• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere pro 2019 won't shut down without "force quit"

Explorer ,
Dec 23, 2018 Dec 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since the last update PP won't shut down without a force quit on iOS 10.12.6. It functions perfectly otherwise. I guess it's not a big problem...or is it? It is annoying though. Any one have an idea what to do to fix it?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Feb 01, 2019 Feb 01, 2019

Pr 2019 just kept getting worse. To the point it wouldn't open and if it did it crashed giving me the "A serious error has occured...". If I did anything, like add a clip to the time line it froze. If I managed to get something done, It would not shut down without a "force quit". I fixed the problem by deleting 2019 and reverting to Pr 2018.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide ,
Dec 24, 2018 Dec 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you need to do is this:

Once you have save your project, Close ALL projects in the File menu

PP will minimise

You then go to PP and quit

This resolves the need to force quit

If a project is still loaded PP is still seeing it as open unless you hit close ALL

Trust this helps

Mo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 07, 2019 Jan 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I gave this a try and the force quit is still necessary. Thanks for tyring to help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2021 Feb 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn't. For those who try this technique, try this one too:

1. Create a dummy project with nothing in it. Save it - force quit if you have to.
  2. Open your working project, do your work, and when you are done sith your session, save it.
  3. Then Close Project.
  4. Open the dummy project. Don't do any changes.
  5. Then Close Project.
  6. Then EXIT.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2021 Mar 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, scratch what I wrote above. I am refining the exact sequence, and this has worked on a few occasions:

1. Create a dummy project with a sequence and one piece of content in it (like a black frame). Save it, then quit the application - force quit if you have to.
  2. Open your working project, do your work, and when you are done with your session, save it - but DO NOT close it or quit the application.
  3. Then after you save your working project, make an edit to it, something like nudging an object a frame, but do not save it.
  4. Go to the File menu and select Open, then select your dummy project. When prompted to save, DO NOT save your master project.
  5. The dummy project will then open. Nudge something or make an edit of some kind in the dummy project
  6. Close the dummy project, but DO NOT save.
  7. You should then be placed in the project start panel. Click EXIT and the application should quit without hanging.

Yeah, it's stupid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 27, 2018 Dec 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Terry Lyle,

Sorry for the trouble. It can happen if there is a permissions related issue. Have you tried to fix the permissions?

fixing permissions problem that impedes start of Adobe applications | Creative Cloud blog by Adobe

Are you logged in as an Administrator into the machine?

Thanks,

Vidya

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did this and the force quit is still necessary. Thanks for trying to help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 31, 2019 Jan 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Vidya,

I too am having this same problem with PP 13.0.2...OS10.12.3 operating system... everything running so well until CC 2019... tried your permissions fix suggestion and issue persists ... is there any chance I could get some technical support to look at my system please.

would be very grateful

Steve Hopes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 08, 2021 Jan 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem with Premiere not quitting.  I always have to force quit, and the software is always displayed as "not responding."  The production I am working on is based on this version, and I am unable to upgrade.  I agree this is a minor annoyance, but I see no reason to lower the bar.  I assume this issue has been fixed in later versions of the software, but if there is a fix for this version, I'd love to give it a try.  The articles linked in this thread have been archived by Adobe, and are no longer accessible, which makes no sense.  This is a trouble-shooting forum, and users in this community are running multiple versions of this software, on various platforms.  Articles about older versions of Premiere as relevant today as they were two years ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess the force quit isn't such a problem. I just wonder why it happens. Apparently I've posted this twice on the forums so there's no need to continue this thread. Thanks for responding though!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 09, 2019 Jan 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You sound like a candidate that needs to repair Adobe folder permissions. See this article: Premiere Pro CC, CC 2014, or 2014.1 freezing on startup or crashing while working (Mac OS X 10.9, an...

Try it, and let us know if it helps.

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I did the but the issue remains. Thanks for the advice though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Terry,

In my experience, this mostly happens because Premiere Pro isn't finished completing background tasks, like generating audio peak files, conforming audio or other cache related file operations. I would recommend running the following Terminal (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app) command next time this happens, to see what's really going on on a file system level behind the scenes.

sudo fs_usage | grep Premiere

This should give you an idea about what's going on in the background.

Thomas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Thomas.

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 01, 2019 Feb 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pr 2019 just kept getting worse. To the point it wouldn't open and if it did it crashed giving me the "A serious error has occured...". If I did anything, like add a clip to the time line it froze. If I managed to get something done, It would not shut down without a "force quit". I fixed the problem by deleting 2019 and reverting to Pr 2018.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 01, 2019 Feb 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Terry,

I had my issue resolved with a call to adobe support - reverted from premiere pro CC 2019 13.0.2 back to 13.0.1 ... same with media encoder went back one version there too ... all perfect again - apparently it is a known issue and will be addressed in the next update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2019 May 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll give this a try (and the 2018 suggestion above, if it doesn't solve it), thanks. This is a significant problem for me because I have a very large project and even after I close the project before quitting, Premiere Pro forgets it's already conformed my audio files, which takes about 6 or 8 hours... every time I start the program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 27, 2019 May 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neither CC2019 13.0.1 nor CC2108 solved this. Going to see if phone support can help. Now that 2017 is officially unsupported, I'm completely stuck at the moment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 18, 2021 Mar 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also having this problem on a Windows system with Adobe Premiere Pro 2021. Close project, then close the app, and yet it still stays running in the background which disables things like the Windows keyboard key, etc. Have to go into Task Manager to manually end it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 15, 2021 Nov 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just popping in on the cusp of 2022 to say, yep, it's still doing this. We use Premiere Pro extensively in our work, and every time we close it down, we have to open the task manager and "end task." If we don't, some insomniac fragment of Premiere's evil little brain keeps humming away in the background, making it impossible to open or use the program. Thus, "end task."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 17, 2022 Jan 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, almost 4 years now, and it's a "known issue" that still persists. I guess that goes to show you how much Adobe cares about making their software work well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 07, 2022 Jul 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And I don't know if you get this at all, but when I go to export content and I click on the hypertext to change the export location, no window appears on the screen, and I can't click on anything having to do with Premiere. This leaves me to have to alt+tab and hit enter on the premiere window, then tab through all the options until I get to the hypertext, at which point I can hit enter and then finally a window appears. And sometimes when shutting down premiere, or ending the process in task manager (looking at you ADOBE), a file explorer window appears from when I clicked the hypertext initially...but not all the time. Oh, and track effects work sometimes, and when they don't I have to restart premiere. In conclusion, I'm so fed up with this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 07, 2022 Jul 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

DoBetterADOBE.gif

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines