• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro auto applying LUT on timeline

Community Beginner ,
Jan 20, 2022 Jan 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I open a clip it automatically applies a LUT to the footage in the program and on the timeline. I am not able to remove attributes or presets as there are none. On the preview window is showing the footage as should be. I am using Premiere Pro version 22.1.2 (2022) and MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) on BigSUR 11.6.2

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere doesn't auto-apply any LUTs. This comment normally comes when someone is working with either a mis-understanding of setting their monitor systems or is unaware of the changes in color management of the Pr2022 version from previous behaviors.

So as Ann noted, we need information. Full details on the computer and monitor, where outside Premiere you're comparing it to say it's applying a LUT to the image.

We need to know the full details of the media, what produced it, what the clip properties are especially for color space.

And ... screengrags are always a good thing. Just drag/drop them onto your text reply box so they appear in your post.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 14, 2022 Jul 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Neil,

I understood about 25% of your post but you solved my problem so you are clearly THE MAN. Many thanks!

[For the Record, I was working with some stock footage from a phone and Premiere was auto-applying the Rec.2100 PQ colour space to it, making the clip look different in the source and program monitors.] 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 14, 2022 Jul 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

Sorry. We definitely need more info on the camera you used to shoot the footage and whether or not the video was shot in HDR. Info on your system too, please as both Ann and Neil recommend.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 21, 2022 Jan 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah sorry, I should say I am a novice so sorry about the miss understanding LUTs and monitor settings. The footage was shot on the Sony FX9 in SDR, 4k LOG. I am working off Premiere Pro 22.1.2 on a Mac Book Pro 2014 Big Sur 11.6.2 and the footage looks at expected in the preview window but the program window looks completely differenct once its added to the timeline. Ive attached the screengrab

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open the clip in Effect Controls and make screenshot of source tab.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahh ... now I know what's going on there.

That's a log-encoded clip, right? Did you know that all HDR is actually log-encoded? (Think ... Hybrid log gamma ... mixing log encoding with a gamma section ... )

The engineers completely rebuilt the underlying color system for the Pr2022 series. It used to be totally Rec.709 "with an ability to work with HDR media by using over-range values for dynamic range and color gamut" ... which was a cadged together way to sorta work in HDR.

This is clearly no longer a Rec.709 underlying system. It's completely agnostic for SDR/HDR media. Which is a huge improvement ... mostly.

But the default behaviors for some media aren't working as the engineers expected. Including ... some log-encoded media that is supposed to be simply log-encoded SDR/Rec.709, is being mis-displayed in Pr2022.

Pr2022 sees the log-encoding, thinks ... oh, that's an HDR clip ... and drops it into a sequence as if it were an HLG clip. WRONG.

Now the question ... some of the media it does this with, you can go to the clip properties via selecting the clip in the bin, right-click/Modify/Interpret Footage, and use the color management controls at the bottom of that dialog to "Override to Rec.709".

Then make sure the sequence is set to Rec.709, and work it and export it normally.

But ... for a few types of log-encoded media it does this with, the CM controls at the bottom of the Interpret Footage dialog are grayed out. And that ... is a massive problem.

So ... check your Interpret Footage dialog, see if you can Override to Rec.709.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Neil, this has fixed the issue. Thank you all!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2022 Mar 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you both! I experienced the same issue on Pr2022 v22.2 on both Intel and M1 Macs with s-log footage from an FS7. Luckily, the option to override to 709 per your fix was not grayed out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 30, 2022 Mar 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for this. I had this issue today. I could see footage shot in LOG in the source window and as soon as I placed it in any timeline, it had color applied. I didn't see this "feature" documented on the Adobe website.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 30, 2022 Mar 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They've not spelled out the new system as throroughly as one would hope (ahem ...). So I and many others have had to piece together the hows and whats from just pushing pixels around. One might wish for a more proactively informative documentation process ...

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2022 Apr 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much. I thought I was going crazy. I made proxy files and as soon as I dropped it in a timeline it looked like false colors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They have a new proxy setup in the public beta that seems to handle this correctly. You can install it "alongside" the normal one, and open the project in the public beta. Make proxies, then close and go back to the regular version and open the project.

The proxies I think are still there and usable.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks I'll give it a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 07, 2022 Jun 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 22.4 and there is no override option  I put the footage in the sequence and bam it automatically adds a LUT or does something to the color My footage is a Sony FX9 MXF 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 07, 2022 Jun 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no override in the Sequence ... it's hidden.

The Override option (and other clip CM) is in the project panel ... right-click one or more clips, Modify/Interpret Footage ... the new color management controls are down at the bottom. "Override to" is the bottom option.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2022 Jun 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to set this override to the default? I shoot sony fx9 slog3 for 90% of what I work on. Knowing that's what I'll be ingesting most of the time I prefer to save time by not to take the additional step of modifying large numbers of bins of footage one at a time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh Heavens, don't do them one at a time!

Select a bunch or a whole bin of clips ... then do it once for all. Right-click/Modify ...

And no, we do NOT at this time have a capability of setting defaults. We NEED that ... as we need one full separate Panel in the Panel's list that handles ALL color management options/settings/overrides/defaults. Go 'here' and upvote please!

Color Management Panel

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lol yeah I'm not doing the clips one at a time, but over a multi day, multi camera shoot, I like to have the bins sperated (by camera/day etc) so I end up having 10-15 bins to ctrl-a through one by one. It's not a huge amount of time... but it's a new, and IMO unnecessary, step in the workflow. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, TOTALLY agree! If we had a proper CM panel, we could set defaults instead of wasting SO much time daily ... and again, everyone upvote that panel request!

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 03, 2022 Aug 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this thread is a couple of months old, but consider using search bins in order to get around your project file structure. Create a search bin, set to Media Type and find "Movie" (for audio+video) or "Video" (for video only). You can select all the search reseults and apply your changes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 03, 2022 Aug 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent suggestion ... get all the media of any type in a search bin, you can apply CM settings ... or anything else that helps match that to the rest of the project ... as a single action.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can do it in the Bin but not the timeline. I'm working on a 56 minute
PBS doc and have to replace each shot. Absolutely a pain in the butt. I
first cut on a film table, then a 3/4 inch linear system and have edited on
every nonlinear system beginning with the first, the EMC2. I mention this
because my experience suggests that engineers often over think things. It
is hard to tell your story when technology is in the way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines