a ton of security lockouts in place which is not unusual with some security types involved.

Why your systems people wouldn't permit that is  ... puzzling. An NLE is a complex program needing access to CPU, GPU and disc permissions across the computer. Or it cannot run.

If that causes your CTO concerns I would suggest they get educated on what they're dealing with. This is not some simple word processing app. It's one of the most complex apps Adobe makes.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2018 Aug 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I dunno if anyone is still looking for help but here is my case and how I fixed:

(Skip next few paragraphs if you don't want the boring part)

I needed Adobe PP to finish my school project and since me and my co-worker in this project couldn't use the school computers 24/7 we ended up using our own laptops.

The difference was that we were running Win 10 and Adobe PP 2018, in the school computers we had Win 7 and Adobe PP PS6.

We started our project and everything was fine in the beginning, then we started having the crashes and so little help (more like none) from our teacher.

And here's were I started to mess with some settings, and how boy, that was easy...

(And here's what probably you came for)

(I dunno if this works to everyone, it worked for me and my friend)

In Adobe PP 2018 shortcut:

- Click right mouse

- Select 'Properties'

- In that new window select 'Compatibility' tab

- In that tab, where it says 'Compatibility mode' check 'Run this program in compatibility mode for:' and 'Windows 7'

- Hit 'Apply' and then 'OK'

Now try to use Premiere!

Again this worked for me, it might not work for you. Unfortunately I have no way of helping Mac users.

/!\ It's probably because I have a crappy laptop BUT if after this, Premiere, takes a lil longer to load something, let it load, don't randomly click and make it ""over-think"", wait a bit /!\

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines