• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro Captions tool is adding an unnecessary space to the end of every line.

Community Beginner ,
Nov 24, 2021 Nov 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When using the auto-transcribe tool in Premiere Pro and clicking 'create captions,' my captions generate as normal. 

However, at the end of each caption line is an additional unnecessary space (" ")

This is knocking everything off centre, creating dead space at the end of the caption line box, and is a right pain to fix manually across 100s of lines! Do you know what is causing this?

TOPICS
Editing , Effects and Titles

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 14, 2021 Dec 14, 2021

As expected, since this problem was fixed by Beta 21.1.1 Build 59, this is fixed in the Release version 21.1.1 (build 72).

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There was a report of something like this, but I can't find a link to the thread. I don't think it was consistently adding an extra space.

Tested in Release version PR 22.0.0. A very short simple sequence; and a longer more "wordy" one. I set the caption creation to single line. In each case, some, but not every, caption line has an extra space. I do not see a pattern. It may or may not occur after a period. The transcript itself appears to be correct: there a no extra spaces in the "paragraph" of text. (I was not using speaker identification in this test.)

I also tested in Beta 22.1.1 Build 59. Neither sample shows any extra spaces. In the long sample, I only checked the first dozen captions.

I exported that transcript and imported it to PR 22.0.0. Captions created from that transcript show the extra spaces. So the extra spaces are added (or probably more correctly, "left" and not stripped) in the caption creation step, not the transcription step.

A workaround for now would be to export srt file and search/replace the extra spaces.

Another workaround would be to install the Beta version - you can install it alongside regular PR versions. Note that you can only install the lastest Beta version, which this morning is now 22.2.0 Build 1. It is a Beta version, and new bugs appear and are fixed regularly. Do the transcription there, create the captions, then export captions to .srt. Import that srt to your regular project version.

I have not tested this. Let us know.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the quick response! Yes that's exactly right, I should have clarified. The spaces occur in some lines but not all. 

I'm hestitant to try a workaround via any beta's because of the tendency crossing projects to a beta version has had to cause me issues in the past. I've bricked some project files this way. Or is it easier these days to switch back to the old software? 

Sounds like I'll need to keep removing manually until fixed, do you know how long something like this would usually take to receive a dedicated fix?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with not opening the same project in the Beta and the current Release version. The two projects can be opened in both, because the current PR project version is the same for both. But that doesn't mean that it might not create big problems when reopened in the Release version. And that project compatibility could change at any time.

You can have both versions existing on the same computer without problem - as long as you keep them straight! I was only suggesting using an export for one to the other.

We don't know how long it might take for such a bug to be fixed in the Release version.

Reason to suspect it might be soon: several of the 2022 apps were updated about a week ago. There is a fix in Beta. And while I can only say this problem is not in Beta 2.1.1 build 59, it might have been fixed many Beta versions earlier.

Reason to suspect it might not: Murphy's laws.

I agree with fixing manually for now. I love Notepad++ for exotic search and replace - and this one is pretty easy.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 14, 2021 Dec 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As expected, since this problem was fixed by Beta 21.1.1 Build 59, this is fixed in the Release version 21.1.1 (build 72).

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2023 Nov 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stan

It's unfortunately still a problem here in 2023. I'm running version 23.3.0 (build 61) and the transcription adds space between words. Sometimes at the beginning of a sentence, sometimes between words, sometimes after a comma. Sould be an easy fix to strip double spaces as they are never needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 10, 2023 Nov 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Kimvadskaer,

The problem in this thread was extra space in captions. I do not see extra spaces in PR 2024. But are you seeing extra spaces in the transcription?

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2023 Nov 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Stan, yes, I'm experiencing extra spaces in the transcription. It's random, but often.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines