• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro 2022 - Dynamic Link Not working with After Effects

Explorer ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After updating to PP 22, dynamic link with AE is not working. I've tried going to documents and putting OLD after dynamic link folder, but this did nothing.

This is so disappointing and am actually installing beta versions to finish a project. 

TOPICS
Crash , Freeze or hang

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Beginner , Nov 11, 2021 Nov 11, 2021

This morning, there was an update to AfterEffects (22.0.1). Since, at this point, we had nothing to lose, we decided to install it and see if anything improved.

Thankfully, it did! Older projects with Dynamic Linked .aep files (which is kind of our bread and butter around here) all worked and rendered out just fine. Some of them took a little longer than others to "find", but they all showed up eventually.

I will grant you we only checked a small snumber of projects - just our latest projects -

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Dec 13, 2021 Dec 13, 2021

Just an update on our side with regard on this dynamic link problem.

As of now with the latest update PP 22.11 AE 22.11 ME 22.11 , the dynamic link is working properly.

I hope also the lumetri will be fix soon.

Ill update here soon if something wrong comes up.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 283 Replies 283
Nov 09, 2021 Nov 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI, In case some people haven't see this, Adobe has the issues already in the PP site here:

They said the AE beta fix some issues, not that I would do that.

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/kb/known-issues.html

Here is a copy of some of that text:

HANG WHEN USING AFTER EFFECTS 22.0 COMPOSITIONS IN PREMIERE PRO 22.0 OR MEDIA ENCODER 22.0

This issue occurs when:

• Importing or working with After Effects compositions via Dynamic Link in Premiere Pro
  • Using Motion Graphics templates (MOGRTs) created in After Effects.  The MOGRT often gets stuck at 15% while loading and cause the application to become unresponsive.

A fix for this issue is available now in the After Effects public Beta. We will bring the fix into the release version in the near future. In the interim, consider these workarounds:

• Avoid using Dynamic Linked After Effects compositions in Premiere Pro.
  • Avoid sending After Effects compositions to render in Media Encoder.  Render directly out of After Effects and then transcode in Media encoder. 
  • Disable Multi-Frame Rendering in After Effects in Preferences > Memory & Performance > Enable Multi-Frame Rendering 
  • Revert to Premiere Pro 15.4.1 and After Effects 18.4.1
  • Use the current public Betas of After Effects, Premiere Pro, and Media Encoder.

HANG WHEN USING AFTER EFFECTS MOGRTS IN PREMIERE PRO 

Premiere Pro 22.0 hangs or freezes when using Motion Graphics Template (MOGRTs) that were created in After Effects. The MOGRT often gets stuck at 15% while loading and cause the application to become unresponsive. A fix for this issue is available now in the Premiere Pro (Beta). We will bring the fix into the release version in the near future. In the interim, consider these workarounds:

• Avoid using MOGRTs created in After Effects.  

• Revert to Premiere Pro 15.4.1 and After Effects 18.4.1. 

• Use the current public Betas of Premiere Pro and After Effects.

AFTER EFFECTS MOGRTS THAT USE LUMETRI PARAMETERS FAIL TO RENDER IN PREMIERE PRO

MOGRTs created in previous versions of After Effects that use Lumetri will fail to apply the Lumetri adjustments.  You can see the Lumetri parameters for the MOGRTs in the Essential Graphics panel, but adjusting them has no effect.

Workarounds:

• Recreate the MOGRT in the current release of After Effects and re-import into the current version of Premiere Pro.

• Avoid using the Lumetri effect in MOGRTs.

• Revert to Premiere Pro 15.4.1 and After Effects 18.4.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, thanks for posting that here!

And yowza, what a mess to sort through ...

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good news ✌ 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2021 Nov 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here!

in the middle of a project Adobe decided to do updates. No dynamic link doesn't work anymore and I am not able to finish the project. Wtf!?!?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What solved the problem for me…

First off, the issue obviously lies at the heart of the connection between AE and AME (aka the link server) and the problem also extended to Premiere Pro not being able to link to embedded AE comps that previously worked with no (or just the regular Adobe) hiccups.

I've now managed to fix this absolute annoyance!

After re-installing AE 2021 (18.4.2) and Premiere 2021 (have not installed AME 2021 though!) to make a broken edit work again, I got curious and tried to directly export from the still installed AE 2022 via AME 2022 and voila! it now seems to work again. AE can send to the queue again and AME does not get hung up on the previous “Reading XMP…” loop.

Classic Adobe crap.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update:

Aaaaaaaaaand… it's broken again!

Just wanted to export two comps from the same(!) AE project…

First one exports, no problem.

Second one gets hung on “Connecting to project…”!
Ironicaly it's basically the same comp, just a different pixel ratio and slightly customised scale values.
Same AE project, exact same layers, no effects or anything.

This is so broken! 
Adobe is broken.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. Finally my new Macbook M1 Max arrived and just updated premiere cuz it should be M1 optimated.
After updating after effects, dynamic links stopped working. Tried to install different versions. 
I had do disinstall both softwares and install the 2021 again. For now that's the only way it works.

Really disappointed Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem !!!  

I cant working ! back to 21...  Adobe shame on you ! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So many days we have the problem, can we expect an official date of fix release?

I'm stuck in my work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

why aren't you reverting to the previous version that was working for you?  And there are instructions here on how to allow a project to be opened in an earlier version...  Here's one method

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-pyi6i7gjU

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reverting to previous versions in my case doesn't work, I haven't found a work around allowing me to open PP projects in 2021 that were created in PP 2022 on macOS. I looked into that the other day and came across the same YT video you posted, unfortunately, I didn't see an option to download a mac version of 7zip anywhere and the video only shows how to for a Windows user. For us Mac users, I could use a little more guidance using that as an option. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you can do the same trick with 'The Unarchiver', edit in textedit & compress back with 'Archive utility'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I'll give it a whirl!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got both windows and mac systems so if you don't have any luck, I'd be happy to try the conversion process if you send me the appropriate file.  You can send me a direct message by clicking on my user name and the top of any of my posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

excellent solution ✌

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's really disappointng that Adobe has not resolved this issue. I had to revert to the previous versions to open all my projects.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I never migrate work to a new major version of anything until I've tested it stable on my gear. What is the problem if I need to stay a month or so on a previous version while they're sorting the new one's issues? Not sure.

And it doesn't make any difference who makes the app. Now with Resolve, you have to have a second machine to do this, like many of my colorist buds do, because you can only have one version installed at a time. And their database arrangement is a hassle to move back a version with.

The CC apps, for major versions, you can have multiple installed. So I immediately installed 2022, but didn't start working in it until it showed stable with my stuff. I've had a version a couple ones back where there was an issue with some of my kit and I couldn't update for what, three months?

Didn't miss a deadline or anything of course ... just kept working.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 11, 2021 Nov 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This morning, there was an update to AfterEffects (22.0.1). Since, at this point, we had nothing to lose, we decided to install it and see if anything improved.

Thankfully, it did! Older projects with Dynamic Linked .aep files (which is kind of our bread and butter around here) all worked and rendered out just fine. Some of them took a little longer than others to "find", but they all showed up eventually.

I will grant you we only checked a small snumber of projects - just our latest projects - but the results are promising.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Nov 11, 2021 Nov 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great ✌️

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2021 Nov 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not working neither with 22.0.1 ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2021 Nov 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No luck with 22.0.1 for me. Still not working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 30, 2021 Nov 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

your not alone we still dont or cant make it work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 12, 2021 Nov 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem.  Works in 2021, but yet again we have a new Adobe release full of bugs.  This company has become a complete joke.  They need to stop releasing annually as they're not up to it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 12, 2021 Nov 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, I totally understand the frustration. Some users are just getting lousy issues especially dealing with Ae dynamic links. And yes, I worked with the Public beta of this before it went out as 2022, and didn't have an issue with dynamic links, nor heard of one. So something between the public beta and shipping versions went horribly wrong.

And yes, they need to fix this ... soon.

But because, from practical experience, I do so understand the frustration, I have to ask ... did you test the new release prior to doing any real work on it? Because I've had a new major version a couple versions back that wouldn't work for my system/needs for something like three months.

In the meantime, of course, I kept working in the previous version. And tested any update that came out until finally they got that issue solved.

So, for a very practical reason based on personal experience ... I would never ever suggest anyone immediately jump into a new major release. But not just for Adobe apps, for any app from any vendor.

The BlackMagic Resolve 17.4 release just out a couple weeks back, and it was also a major release. And just like with the 2022 PrPro/Ae release ... many Resolve users are working in it just fine.

Some Resolve users have annoying issues with 17.4 but are working, in all. Complaining of course, but getting work out with various workarounds.

And some Resolve users simply cannot function in 17.4 at all. A major colorist posted on their boards that the fix they put out a few days later was worse on his machine than the 17.4 'original' was. So they're still trying to sort that out. Just like with the Adobe 2022 release. Unfortunately.

With Resolve, you can only have one version installed at a time, period. So most of my Resolve-using acquaintances test any new Resolve build on a secondary machine before loading it onto their main working rig. I wait until Resolve's releases seem pretty sorted before updating my rig, btw. So I'm still on R 17.3

Which to me seems sensible, of course. But with the Adobe CC apps, for major releases, we can both install the new to test while working in the old version.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 13, 2021 Nov 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Luckily it was only one small project in this case, but it's part of a broader issue.  I downloaded the latest update in the hopes it would fix a playback issue I had with 2021 - I feel like I'm in a constant cycle of updating to fix one isssue and being faced with another.  It really shouldn't be the case that I have to basically beta test the new releases myself.  I would love it if Adobe slowed down their release cycle andd really made sure everything worked properly before releasing it, and maybe have some backwards compatibilty if it doesn't - it's insane that a buggy new release will come out and you can't switch a project back to a more stable version.  I'm so fed up with this now - I'm going to keep AE, because there's nothing really like it for what I want to do, but I'm seriously considering dropping my full CC subscription 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines