Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro CC 2017 Hangs and Freezes Computer When Launched - Windows 8

New Here ,
Dec 11, 2016 Dec 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

I've been having an issue where Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2017 freezes my PC after the launch screen is started. No launch processes start. It's just the square box (I've seen threads ask this). This also happens in After Effects and Media Encoder as well, but I was still able to use older versions of CC 2015 for Photoshop and Audition before I did a clean install of Windows 8. I'd love to include the error report, but I am not quite sure where to navigate in order to find that.

I tried looking at my graphics driver and it was up-to-date. I also performed a clean install of my Windows 8 operating system on my laptop and re-installed Adobe Creative Cloud, Quicktime, Premiere Pro, After Effects, Media Encoder, and updated my NVIDIA GeForce GTX 765M driver to the latest update. I also deactivated all of my devices and signed back into Creative Cloud.

The applications worked after the fresh install of the programs, but when I restarted my computer, it reverted back to the problem. I've had this issue before and had to do a clean install about a year ago. I know it has something to do with Creative Cloud, Premiere or After Effects. I'm looking for a finite solution to this. Any help would be appreciated!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2016 Dec 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. I have also Windows 8 and  740M graphic card. ADOBE, we listen to you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 23, 2017 Jan 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here on Windows 7. Solution in my case (and others I've found on here) is to open Photoshop FIRST, then Premiere will open just fine. But, God forbid if you forget!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2017 Mar 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem as well! premiere pro CC freezes immediately after start up, right as soon as the splash screen appears, it freezes up my entire PC. I did a reinstall of premiere and it did not fix issue

i tried the help mentioned in here about opening photoshop first and that seems to work as a temporary fix

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 01, 2017 Aug 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here: starting Premiere Pro CC or Media Encoder would freeze my Windows 8,1 machine while the splash screen is displayed.

After reading the posts here I signed up for the 7 day free trial of Photoshop CC, just to see if starting that before starting Premiere would fix the problem as it did for others. To my amazement, it did!

This is 2017 Adobe -- no program should freeze the whole machine upon starting up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 01, 2017 Aug 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have had similar issues with a number of applications in the CC suite, though it would only freeze the app, not the rest of the PC, and would unfreeze after a minute or three.  After much trial and error, the resolution I found had to do with firewall and web access.  Adobe CC apps seem to check the Internet every time they launch, and if they cannot get through, they stall waiting for some response.  I think that if they have had a successful connection within the last 30 days, they eventually open fine, but it is a real frustration.

I use the Avast suite with firewall, and tested turning it off, and they loaded normally, so I figured out which processes or folders needed to be allowed/excluded.  You can do the same with most antivirus products, and you can also go into the Windows control panel and disable the firewall there temporarily to test and see if that solves it.  If so, you need to find the rules that block the Adobe CC processes and set them to allow instead. I am definitely not suggesting you leave your PC without a firewall enabled, however.

Why it works after launching PhotoShop I can only guess, but PhotoShop is a far more common app and standard firewall rules are more likely to exist or the app files to be recognized - and the apps all share certain common files.  But that is just a hunch.

The other thing I found that had a bearing on freeze issues was permissions.  You can try running with administrator permissions (right-click the app exe file, choose run as administrator) and see if that helps.  If so, you can set each app to run as admin in its properties.  This shouldn't be necessary, but it happens, I have had it on several Windows machines.

And, it could be something completely different - but these are things that have helped me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines